Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 11:19 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,865 posts, read 10,405,433 times

Advertisements

^ Well, you're certainly entitled to your 'opinions', but I've been the one presenting actual data here. So now that "I've shown you mine" (such as it is…lol), let's see yours?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 11:23 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,312,623 times
In my not so humble opinion, Sacramento (lived there for 20 years) is probably underrated. There's a lot more to it than just being close to other areas. For a city it's not too bad.

Now Bakersfield (was stuck there for three years due to my job) deserves its less than glowing reputation. If you've ever read Stephen King's book, It, well, it could have been set in Bakersfield as could Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:23 AM

6,875 posts, read 8,169,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
^ Having lived in Florida, am well aware what "humid" and "muggy" means! And Sacto definitely gets both high temps and high humidity in the summertime. Though it often cools down a lot by the evening, especially when combined with the breezes flowing in from the Bay Area (which BTW, also carry the smog up into the foothills). So relatively-speaking, yes it'll start to feel a lot cooler at night… kinda the same way your head stops hurting when you quit banging it against the wall!

Sacramento daily high & low temperatures
You obviously seem to have Florida weather in your head which is nothing like Bay Area-Sacramento weather.

Generally, in NorCall, in the summer, high humidity means relief and comfort because humidity is coming from the COLD PACIFIC unlike the warm atlantic as in florida.

When it is 83% humidity in Sacramento during the summer; 99% of the time, the temperature is 55-65F, when it is above 90F, 99% of the time Sacramento's humidity is 10-20%.

Sacramento gets high heat and high humidity in the Summer, BUT SACRAMENTO DOES NOT GET high heat and high humidity at the same time.

In the summer, in Sacramento, when the humidity is high the temperature is cool and comfortable.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:27 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,865 posts, read 10,405,433 times
^ So you say…. now prove it (unless we're claiming "native entitlement"… again)!

Old 01-03-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Sacramento gets high heat and high humidity in the Summer, BUT SACRAMENTO DOES NOT GET high heat and high humidity at the same time.

In the summer, in Sacramento, when the humidity is high the temperature is cool and comfortable.
Could have fooled me, and I've never lived in Florida, just Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, Texas and twice in three of them. I have a pretty good idea of what humidity feels like and Sacramento can decidedly be humid at times.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:38 AM

6,875 posts, read 8,169,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
^ Well, you're certainly entitled to your 'opinions', but I've been the one presenting actual data here. So now that "I've shown you mine" (such as it is…lol), let's see yours?!
Your data shows only what the overall humidity is for a 24hour period on average which leaves out very important information about the comfort level and temperature at any given hour of the day.

Sacramento, often, in the summer, will have high humidity readings but they come when the temperatures are COOL AND COMFORTABLE.

Your graphs don't show that in Sacramento it will be 90F with 10% humidity. Yes, the humidity may jump to 80% later that night and morning, but the temperature will have also plummeted to 55-65F degrees.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:45 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,509,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Could have fooled me, and I've never lived in Florida, just Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, Texas and twice in three of them. I have a pretty good idea of what humidity feels like and Sacramento can decidedly be humid at times.
Than you have nothing to compare it to. The humidity that CA gets ANYWHERE on occasion isn't even close to how comfortable it gets in the south, and especially FL most of the year.

In fact it is non existent in comparison.

Southern humidity is like walking into your bathroom fully dressed after the shower has been running on hot for 10 minutes.

It's almost comical when people in CA complain about how every once in awhile it gets a little sticky, they have no idea what real humidity and heat is like. Where it is 1am and it still 85 degrees and the humidity is at 90%.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:49 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,509,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Your data shows only what the overall humidity is for a 24hour period on average which leaves out very important information about the comfort level and temperature at any given hour of the day.

Sacramento, often, in the summer, will have high humidity readings but they come when the temperatures are COOL AND COMFORTABLE.

Your graphs don't show that in Sacramento it will be 90F with 10% humidity. Yes, the humidity may jump to 80% later that night and morning, but the temperature will have also plummeted to 55-65F degrees.
And there in lies the difference. In FL it will be 90 degrees for a high and drop down to 82 for low at night, so little relief temp wise along with the high humidity.

The beauty of CA is that once the sun starts to go down, the temperature drops by quite a bit.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Than you have nothing to compare it to.
Oh, I don't know. Lived in California (I'm a native) for about 50 of my 68 years and Sacramento for 20 of them. Rather foolish of you to make such an inaccurate statement, don't you think?

Granted, Sacramento's humidity somewhat pales in comparison to the deep South's but I was responding to another inaccurate statement that it just doesn't happen. In 11 years of walking to and from work, up to two miles each way, including summers, I got a pretty good feel for whether there was or was not humidity in the air. At times, there decidedly was.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:06 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,470,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Oh, I don't know. Lived in California (I'm a native) for about 50 of my 68 years and Sacramento for 20 of them. Rather foolish of you to make such an inaccurate statement, don't you think?

Granted, Sacramento's humidity somewhat pales in comparison to the deep South's but I was responding to another inaccurate statement that it just doesn't happen. In 11 years of walking to and from work, up to two miles each way, including summers, I got a pretty good feel for whether there was or was not humidity in the air. At times, there decidedly was.
For Example: Where I live the Humidity will be 70% at 6AM. Temp 50* in the summer. By 2PM it may be 90* and 15% humidity.

Perhaps everyone here is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California