Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 11:27 PM

642 posts, read 3,072,585 times

Advertisements

i just moved from west LA to slightly east of Goleta in between S.B city and Goleta city boundaries in the foothills above Cathedral Oaks (We are in Santa Barbara county legally). We are very, very happy here.

I do not know about Solvang, but do know a lot of people move there to raise their kids in a safe, small town environment. No matter where you choose here I do not think you can go wrong. Shoot me a message if you have any questions. Just stay away from areas too close to the college in Goleta. Would love to have you in our area . Go Red!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanezmum View Post
Anyone know the most coservative areas near Goleta or solvang?? I am a life long republican moving from Southern Cal up more north and would like to live in a more conservative area...sorry to all you dem's out there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 12:08 PM

12 posts, read 39,509 times
SLO is pretty snobby too. I work in SLO, but live in Orcutt for affordability reasons, and really get looked down upon. Santa Barbara is just absolutely beautiful, but not for the average joe to move to if they want to buy a home.

SLO is also getting a bunch of big box stores. Already have Costco and Home Depot, and trying to get Target, Lowes and a bunch more. The city fathers are tired of Santa Maria getting all the tax dollars. SLO used to have a very nice traditional downtown, very midwesterny, but now is just getting upscale stores. SLO of 10 years ago was great, but now they are just looking like any other Southern California town.

Not aware of any traffic or smog problems in Santa Maria. Definitely has the poorest population due to all the field workers. Very poor performing schools too. Orcutt schools are much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Santa Maria has gangs, smog, traffic, affordible housing, middle and poor class, and lots of big-box stores. but it has good communities like orcutt around the city.

Santa Barbara has gangs, traffic, expensive housing, high poor population (small middle class), and not getting better.

Santa Barbara is building an Edwards Cinema, and they have 2 open-air malls and the downtown for upscale shopping. Then they have some other stuff to do.

San Luis Obispo has a Regal Cinema in Arroyo Grande, Movie Experience in SLO downtown, the Grad nightclub, sunset drive-in theater, a good clean downtown, an auto mall, a strip mall with gottschalks-cost plus-bed'bath'beyond', staples-and others, a regional airport, and pricing is almost as high as santa barbara. slo is a college town, so there is a middle and rich class.

paso robles has a lot more to do than santa barbara and san luis obispo. though it's at 29,000 population right now, it will be about 65,000 population in 2030. pricing is cheap, no smog and same amount of traffic as san luis, but more gangs. though, it's hotter in paso than the other cities.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:41 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppedinit View Post
SLO is pretty snobby too. I work in SLO, but live in Orcutt for affordability reasons, and really get looked down upon. Santa Barbara is just absolutely beautiful, but not for the average joe to move to if they want to buy a home.

SLO is also getting a bunch of big box stores. Already have Costco and Home Depot, and trying to get Target, Lowes and a bunch more. The city fathers are tired of Santa Maria getting all the tax dollars. SLO used to have a very nice traditional downtown, very midwesterny, but now is just getting upscale stores. SLO of 10 years ago was great, but now they are just looking like any other Southern California town.

Not aware of any traffic or smog problems in Santa Maria. Definitely has the poorest population due to all the field workers. Very poor performing schools too. Orcutt schools are much better.
Santa Maria has good private schools, and Orcutt has good public schools. That's kind of the way it works until they build another school. There's also the charter school in Los Olivos, and u could also interdistrict transfer to Lucia Mar.

SLO is trying to get Target in Prefumo Creek Commons, Lowe's in San Luis Obispo Promenade, Macy's to replace Gottschalks, and then also next to Home Depot will be the Shops at Irish Hills with Kohl's. Kohl's originally was going where Target would have been.

The mid-west charm of SLO is long gone, and now it's become another urban coastal city. All though it has got a good economy.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:40 AM

9 posts, read 91,440 times
SLO by far is the best choice.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,147 times
California as a state sucks, give it up already.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:21 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCats82 View Post
California as a state sucks, give it up already.
You dug up a 10 month old thread to post this comment???

Regarding the original question though, San Luis Obispo.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:02 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post
bobizzy3 wrote:

Fascinating. Can you elaborate on the gang problem in SB?

One thing that has always struck me as a detriment to the SB community is that there are so-o many wealthy people, yet their school system is a majority of Hispanics. Now I can only assume based on what I know about this community is that the Hispanics students are mostly coming from the Hispaniccs servicing the wealthy population (this is not to assume there are no wealthy Hispanics in SB, there are, but we also know their is a huge population that is otherwise culturally/skin color bound and thus being serviced by the Hispanic workers i.e. maids, gardeners, etc).

Additionally much of the Hispanic population can't afford to live in SB (as can't most people!), so are these people just dropping their kids off when they go to work? I also notice SB college doesn't offer a lot in the way of experimental classes that such a cosmopolitan city does, seeming to offer classes that have nothing really to do with their general population of wealthy, well educated folks.

All of this together makes me wonder will the Hispanic population eventually rule the city, yet not live there? I know this is an odd question, but when I check out the city overall its demographics have a higher Hispanic population than most high end neighborhood or cities, which is odd because they can't seem to be able to afford the place.

I don't really understand what is going on in that community. It is very odd. Why also have such a wealthy population, but basically offer middle class to blue collar to non English speaking folks classes, but not the wealthy population that lives there. I am just confounded by this oddity of services and demographics versus the price of housing.

This is also why the gang point raised concern for me and I want to know more. We have been interested in moving to SB for sometime, so I am unsure if it is worth leaving the great offering that west LA has to offer (isolation, excellent schooling, safety, cleanliness). Sounds like we will be downgrading in lifestyle, while paying just slightly more then our present home. Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks ahead of time.
well, hispanics are also servicing the student population (UCSB) and the tourism industry in SB. And migrant workers for vineyards/agriculture. duh!!!! What? Did you think they were 'servicing' the rich, as in everyone's got their hispanic maid?

Anyway...wealthy send their kids to private schools, or neighborhood schools that other classes cannot afford to live in. Do they have open enrollment like some other districts? If so, that could be an option when looking.

But, I have said it before: If you are looking to stay in so cal, and get out of LA, to raise a family, San Diego is a much better option than SB. For so many reasons.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:22 PM

10 posts, read 28,006 times
Raised in Carpinteria and thinking of moving back (graduated in 1979, left in 1985). Familiar with the area and miss the food & lifestyle, but now that I have 2 teenage sons and the main/only bread winner, afraid I can't cut it. I'm an RN and looking for a good hospital to work at (been working in ICU) so Cottage, Ventura, SLO, Santa Ynez? Not Santa Maria please.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,226 times
Extensively researching locales along the Central Coast. SLO is by far our #1 choice to date. We will be visiting in the Winter some time and including nearby worthy contenders. From the sounds of this article I may include SB, but it certainly seems to have several things against it in my book (i.e. pomposity, crime, even more exorbitant prices). I do, however, agree with the point that standards of maintenance and hospitality shouldn't suffer in a city without the egotistical classism being shown among a few SB lovers. I also have looked into Santa Cruz, Laguna Beach, Encinitas, etc. There is just so much to love about these wonderful areas. Here's to the ethos of old money, humility, and love for all.

- A 25 year old from South FL with a flexible business.

Cheers!

Old 09-19-2018, 05:40 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
You dug up a 10 month old thread to post this comment???

Regarding the original question though, San Luis Obispo.
10 years! It's a 10-year-old thread!

Not only dug up the thread, but joined C-D, just for that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California