Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 08:54 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times

Advertisements

If you happened to grow up here, then looking back what do you think was unique or special about doing that in this particular state (assuming anyone here can still remember back that far…lol)?

For example, some friends have lotsa stories about things like growing up around SoCal low-riders, "the Haight", meeting celebrities, or having teen escapades in Tahoe, etc.… often happening during times when I was busy shoveling snow back East! So what do you particularly remember about growing up in the Golden State?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 09:12 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
"The Haight"? I gots lots of memories of that. But I didn't grow up here. I was a young man in the military leaving for and coming home from Vietnam. I had a room off base in a shared house for those "summers of love" in the Haight. The whole adventure was like a big acid trip.

Actually, come to think of, it WAS an acid trip to boot

Old 01-08-2015, 09:24 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I took for granted that we could take day trips to the beach, the mountains and the snow. My family didn't take a lot of vacations but we did stuff like that often. Just bumming around SF with my friends when we were teenagers was pretty fun, hitting all the tourist spots.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:36 PM

581 posts, read 920,931 times
What memories. Santa Monica Beach without hordes of people; free parking if you didn't walk down. Freak freely farms where hippies camped up near Ventura Beach. Rabbit hunting in what is now Marina del Rey. Renting a boat at Santa Monica pier and fishing on the other side of the break wall. Pacific Ocean Park, Hopping the tram from Santa Monica to Venice. Looking for submarines at night on Santa Monica beach with the perfect lady. Drinking Ripple. The Oar House. Little league baseball at Los Amigos park. Nights around fire pits in Playa del Rey. Long weekends at Surfrider Beach, camping in Topanga at night. Surfing station 2, station 6, Bay street, Topanga Beach, Surfrider beach and county line. Lyons drag strip. Ascot park. Watching wrestling and roller derby at the Olympic Auditorium. Camping at Big Sur. Spring Break in Palm Springs.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:55 PM

764 posts, read 2,037,178 times
Growing up in the central valley, we had access year-round to best local, fresh fruits, vegetable, and more. Our friends in ag would give our family all kinds of delicious stuff before it even hit the packing houses. We had oranges, lemons, tomatoes, and herbs in our own backyard and would give and take with our neighbors who grew other things (and these were regular yards, not farms). Having family friends who had a slaughter house and would have roasts (pig, lamb, etc) in a giant spit in their back yard.

We would visit my grandparents' farm (wheat and sheep) in northern California, take a day trip to San Francisco, and then come back to the farm at night. It was the best of both extremes: rural living and a world-class city.

Camping in Yosemite and the Sierra. Camping on the beach. Easy trips to coast, mountain, forest, desert, snow, and cities. Visiting the Missions.

As a teen, I had friends with family vacation houses in Santa Cruz and Tahoe. Good times.

Year-round road trips. Year-round outdoor activities and outdoor sports.

Class trips to Disneyland, Magic Mountain, the Monterey Aquarium, whale-watching boat trips, Sonora/Gold Country, the Exploratorium, etc.

Being able to choose from a ton of different colleges, all with in-state tuition.

Last edited by Adriatica; 01-08-2015 at 10:13 PM..

Old 01-08-2015, 10:01 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Great surf across the street at Lunada Bay, more relaxed waves at Rat Beach down the road.

Second the above referenced Ascot Raceway.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:29 PM

117 posts, read 155,166 times
I grew up in the Tenderloin area in San Francisco and my dad worked in a Senior Property(building) as an assistant manager so I've encountered all types of characters. Here's a list of what stood out:

-Knife fights my dad had to report and call 911.
-A few overdose victims
-Needles in the early morning before the street-sweepers came.
-Had a wide variety of friends (my best friends back the were Chinese and salvadorian and had a lot of Filipino and black friends.)
-Had a friend that was homeless and my dad made me stay away from his parents.
-Had to say hello to people left and right as a sign of courtesy.
-Got introduced to Vietnamese Sandwiches and Tandoori before burritos and Chinese food.
-Seen police talk it up with everyone and get to know the neighborhood before patrolling got big in the area.
-Became tolerant of young radical transplants to old fashioned Russians.

Returning to that neighborhood now, just amazed on how things remained the same(still a homeless and drug problem and still multicultural) and also changed(young professionals and college kids) yet this neighborhood still feels cohesive and the dynamics of daily living feels just as invigorating as the day I moved away.

Old 01-09-2015, 03:23 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Yes I did grow up in CA

Old 01-09-2015, 03:28 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,235 times
I grew up in the SFV and Malibu. Pretty cool and somewhat infamous places to spend one's childhood lol. I loved the beach or going to Lake Tahoe during my mom's or my dad's summer vacations. It's still my favorite lake of all time.

We also spent lots of time in other parts of the Sierra Nevadas....Pinecrest, Sonora, King's Canyon, Yosemite, and Donner Lake. To this day, the Sierras are my favorite mountain range.

I've been gone from California now since 1989. I would never live there again, but my memories of growing up there are pretty fond ones, overall

Old 01-09-2015, 05:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,579 posts, read 81,186,228 times
#1 has to be Lake Tahoe. We went there on vacation every year, and when old enough to drive I went skiing with friends in the Sierras. We still vacation there frequently despite living in another state. Most recently we rented a condo at Incline in September.

I also enjoyed camping in Yosemite, back when it wasn't so crowded and restricted, fishing at Berryessa, Del Valle, and Clear Lake, and on party boats out of the Berkeley Marina and Half Moon Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California