Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 06:45 PM

1,297 posts, read 1,807,660 times

Advertisements

OP - glad to help as you appear to be open minded and absolutely believe you will enjoy your time in the high desert! Don't be deterred by sour comments or offers of advice on how to live your life. You have an opportunity to explore some facsinating areas of the US from your new locale and hopefully you will do so!
This is an exciting venture for you and your fiance and just because there are some burnouts on the forum don't be discouraged at all by them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 07:39 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,248,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
OP - glad to help as you appear to be open minded and absolutely believe you will enjoy your time in the high desert! Don't be deterred by sour comments or offers of advice on how to live your life. You have an opportunity to explore some facsinating areas of the US from your new locale and hopefully you will do so!
This is an exciting venture for you and your fiance and just because there are some burnouts on the forum don't be discouraged at all by them.
As long as you have a car and can drive somewhere else, this is true. But, seriously, he's moving you to the armpit of California. I love CA, as I'm sure you love England. But, think of the armpit of England and tell me you'd advise a young woman from CA to move with her fiance there, with no way of traveling to any of the nice, interesting areas of England?

Just make sure you at least have a means of getting somewhere else. Just because some town is in CA, doesn't mean you'll have a great CA experience. And if you can't at least get a job in some armpit town, what are you going to do? How will you meet people?

I'm all about adventure, but smart adventure. Moving to the middle of the Mojave desert would be an adventure, but would you really want to do it?

Now, if you told me he was going to be stationed at Monterey, I'd say move now! I'm not being negative for negative's sake. And you do really need to think about what is in this move for you. Been there.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:27 AM

10 posts, read 16,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Either area is not the best of CA. If I were you, I'd stay in England and tell him you'll join him after he comes back and puts a ring on your finger. Just sayin'. You've moved for him once already, and here you are again. Now, if he was going to take you to some great area of CA where you could meet someone better, who would actually propose, I'd say go for it! But, I think you've disrupted your life enough for this guy. Time to get a ring - or a new guy. IMO.
Without sounding rude can I just say, if you've read the previous comments you'll know he has already 'put a ring on it' and FYI we're getting married in August. So no I don't think its time to get a new guy one who would actually propose because he already has & way before he even knew anything about the CA move.
& I havnt moved for him once already....that's news to me! I was moving south of UK with him once were married but Obv not now he's going US. Just saying!

Quote:
As long as you have a car and can drive somewhere else, this is true. But, seriously, he's moving you to the armpit of California. I love CA, as I'm sure you love England. But, think of the armpit of England and tell me you'd advise a young woman from CA to move with her fiance there, with no way of traveling to any of the nice, interesting areas of England?

Just make sure you at least have a means of getting somewhere else. Just because some town is in CA, doesn't mean you'll have a great CA experience. And if you can't at least get a job in some armpit town, what are you going to do? How will you meet people?

I'm all about adventure, but smart adventure. Moving to the middle of the Mojave desert would be an adventure, but would you really want to do it?

Now, if you told me he was going to be stationed at Monterey, I'd say move now! I'm not being negative for negative's sake. And you do really need to think about what is in this move for you. Been there.
I've not asked for people's oppinions on how to live my life wether I should go or stay, I've asked about the places and just wanted information on that, that's all. As I've never been there before so it will all be new to me.

I do drive and I have every intention in getting a car out there & a job. So yes il meet people's, I'm not shy so I don't think il have any problem meeting new people. I'm not worried about that.

Just because you may o had a bad experien e yourself doesn't mean everyone will have, so I appreciate you reply but I think you should keep all negative comments to your self unless your giving me information on te questions I've actually asked about!!

Thanks everyone!!

Old 01-17-2015, 07:31 AM

Also forgot to mention were go Vegas on holiday in late August so we're looking at getting a flight over to ca base to have a look!!

Old 01-17-2015, 04:45 PM

If you won't be married until August, you don't have the ring I was talking about.

But, you're right. None of my business. I'm sure everything will go great. BTW, there is a LOT of straight data without any opinions, on the city data pages. Kinda hard to get that in the forum.

Good luck.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:37 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,418,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsoke View Post
* How likely/easy will i be able to get a job myself, or will i struggle?
One thing I don't see that anyone else addressed is that you won't in fact be able to legally work while in the US if you're a UK citizen. Sorry!

But go anyway - it'll be a wonderful (maybe once in a lifetime) adventure not to be missed!

Old 01-17-2015, 08:06 PM

1,297 posts, read 1,807,660 times
Quote:

The Palmdale/Lancaster area is hardly the armpit of the US, I believe that honor belongs to Fresno. I lived in Fresno for 25 years so I believe I'm an informed statement. I don't know how long you lived in Palmdale/Lancaster but I have been there a year now and appreciate the weather and amenities offered. I have lived in LA for 20 years and unlike many that like to bash it I have found it to be a great place too.
I've no doubt the OP and her soon to be hubby will enjoy themselves immensely and I welcome them!

Old 01-17-2015, 11:00 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,622,452 times
You might want to re-post your question (changing Lemoore to Edwards AFB) and perhaps place it in the Los Angeles Forum.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:45 AM

Quote:
The Palmdale/Lancaster area is hardly the armpit of the US, I believe that honor belongs to Fresno. I lived in Fresno for 25 years so I believe I'm an informed statement. I don't know how long you lived in Palmdale/Lancaster but I have been there a year now and appreciate the weather and amenities offered. I have lived in LA for 20 years and unlike many that like to bash it I have found it to be a great place too.
I've no doubt the OP and her soon to be hubby will enjoy themselves immensely and I welcome them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
You might want to re-post your question (changing Lemoore to Edwards AFB) and perhaps place it in the Los Angeles Forum.
Good points. I was addressing Lemoore. Don't know anything about southern CA.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Thank You :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California