Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 02:19 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,645,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

A good friend is Mexican and his wife is Philipino
FYI - it's Filipino when talking about a person. If you want to be less formal, then it is Pinoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 03:12 PM

13,574 posts, read 15,546,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Im white and my wife is Mexican
'Mexican' specifies the resident of a country, not a race.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:31 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,476,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Good point, but majority of Mexicans don't consider themselves to be of a particular race, just Mexican - no matter the skin tone or ancestral background. The exceptions are recent immigrants to Mexico and those with strong tribal/indigenous ties (Maya/Zapotec/Mexica etc). If someone calls you guerito (meaning light skin or blonde) or prieto/moreno (meaning dark skinned), which usually describe skin tone, it does not mean they see you as a separate entity the way that Americans use White and Black. Not to say that there isn't prejudice in Mexico, but race isn't viewed through the American lens of solid categories, as much as it is more of spectrum.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:33 PM

9,808 posts, read 11,083,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
FYI - it's Filipino when talking about a person. If you want to be less formal, then it is Pinoy.
Well if you want to get technical, it's Pinay since she is his wife.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:05 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,772,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyCo View Post
Seems about right, I moved from San Francisco as an early teen to the eastbay and ended up going to high school in Richmond. Over there, my Hispanic friends mostly dated black, white, other Hispanic students. Seen a few that date Filipinos, though, just the guys. But, since I've moved back to San Francisco, I still haven't seen any Asian guys with Hispanic women.
Well in SoCal (Orange County and San Diego) I mostly hung out with Asian-Americans in my youth. I don't think young people are so hung up about 'race' as much as older people are. From what I have seen, most of us really don't care about race unless you are taught to dislike people from other ethnic groups.

The Asian-Hispanic thing in SoCal is pretty normal IMO.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:07 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,772,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
In OC, Hispanic male/ Asian female isn't actually that uncommon. Most specifically, it is usually Mexican dude/Vietnamese Chica. Trust me, I'm close friends with many a children of such marriages. In Long Beach, the Mexicans/Cambodians/Filipinos mix in a lot with each other.

I think in SoCal, the Mexican + anyone else mix is very common due to the fact that almost 1 of every 4 Mexicans marry outside their own ethnic group. The ratio is the same for most Asian groups.
In my circle of friends, it is Vietnamese dude with Hispanic chica. lol

All(and I do mean all) of my Vietnamese male friends married Mexicans and Colombians.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:38 PM

5 posts, read 9,128 times
In Argentina we don't mix with non whites because we don't want to become another Brazil. I mean if you ever been there you know what I am talking about. The famous Brazilian models are European and people use them as examples of what mixed Brazilian look like but that is false advertising. The mixed ones look like domican mulatos and look more black than white. I personally do not find blacks attractive and I think it's their nappy bad hair that turns me off. Mestizo women are hit or miss but apart from white women I think Asian women are yummy. Saludos boludos.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:13 AM

117 posts, read 154,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
It really does depend on the immediate area. Oakland is where you start seeing more Asian women/ Black Male couples. Probably more so than anywhere else in the Bay Area.
Yeah, I've seen many Asian women with black males but, as I've mentioned, have yet to see an Asian guy with a Hispanic woman and trust me, I go everywhere in the bay(from Pinole to Fremont)z

Old 01-17-2015, 11:22 AM

38,701 posts, read 22,697,530 times
I'm of Filipino ancestry and 2 of my 3 sisters are married to white men. The youngest sister is married to a second-generation Filipino-American man. My one nephew who is mixed white and Filipino doesn't look Filipino at all. He could easily pass as a light-skinned Hispanic.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:13 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,239,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Try telling that to a Mexican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California