Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 12:13 AM

26 posts, read 29,842 times

Advertisements

i made a thread a while back about moving out with a friend but plans have changed and i don't know when they're coming to vancouver. i was thinking it would be a good experience to live in southern california by myself for a year or two until they come back to vancouver. it's also been my dream to live in los angeles for as long as i can remember, too, so that's another reason. it would be my first time moving out as i'm only 19 going on 20.

i'm just wondering:

01. which cities are on the same level as vancouver in regards to expenses and income? are there any places that are cheaper?
02. biggest cultural differences for a canadian moving down to the united states? how would you describe livability compared to canada?
03. how is it finding a job down there?

thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 12:21 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,536,445 times
Seriously? Vancouver is usually in the top 10 of best places to live in North America and you want to trade it in for LA? Huge mistake.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Seriously? Vancouver is usually in the top 10 of best places to live in North America and you want to trade it in for LA? Huge mistake.
i was born and raised in vancouver. my family and friends are all here as well. i simply think it'd be a good experience to live somewhere new all on my own.

also, i only said i was going to be living out there for a year or two. i'm not planning to move there for the rest of my life, at least not without experiencing it first!

Old 01-22-2015, 09:57 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
how are you going to support yourself? how are you going to get a VISA?

Old 01-22-2015, 10:51 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
You won't need a visitor visa from Canada, but you can forget about legally working here. You would have to be sponsored, and all visas are gone for 2015, and in April they will be gone for 2016 as well. So come with as much money as you will need, and go back when it runs out. Sorry.

U.S. Visa

Old 01-22-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
how are you going to support yourself? how are you going to get a VISA?
i would support myself by saving up beforehand and then getting a job. i would apply for an h-2b visa and i do realize that application will take a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
You won't need a visitor visa from Canada, but you can forget about legally working here. You would have to be sponsored, and all visas are gone for 2015, and in April they will be gone for 2016 as well. So come with as much money as you will need, and go back when it runs out. Sorry.

U.S. Visa

how would i get to be sponsored? and should i just apply for 2017 then?

Old 01-22-2015, 03:23 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,536,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meringue View Post
how would i get to be sponsored? and should i just apply for 2017 then?
Its extremely difficult because they will want to know why the company couldn't hire an American citizen to do the job you would be doing. You're best bet is to just fly into Mexico and sneak across the border. You can get a job, healthcare and even a drivers license now!

Old 01-22-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Its extremely difficult because they will want to know why the company couldn't hire an American citizen to do the job you would be doing. You're best bet is to just fly into Mexico and sneak across the border. You can get a job, healthcare and even a drivers license now!
darn. i've met quite a few people with work visas in canada, i never thought it would be so difficult. i'm still going to go for it anyways, that or, start applying for a green card for the long run (potentially).

Old 01-22-2015, 03:59 PM

245 posts, read 545,145 times
Lol right, but yea dont trade Vancouver for L.A. Unless you can go to Newport beach or San Diego, but if you can't afford those you will be miserable. You may like the weather but the traffic, smog and crime will get to you after a while. I went to Vancouver last year and its a beautiful city.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce81 View Post
Lol right, but yea dont trade Vancouver for L.A. Unless you can go to Newport beach or San Diego, but if you can't afford those you will be miserable. You may like the weather but the traffic, smog and crime will get to you after a while. I went to Vancouver last year and its a beautiful city.
i'm sure vancouver is wonderful to an outsider's perspective. and it is an incredible city! however, it is rather boring for someone who was born and raised here. the city itself, while definitely a world class city, really lacks night life. and while there's quite a bit to do i've had the time to experience all there is. i've skied, snowshoed, hiked, swam, kayaked, canoed, gone horse riding, biked, zip lined, camped, climbed, caved, fished, as well as some more. i've gone on many road trips on the island and around the province, i've gone to countless festivals and events. there's hardly anything new for me to do.

it's insanely beautiful but i'm at the end of the day i'm so used to the snow capped mountains, coniferous forests, and the ocean. whenever i go to socal it's exciting because the desert, mountains, and beaches are so unlike where i'm from. the city's built so differently from here with its heavy mexican influence and the food, i adore the mexican food down there. good mexican food in vancouver is a rarity. i need to experience something different.

i don't expect los angeles to be a dream at all, i'm sure there will be lots of things i won't like about it. i'm familiar with the traffic already, having been there i know what to expect, and the smog isn't as bad as people make it out to be. while vancouver's isn't as high as los angeles, we have high crime rates as well. it's a problem for us here, too. either way, if i end up not liking it, i'm okay with that. as i stated in the beginning, i really only intend on living there for a year or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California