Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 12:52 AM

2 posts, read 5,826 times

Advertisements

Hello!

So we are currently trying to weigh the pros and cons of moving to California from Utah, and are looking to where exactly to move to. A little background: We are looking to move because my husband has a small daughter in Visalia who we wish to fight for visitation rights. He absolutely dislikes Visalia, but we want to be near enough that visitations are a possibility and I do want to live near the ocean. We have a 5 month old son, and we are both Mormons. He lived in Visalia for 2 years with the ex, so he knows it well enough to hate it.

Clovis keeps coming up as a really decent and family oriented city when I research it, but we don't know anyone who lives near there to guide us and give us the pros and cons.

I would like to know just how safe and friendly Clovis really is, how expensive is housing (we will be renting initially) and how hot does it get? (I hate winters because of all the snow, so weather is a big thing for me) how is the job market? Are good or decent paying jobs easy to find? I know that Fresno is right next to Clovis, is it more dangerous? Are there more jobs and is the commute terrible? And finally, are there LDS churches? We wouldn't mind living close to one honestly.

I am open to other city suggestions as well, but mostly I am used to a quiet and safe city, police arriving within minutes of being called, and friendly and nice people who aren't shady. I have my son to think about and the environment he will be exposed to as he grows up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 01:38 AM

764 posts, read 2,036,720 times
Clovis is pretty safe and very family-friendly. Good schools, lots of activities for kids. Housing is fair, by CA standards. For a 3/2 in a nice neighborhood, you'll pay $1500 or so for rent. Check Craigslist for listings in 93619, 93611, 93720 (NE Fresno), and 93730 (NE Fresno). Coming from Utah, expect to pay more for housing for sure.

It gets hot in the summer. 100+ temps are not uncommon. It's a dry heat. Winters are cool and foggy. Springs and fall are nice. No snow.

Job market depends on the line of work you're in. School systems, government jobs, health care are all big area employers. Fresno will have more jobs than Clovis simply because it's bigger and more major employers are there. The commute depends entirely on where you live and where you work, but it likely won't be too bad.

Fresno isn't all dangerous. The northeast part is safe (northwest isn't bad, either). Clovis and Fresno run together so it's really like one big city.

Tons of LDS churches.

Good for your husband for trying to live closer to his daughter.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:02 PM

13 posts, read 29,749 times
I will be moving to Clovis in next couple months. I plan on renting. Where are the good neighborhoods with good schools.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:46 PM

53 posts, read 91,794 times
clovis doesn't really have bad neighborhoods, just about any part of clovis will be fine.
the worst area is near old town clovis(sunnyside area), but it's so mild, it's almost not even worth mentioning.

north central fresno is also a very nice area(area around clovis north high, buchanan high, and clovis west high). Go here if you need to be around the best shopping and restaurants in town. The best park in the area is also a short drive away(woodward park)

northwest fresno(bullard high/fig garden area) has some nice homes as well, but there's a bit too much crime for me there

as for the weather
most high heat days start in june and go away in september or october.
expect lots of 90 degree days and a few 100 days(mostly in july and august)
spring and fall are beautiful here and winters are very mild
the heat isn't as bad as advertised, trust me

good luck, fellas

edit:nice apartments/condos are really cheap (800-1200) here.
sorry, i can't tell you about home pricing.

Last edited by FRESNOTOUGH; 02-27-2015 at 05:59 PM..

Old 02-27-2015, 06:33 PM

764 posts, read 2,036,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac527 View Post
I will be moving to Clovis in next couple months. I plan on renting. Where are the good neighborhoods with good schools.
Look primarily in 93611 and 93619 area codes. 93612 is a little more iffy.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:51 PM

19 posts, read 45,476 times
Clovis is safe but boring,

Old 03-10-2015, 03:09 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRESNOTOUGH View Post
clovis doesn't really have bad neighborhoods, just about any part of clovis will be fine.
the worst area is near old town clovis(sunnyside area), but it's so mild, it's almost not even worth mentioning.

north central fresno is also a very nice area(area around clovis north high, buchanan high, and clovis west high). Go here if you need to be around the best shopping and restaurants in town. The best park in the area is also a short drive away(woodward park)

northwest fresno(bullard high/fig garden area) has some nice homes as well, but there's a bit too much crime for me there

as for the weather
most high heat days start in june and go away in september or october.
expect lots of 90 degree days and a few 100 days(mostly in july and august)
spring and fall are beautiful here and winters are very mild
the heat isn't as bad as advertised, trust me

good luck, fellas

edit:nice apartments/condos are really cheap (800-1200) here.
sorry, i can't tell you about home pricing.
I agree with this person.

Fresno has too much crime and the notorious bulldogs gang. The schools in Fresno aren't that great and the school district has resorted to charter schools for wealthy families to send their kids. It does get hot and sunny in the San Joaquin Valley, but on the bright side the cost of living is way less and if you are in the ag business you will make alot of money, so it's worth it.

As the poster above said, almost all of Clovis is very nice and they have a nice outdoor mall and trader joe's.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:09 PM

19 posts, read 45,476 times
I forgot to mention Clovis was rank number one in worst air quality last year. There is a LDS church by Fresno State University, the area is not to bad. Kingsburg will be a good option and is closer to Visalia.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:51 PM

53 posts, read 91,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I agree with this person.

Fresno has too much crime and the notorious bulldogs gang. The schools in Fresno aren't that great and the school district has resorted to charter schools for wealthy families to send their kids. It does get hot and sunny in the San Joaquin Valley, but on the bright side the cost of living is way less and if you are in the ag business you will make alot of money, so it's worth it.

As the poster above said, almost all of Clovis is very nice and they have a nice outdoor mall and trader joe's.
i'd have no problem living near fig garden for a short while[2 years or so], but i wouldn't buy a house there. north central fresno and clovis are safer and in better locations.
north central homes should give you superior clovis schools.

nothing wrong with charter schools.
the top school is the area is a well funded charter school[#8 in the state]
University High School - Fresno, California - CA - School overview

haven't heard any reports about clovis air being worse...it should be no different than fresno air.

as usual, bakersfield and la were the leaders for the worst air in the state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California