Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2015, 08:17 PM

43 posts, read 143,122 times

Advertisements

I currently live in New York, I was born in California, but raised here. The weather stinks and the job market for my field is terrible...I'm a social worker. You can't find work here and if you do, it's extremely low paying. I was looking at the states which pay better and most of them are down south. I've looked into it, because it's closer to New York, but I really don't think it is my kind of place. California was also on the list...Anyone know how the job market is for social workers? If the pay is as good as they say (they are saying average is $70,000/year), in upstate New York, it's about $30,000, WITH a Master's Degree (which I have)...Any ideas on places I could look which are safe and affordable?

Thanks for any ideas...I'd be looking to move in the next 6 months or so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 08:20 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Seattle. And almost anywhere in CA. We had a member here who posted a few months ago that he was offered a social worker job more or less right out of college, with just a BA. It wasn't one of the high-paying jobs, because he only had a BA, but still, he got an offer.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:25 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
It's fairly easy to do some preliminary job searching online, why not start that way and see what kind of jobs are open. Government jobs are not always listed in the popular job sites so if that's what you are looking for you might have to hunt around a bit. I had a friend who was hired by Kaiser hospital with a BA in social work and after a few years and several promotions is doing quite nicely.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:30 PM

43 posts, read 143,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It's fairly easy to do some preliminary job searching online, why not start that way and see what kind of jobs are open. Government jobs are not always listed in the popular job sites so if that's what you are looking for you might have to hunt around a bit. I had a friend who was hired by Kaiser hospital with a BA in social work and after a few years and several promotions is doing quite nicely.
I did look on indeed, so far I've only looked at San Diego, which looks like it has a ton of jobs, but the rents look way too high...So was trying to get ideas about places with good job markets but also more affordable to narrow my search.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:01 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredinBing View Post
I did look on indeed, so far I've only looked at San Diego, which looks like it has a ton of jobs, but the rents look way too high...So was trying to get ideas about places with good job markets but also more affordable to narrow my search.
What about Sacramento? You didn't say if you had to be on the coast or not. But coastal CA will be more expensive than other areas. Even inland SD County is cheaper. You could look into Poway or La Mesa for example. Also take a look at Temecula if you want SoCal.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:25 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Here's what LA County pays:

Los Angeles County Department of Human Resources-Job Search-Job Search Results 20
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California