Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 08:18 PM

13 posts, read 17,863 times

Advertisements

I may have gotten a job offering in Death Valley California but I haven't filled out the application for it yet. I have never been there before. I want to know what's out there. I have only been to south of LA San Diego, Escondido and TJ area. What are the closet grocery stores, mall or clothing store, Gyms, near death valley. I have had trouble looking online on Google. I'm only finding hotels, couple restaurants and a ranch store.The job offers housing and meals But if I'm working and I can't get anywhere Its going to drive me crazy. I have my permit but I don't have a licenses yet. Is there city buses there or greyhound that I could possibly take if no city bus until I'm able to get my license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 08:26 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,543,963 times
Death Valley is a national park in the middle of nowhere. You'll have to drive 45 minutes to an hour to get to a town, not even a real city. The closest big city is Las Vegas, which is about two hours away.

Do you like heat? Death Valley regularly experiences temperatures in the 110-125 range every summer.

You might want to rethink this. What kind of a job is it?

http://www.nps.gov/deva/index.htm

Old 01-29-2015, 08:32 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,456,602 times
Let me guess: food service at Furnace Creek?

The nearest malls, gyms, etc. are, I assume, in Ridgecrest. That's 123 miles away. There is no public transportation available.

Tourists don't generally visit DV in order to shop or work out ... that's what Vegas is for.

If you require those amenities to live, then you might want to reconsider applying for a job there.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:40 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Default What is in Death Valley CA

Lots of graveyards?

Old 01-29-2015, 08:44 PM

10,018 posts, read 8,618,441 times
Borax
The Old Ranger
The 20 mule team

Old 01-29-2015, 09:10 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,233 times
Geez you people are tough !!!

What is that place? Scotts Castle? Going from memory. Then Bishop is not too far away. 100+ miles.

The only reason for working in a place like Death Valley is because of the lifestyle.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:12 PM

102,182 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinings92 View Post
I may have gotten a job offering in Death Valley California but I haven't filled out the application for it yet. I have never been there before. I want to know what's out there. I have only been to south of LA San Diego, Escondido and TJ area. What are the closet grocery stores, mall or clothing store, Gyms, near death valley. I have had trouble looking online on Google. I'm only finding hotels, couple restaurants and a ranch store.The job offers housing and meals But if I'm working and I can't get anywhere Its going to drive me crazy. I have my permit but I don't have a licenses yet. Is there city buses there or greyhound that I could possibly take if no city bus until I'm able to get my license.
It's going to drive you crazy. Unless you make friends with someone who has a car.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Death Valley is a national park in the middle of nowhere. You'll have to drive 45 minutes to an hour to get to a town, not even a real city. The closest big city is Las Vegas, which is about two hours away.

Do you like heat? Death Valley regularly experiences temperatures in the 110-125 range every summer.

Death Valley National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
You might want to rethink this. What kind of a job is it?

housekeeping I was told but I believe there is phone/office work as well.
yes I love heat.as long if there is wind. I like to feel the heat while the wind is blowing. I have lived in Arizona before and I love the heat. I loved how the wind blew heat toward me. but I'm not sure if death valley is hotter then Arizona.it got up to 109 degrees. I have read that death valley gets up to 120 but not sure if that will feel hotter or the same.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's going to drive you crazy. Unless you make friends with someone who has a car.
yea hopefully. but my job counselor will explain more to me. well there got to be a greyhound stop. cuz I know in quartzite AZ there is a gas station that greyhound stops at. but if I have car the drive won't bother mean I like long drives.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Geez you people are tough !!!

What is that place? Scotts Castle? Going from memory. Then Bishop is not too far away. 100+ miles.

The only reason for working in a place like Death Valley is because of the lifestyle.
yes true. I actually like the desert I have lived there a couple times with my mom and ex step dad but I wasn't on my own. this would be my first time living on my own In the desert. I wouldn't mind long drives if I had a car. I just prefer if can't get a car that everything would be in walking distance. but I'm sure I can figure it out. I adjust to things well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California