Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 03:11 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,164,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Yesterday, I was hiking at Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park again, looking for the Grove of Titans - location kept secret.

We may have found them, spotting a tree from a distance that resembles the Screaming Titans, but our legs were too tired to go and measure. We went off-trail for 6 hours.

I didn't realize it until reading last week, but that park has the world's largest redwood trees.

There are several groves and trails to park at.

One Grove of Titans tree I'd like to find in Jedediah Smith Redwoods, is "The Lost Monarch" which has a wider trunk base than the General Sherman Sequoia.

Here are a few pics of the park from hiking over a dozen times last year...
This is one park I really want to do someday. It's just so beautiful! And I see that you got photos of the elves!

Do you take anything with you to keep the wildlife away when you hike off-trail? Aren't there bears in those woods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambazon View Post
We are currently at a Residence Inn in Oxnard in Ventura County. We left home in North County San Diego last night, which bought us a little more time.

We have a hotel reservation in Monterrey for tonight (Friday) and a really nice Marriott (not a Ritz Carlton, but equivalent) in San Francisco for Saturday night. I have a feeling we'll actually be able to make it because of how organized our itinerary is. My dad went to Triple-A yesterday afternoon and spoke with a woman who provided a map with a highlighted route and circled areas worth visiting - all of which you guys have recommended .

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed anyway for SF. My dad is hoping to come home in time to catch at least some of the game between the Chargers and Patriots.

edit: by the way, I'm hoping we get as far up north to be able to see Paul Bunyan. I wanna take a stupid picture with him in my flannel shirt.
You should be able to see quite a lot with that good head start you got last night! (It was smart of your dad to go through LA at night. You cut out all that LA traffic and you'll be able to see more tomorrow!)

You're going to have a lot of fun!!

Old 01-18-2008, 10:05 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,028,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
This is one park I really want to do someday. It's just so beautiful! And I see that you got photos of the elves!

Do you take anything with you to keep the wildlife away when you hike off-trail? Aren't there bears in those woods?
Since it's a lot easier in Oregon to "pack a piece" concealed legally, we're often equipped. Over the border in the forest, it sometimes means flipping the jacket on the inside of it behind the back for external carry. If holstered under a day pack or backpack, it's not very obvious anyhow. But it's not concealed that way.

I also keep a hefty pepper spray container velcroed to the strap of my daypack.

We tend to move slow in the woods, so we don't startle wildlife. Usually, the big animals don't like people, and if they know you are coming, they sort of scram. So we stroll and walk rather than rushing along.

Actually, I've seen bears more here at the far south end of Oregon in the forest south of our home, than in CA. I saw fresh bear footprints on a hill by Blue Ledge Mine 4 miles into California when on the mountain in winter with snow on top there. When I came back an hour later, there were prints that were not there when I hiked up.

The next spring, we saw one of it's offspring in a tall dead tree looking for small animals to eat. I took photos of our children with the bear in the tree in the backdrop, down over the ledge.

A year later, about 6 miles from there, I saw a good size adult black bear run across the road about 200 feet ahead of me.

Found couger tracks, but have not seen any yet. Mainly prints in snow while hiking.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:17 AM

213 posts, read 822,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
You should be able to see quite a lot with that good head start you got last night! (It was smart of your dad to go through LA at night. You cut out all that LA traffic and you'll be able to see more tomorrow!)

You're going to have a lot of fun!!
OH HELL YEAH. We were watching the news this morning and north L.A. around Valencia is 100000x's more packed because of an big accident.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:10 PM

Made it up to Monterrey tonight. My only complaint was the LONNNGGGGG windey road (highway 1) after passing the Hearst Castle area. I started feeling a bit motion sickness from the repetitive twist and turns and felt bad for my dad having to drive that road for about 2 hours. We didn't get to actually visit the castle since we arrived at around late 4ish, but we plan on going tomorrow.

We had also stopped at a Best Buy in Santa Maria, because he wanted to buy a video camcorder so that I'd have more than enough space for good footage.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:22 AM

It's beautiful though, eh? Did you stop and see the sea lions?

You are coming back along the ocean and not via the inland route? Maybe you'll have to save Hearst Castle for another trip...

Old 01-19-2008, 12:43 AM

My dad told us we can visit it tomorrow, but after reading up on it I realized that it would've been best had we made reservations. Plus the drive is pretty far (at least it felt like it on the 1). We didn't stop and pull over though, since we just enjoyed the coastal views from inside the car.

We're going inland route on our way back, leaving San Fran really early Sunday morning.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:36 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Quote:
Made it up to Monterrey tonight. My only complaint was the LONNNGGGGG windey road (highway 1) after passing the Hearst Castle area. I started feeling a bit motion sickness from the repetitive twist and turns and felt bad for my dad having to drive that road for about 2 hours. We didn't get to actually visit the castle since we arrived at around late 4ish, but we plan on going tomorrow.

We had also stopped at a Best Buy in Santa Maria, because he wanted to buy a video camcorder so that I'd have more than enough space for good footage.
Some folks say it is better to drive Highway 1 going south. Better views looking down towards the ocean.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:37 AM

The trip overall felt shorter than I had anticipated, especially in San Francisco. I'm too lazy to upload pictures at the moment, but I've got a video with lots of them as well as some pretty good footage. Enjoy!

YouTube - California Roadtrip

Old 01-21-2008, 04:03 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,074,620 times
Quote:
The trip overall felt shorter than I had anticipated, especially in San Francisco. I'm too lazy to upload pictures at the moment, but I've got a video with lots of them as well as some pretty good footage. Enjoy!

YouTube - California Roadtrip
Woah! Fast trip. Cool video. Thanks for sharing.

PS. Who's Uncle Jesse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California