Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 05:56 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Hi George, the ones that scream "no" to me are: Orland, Livingston, Newman and Hanford. These are in the middle of dinky agricultural towns, in the middle of the state where it gets unbearably hot in the summer, and there's not much to do.

Yes, you could drive to Chico from Orland, or Fresno from Hanford, etc. But, those towns are also in the middle of the central valley where it's unbearably hot in summer.

Chico is a nice city with a university, so lots of young folk. Pretty area with lots of trees and hills and rivers. But hot to the tune of 100+ degrees for half the year.

Fresno is pretty much flat and hot. You can drive to the national parks, but it's a more barren type of terrain. And flat, flat, flat.You can see the foothills in the distance, but they're pretty much devoid of trees until you get into the national park. There is a university there, too, but it doesn't dominate the town, like it does in Chico, so the university influence (and the young folk) are just a small part of the population. Fresno doesn't feel like a college town. Chico does.

For fun, LA is great. And you can find young people by going to clubs or the beach, etc. But, you'll be dealing with traffic from hell. But, the weather is fantastic and there are beaches.

My personal favorite for you would be Eureka. This is because I would assume if you are taking agriculture, you might prefer a smaller town/city than LA, and way less traffic problems. Arcata is right next to Eureka, and has a college. Both Eureka and Arcata feel like college towns and have lots of young folk. The weather is cooler, but it's not always cloudy or rainy, like people here tend to say it is. I much prefer this weather. And the giant redwood forests are in your backyard. The ocean is in your front yard.

But, the beaches are usually much cooler temps than LA would be. If you want to hang out on a beach tanning yourself, and viewing others doing the same (ha ha), that would be LA.

Congrats on having lots of choices! And welcome!
NMSFM,

What kind of Ag do they have in Eureka? Fresno is the center of agriculture in the state. The last time I checked, metropolitan Fresno has a population of close to a million people. Fresno State has a nationally ranked sports program as is its ag program. Remember, the OP is in ag. What is the number one ag cash crop in Eureka? The number one industry in the state is agriculture and Fresno is the center for this economic engine.

//www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...o-Economy.html

This link is from CD.

OP really needs to come to visit and see for themselves. BTW...They can fly into Fresno but not so easy to Eureka. To get to Eureka they fly to SFO, rent a car, then drive 250 miles to Eureka on a 2 lane highway that's usually closed or very slow during the winter. Lots of landslides when it rains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 08:04 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
The job list included Eureka. So, the OP has a job waiting there. No need to discuss the ag business there, that was not part of the question.

I see your point. But, I personally really dislike the Fresno area, and anywhere in the Central Valley - pollution, heat, stagnant air, flat...

Different points of view.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:13 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
The job list included Eureka. So, the OP has a job waiting there. No need to discuss the ag business there, that was not part of the question.

I see your point. But, I personally really dislike the Fresno area, and anywhere in the Central Valley - pollution, heat, stagnant air, flat...

Different points of view.
I see your point. That's why I live in the foothills/mountains.

The OP will have to decide what's best for them.

BTW..Fresno's air quality is better than L.A.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:24 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post

Yikes.

The foothills and mountains are beautiful. Great place to live.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 736 times
Default foothills/mountains?

eccotecc - which foothills/mountains? East Coaster here doesn't know specifically where that means.

Quote:
I see your point. That's why I live in the foothills/mountains.

The OP will have to decide what's best for them.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:42 PM

112 posts, read 130,908 times
Quote:
Fresno has everything you're looking for.

I was taught that if you can't say something nice about a person, place, or thing, then don't say anything at all. So I won't say anything about L.A.
I agree with this. Fresno and several of the other cities you mentioned are in agricultural areas. Los Angeles is nowhere near there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California