Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2015, 08:56 PM

15 posts, read 52,071 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was caught not giving ped right of way in a marked crosswalk.
I didn't get fined by the police but got cited and have to go to court.

Why is that?

The violations says: TRAFFIC - INFRACTION

I don't understand why I didn't get a ticket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 09:02 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
A citation is a ticket. The police don't collect fines. Usually what happens is you will get a letter in the mail that will tell you what the fine is, and give you the option to pay or go to court.

Call the traffic court clerk to find out what's going on and what you need to do. The number should be on the citation you received.

Ask me how I know this LOL! I got a ticket in Shasta County for failure to signal, and got the letter in the mail. They were actually really nice at the clerk's office and let me keep delaying it to the maximum time allowed. I paid the fine, and then took traffic school online for about $12.00, and paid an additional fee to the court of around $50, in order to keep the infraction from being a point on my DMV record. It's no fun getting caught.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:06 PM

15 posts, read 52,071 times
So can it be serious?
The citation to court doesn't let me stay relaxed....

The policeman said I have almost hit the pedestrian but I didn't

Old 02-22-2015, 09:57 PM

I did some Googling, and it looks like it's handled the same way my ticket was, with the option to do traffic school. Here are some answers by people citing the cost of the fines:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...6115411AAOC6ZE

And "almost" hitting someone isn't "hitting" someone. So, your violation should be just a straight failure to yield fine, in my opinion. But, I'm no expert.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:08 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabiro View Post
So can it be serious?
The citation to court doesn't let me stay relaxed....

The policeman said I have almost hit the pedestrian but I didn't
As I recall, California Motor Vehicle Code gives pedestrians the right of way at all crosswalks and corners. I dont know that cops go out of their way to enforce this one. You just got lucky, I guess.

The little town where I live has as the main drag a state highway. Traffic can be very bad during commute times, lunch time and weekends, when tourists abound. I find myself surprised at how considerate most drivers are about pedestrian right of way. One in a while a driver fails. Hell, once in a while I fail, and as someone who walks a lot, I feel bad about those occasions.

I suggest, as NoMoreSnow explained, this is not the end of the world for you. Probably a fine and some on lie school to keep the point off your record.

Good luck.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:34 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
As I recall, California Motor Vehicle Code gives pedestrians the right of way at all crosswalks and corners. I dont know that cops go out of their way to enforce this one. You just got lucky, I guess.
In Los Angeles and neighboring cities, the police conduct stings to enforce this law.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:30 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,279,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabiro View Post
Hi,

I was caught not giving ped right of way in a marked crosswalk.
I didn't get fined by the police but got cited and have to go to court.

Why is that?

The violations says: TRAFFIC - INFRACTION

I don't understand why I didn't get a ticket
They'll tell you in court how much you must pay.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
They'll tell you in court how much you must pay.
He should get a letter. They're trying to keep things out of court as much as possible. My letter gave me a few options - pay the fine without traffic school, pay with traffic school, request a ...forgetting the terms, but for the judge to look at the case without going to court, basically, and to go to court.

They also gave me a 30 day extension from the deadline, then I called and said I still don't have the money, and can I get another extension, she said no but I could set a court date which would be at least a month away, which I did, then before my court date, I paid the fine and canceled the court date. It was a way to get another extension of time.

But, the letter I got in the mail spelled out the costs for the different options. At least that's how it worked in Shasta County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California