Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 06:15 PM

18,965 posts, read 32,462,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Yes, Sacramento is essentially part of Bay Area culture and metro, in the same way San Jose is part of SF culture in terms of enjoying urban attributes-fine dinning, theater, clubbing, bar hopping, urban shopping, and sporting events.

Not that either San Jose or Sacramento do not have urban attributes, there was a time when both cities didnt have much in urban attributes and who can deny SF’s draw when they are so close.

While Sacramento, essentially, is part of Bay Area Culture, it always had it’s own lifestyle and culture apart from the Bay Area, and still does.

What’s different now than 10 yrs ago is Sacramento’s culture has become more diverse, sophisticated and urban.
Sac is 45 miles farther from SF and not part of the Bay Area CSA, the Bay Area Media Market, etc..the way San Jose is. Not everything revolves around SF either. You try really hard to act like Sacramento is essentially a suburb of the Bay Area, which is kind of sad and insulting to your own city, but nobody I've met or seen online has ever expressed these warped views.

Quote:
Look, nobody is comparing short trips involving just a few stops on Caltrain or BART, say from El Cerrito to Oakland, or Orinda to Berkeley, or SF to Millbrae.

I talking about day trips from the southern suburbs of San Jose to SF/Berkeley/Oakland involving Caltrain, BART, light rail; or a trip from Antioch to San Bruno on BART; those are the comparisons I am making with a trip from Sacramento to the Bay Area.

You obviously have not taken Sacramento trains to A’s games and 49ers games. The trains are packed. Of course, we don’t take the train for a weekday game, it’s something we do on a weekend for a day trip.

Your bubble is burst everytime you try to downplay Sacramento with your snobbish attitude. Sacramento is not what it used to be; it’s much better in many ways, and the Bay Area is not what used to be, and the connections and transportation connections are more than you realize.
Ok, it's still well over twice as long of a trip for people from Sacramento. Tons of people from San Jose attend Giants WEEKDAY games all the time, something I'd imagine few people in Sac do.

So you go from equating Concord, Martinez, Walnut Creek,etc.. to Sac and now it's the "southern suburbs of San Jose" or Antioch LOL. I guess maybe you realized how stupid that initial comparison was but even then this one isn't much better.

Not exactly sure what bubble you burst. I never said anything derogatory about Sac initially either, just pointing out your constant riding of the Bay Area's coattails that has now evolved to Sac basically being the same as any farther out Bay Area suburb.

Funny how you never see anyone from San Diego doing this for LA despite them better connected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 06:36 PM

6,879 posts, read 8,190,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Sac is 45 miles farther from SF and not part of the Bay Area CSA, the Bay Area Media Market, etc..the way San Jose is. Not everything revolves around SF either. You try really hard to act like Sacramento is essentially a suburb of the Bay Area, which is kind of sad and insulting to your own city, but nobody I've met or seen online has ever expressed these warped views.
There you go again being snobbish, excluding Sacramento from any connection to the Bay Area as if we are as far away as Reno or Fresno. Oh, and you are back peddling again, now it's all about how Sacramento is not connected when you stated before we are connected after another poster talked about his friends and family connections.

There is nothing sad or insulting when I talk about Sacramento's connection to SF or another part of the Bay. Just as it's not sad or insulting to talk about how far away San Jose, Gilroy, Fairfield, Santa Rosa, or Brentwood(Contra Costa County) are from the city(SF) or a San Mateo County Beach. In case you don't know those cities are pretty far away in either time or distance from San Francisco depending on how and when you travel.

Last edited by Chimérique; 03-04-2015 at 07:43 PM..

Old 03-04-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
There you go again being snobbish, excluding Sacramento from any connection to the Bay Area as if we are as far away as Reno or Fresno. Oh, and you are back peddling again, now it's all about how Sacramento is not connected when you stated before we are connected after another poster talked his friends and family connections.

There is nothing sad or insulting when I talk about Sacramento's connection to SF or another part of the Bay. Just as it's not sad or insulting to talk about how far away San Jose, Gilroy, Fairfield, Santa Rosa, or Brentwood are from the city(SF) or a San Mateo County Beach. In case you don't know those cities are pretty far away in either time or distance from San Francisco depending on how and when you travel.
Sacramento is connected to the Bay Area, just not the way you are making it sound which is basically equating it to a suburb.

So when you lived in San Diego, did you consider yourself part of LA's culture?

Old 03-04-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:

So you go from equating Concord, Martinez, Walnut Creek,etc.. to Sac and now it's the "southern suburbs of San Jose" or Antioch LOL. I guess maybe you realized how stupid that initial comparison was but even then this one isn't much better.
There was nothing stupid about about using Concord, Martinez, Walnut Creek for comparison reasons. I used those cities because they are at the far reaches of the East Bay and the social-economics are similar to large areas of Sacramento.

All these cities have their own particular lifestyle, but SF being the great city it is, we all have a connection with it considering it's within a 1-2hour reach by car with decent traffic. Does that make sense.

I know what I am talking about... I have relatives and friends in Concord, Walnut Creek, Martinez, Danville, San Jose, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, Santa Rosa, Palo Alto, and Mountain View, and a few different neighborhoods in SF. And soon to have a nephew from Sacramento attending UC Berkeley while his cousin from Danville attends UC Davis......oh and I forgot my partners relatives in Alameda and Oakland.

I'm starting to wonder how well you even know the Bay Area.

Last edited by Chimérique; 03-04-2015 at 07:05 PM..

Old 03-04-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
There was nothing stupid about about using Concord, Martinez, Walnut Creek for comparison reasons. I used those cities because they are at the far reaches of the East Bay and the social-economics are similar to large areas of Sacramento.

All these cities have their own particular lifestyle, but SF being the great city it is, we all have a connection with it considering it's within a 1-2hour reach by car with decent traffic. Does that make sense.

I know what I am talking about... I have relatives and friends in Concord, Walnut Creek, Martinez, Danville, San Jose, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, Santa Rosa, Palo Alto, and Mountain View, and a few different neighborhoods in SF. And soon to have a nephew from Sacramento attending UC Berkeley while his cousin from Danville attends UC Davis......oh and I forgot my partners relatives in Alameda and Oakland.

I'm starting to wonder how well you even know the Bay Area.
It is pretty stupid considering the THOUSANDS of people that commute into SF daily from those cities, including my wife. They are far closer and much more connected to SF than Sac. Who cares if they have similar socio-economics as areas of Sac, they do for lots of metros all over the country.

Sac is 1-2 hours by car WITHOUT any traffic driving 75+ mph the whole way. Those cities are much closer and just under 30 min without traffic and connected by frequent transit, not some long train ride that comes every 1-2 hours and requires another connection into SF.

Great you have friends and family in the Bay Area, not sure what that is suppose to prove. Do you tell them you're from the "Sacramento-Bay Area"? LOL

I don't wonder how well you know the Bay Area anymore, I think it's pretty clear; you know little about it.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:

I don't wonder how well you know the Bay Area anymore, I think it's pretty clear; you know little about it.
Nobody said that Concord is less connected to SF than Sacramento.

All I was saying is that some people in those suburbs have nothing to do with SF and don’t care to, while someone in Sacramento who doesn’t even work in SF may frequent the city often for entertainment and cultural attributes.

Like I said before, I have relatives in the East Bay that have nothing to do with SF, while me and my Bay Area friends frequent the City all the time, well not so much lately as they come to Sacramento more often than I go down there because they like Sacramento better.

Your little personal attacks don’t bother me either. I am very confident of my knowledge of the Bay Area, and your opinions mean little to me, nor your silly little put-downs.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Nobody said that Concord is less connected to SF than Sacramento.

All I was saying is that some people in those suburbs have nothing to do with SF and don’t care to, while someone in Sacramento who doesn’t even work in SF may frequent the city often for entertainment and cultural attributes.

Like I said before, I have relatives in the East Bay that have nothing to do with SF, while me and my Bay Area friends frequent the City all the time, well not so much lately as they come to Sacramento more often than I go down there because they like Sacramento better.

Your little personal attacks don’t bother me either. I am very confident of my knowledge of the Bay Area, and your opinions mean little to me, nor your silly little put-downs.
You're right nobody said that, you just equated the two.

You said way more than just that. I don't doubt some people in the outer East Bay or other parts of the Bay Area have little to nothing to do with SF. That doesn't mean it represents your typical East Bay resident though and its similar to living in Sac.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:14 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,462,462 times
What's wrong with Sacramento just being itself?

Nothing snobbish about saying that it is not really part of the Bay Area, anymore than it is to say that San Diego is not part of the Orange County area, though San Diego County is next to it and some of the people in the southern part of OC commute to San Diego County for work, and vice versa.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
What's wrong with Sacramento just being itself?

Nothing snobbish about saying that it is not really part of the Bay Area, anymore than it is to say that San Diego is not part of the Orange County area, though San Diego County is next to it and some of the people in the southern part of OC commute to San Diego County for work, and vice versa.
LOL, there is nothing wrong with Sacramento being itself. We prefer it that way, but I can't help it if have ties to the Bay.

You must have not read the parts where I talk of Sacramento 's own cultural identity apart from the Bay.

There are plenty in Sactown that can't stand the Bay, and don't want anything to do with the Bay, or they are simply indifferent and do not have family or friends in the Bay.

There have always been folks down in Orange County that have no connection what so ever with Central LA/Hollywood or West LA and don't care to, but then there are those that do have strong connections either through family, friends or work.

This particular guy can't stand it when people talk of the attributes and charms of Sacramento, and he-she downplays or simply doesn't understand the cultural connection between SAC and The Bay as I've described in prior posts.

Last edited by Chimérique; 03-05-2015 at 12:09 AM..

Old 03-05-2015, 02:40 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,715,759 times
I think Folsom, Roseville, and Granite Bay are nice. Fair Oaks and Elk Grove too. What I read Sac schools aren't the best.

Here take a look:

2013 Growth API LEA List of Schools Report (CA Department of Education)

Only the charter schools meet the state's standards of having an API index of 800 or above in 2013.

Here is what it is for Rancho Cordova and Folsom:

For Elk Grove:

Even Citrus Heights seems to have some better high schools:

Now Fresno is about just as bad. But Clovis is ALOT better than Fresno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California