Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 01:14 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,734,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Why?
I have posted at length about the shortcomings of Crescent City. It is a horribly sad, depressing, poverty-stricken little town with no redeeming features except the scenery. I'm glad you like it. Someone has to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 01:37 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I have posted at length about the shortcomings of Crescent City. It is a horribly sad, depressing, poverty-stricken little town with no redeeming features except the scenery. I'm glad you like it. Someone has to.
Where were you where everyone was sad? I haven't found that to be the case at all.

If you need a large city with a lot going on, which would be Eureka, I'm guessing, then CC would not make you happy. But, my experience here is that people are friendly, and love their town.

It's fascinating how two people can experience the same place so differently.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:39 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,902,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
The Del Norte County Profile from 2014, states that they don't count temporary residents nor those who are incarcerated:

What is it?
Total population is the number of people who consider the
area their primary residence. It does not include persons
who are here temporarily, unless they consider this area their
primary residence. It also does not include the incarcerated
population. The data is estimated annually by the California
Department of Finance and reflects population estimates on
January 1 of that year. The data is released annually on May 1

http://www.dnltc.org/wp-content/uplo...rofile2014.pdf

The Crescent City website refers you to the Del Norte County Profile publication above. If the city offices were open today, I'd call them. Maybe I'll call them on Monday to put this issue to bed once and for all.
Sounds like a compromise is in order. How about the lifers are counted, the ones with less are not.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:16 PM

5 posts, read 14,002 times
Cool, NoMoreSnowForMe. It must be nice living so close to the water. We'll see what happens with where I end up living. We should be ready to buy in the next few months or so. I've been a renter all my life and am really looking forward to the security of owning--just want to be sure I find the right place. We've already been up the Oregon Coast looking, and as far as I can tell, for what I want (land and square footage-wise) I can get the most bang for my buck in Cresent City. I have been looking at the Triplicate, as someone else suggested, and it's clear that there's a meth problem up there. Sadly, I think meth is a big problem every where, it just hurts small towns especially hard. Do you see a lot of evidence of the problem in your daily life?

Old 03-08-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missghie View Post
Cool, NoMoreSnowForMe. It must be nice living so close to the water. We'll see what happens with where I end up living. We should be ready to buy in the next few months or so. I've been a renter all my life and am really looking forward to the security of owning--just want to be sure I find the right place. We've already been up the Oregon Coast looking, and as far as I can tell, for what I want (land and square footage-wise) I can get the most bang for my buck in Cresent City. I have been looking at the Triplicate, as someone else suggested, and it's clear that there's a meth problem up there. Sadly, I think meth is a big problem every where, it just hurts small towns especially hard. Do you see a lot of evidence of the problem in your daily life?
None. The only times I have even seen homeless people was once when I walked to the harbor, and went via an alley behind the buildings on Hwy 101. They looked like young camping types who partied too hard. They weren't hostile, but I was uncomfortable. Maybe they were meth users, I have no idea.

The only other homeless I've seen have been at the edge of the Walmart parking lot with a sign. I'll see one once in a while. But, Walmart must keep them out of the parking lot.

And that's it. I regularly walk by myself on the beaches, with my dog. I've seen a group here and there who were drinking beer. Looked like normal young people partying to me. Have never seen anyone scary in the Jedediah redwoods, where I also go regularly.

Otherwise, I go to Grocery Outlet, Safeway, Walgreens, Home Depot, Dollar Tree (I have seen a few homeless-looking people outside the Dollar Tree) but have never been approached for money - anywhere, ever in CC since I moved here in November. I was approached several times a day in Redding. Once in a while I'll see dirty youngish people with backpacks, but they seem to be moving on. Hwy 101 goes right through the middle of town.

So, all I can figure is that sure, there are meth users here, like there are anywhere. But, I don't know where they are. They don't impact my life at all. I live downtown.

BTW, it's much warmer when you get away from the water, even in town. But, if you go inland a bit up 199 or 101, it's much warmer. And Brookings is also warmer than CC overall. It will often be much windier right by the water, too. I love being close to the water, but you can get warmer quickly, by just getting farther away from the water.

I think your adventure is exciting! Congrats and welcome, if you choose to live up here in Del Norte Pole County :-)

Old 03-09-2015, 11:25 AM

Thanks again NoMoreSnowForMe for all the excellent info. If I can ask a few more questions, I would really appreciate it. What is the restaurant/bar scene like? Any good pizza places? As far as bars go, I do like a good dive bar, as long as it's not a "knife bar". And finally, is there any sort of artists community up there?

Thanks again!

Old 03-09-2015, 11:52 AM

Okay, first of all, I just got off the phone with the Crescent City Chamber of Commerce and Beau was right. The inmates are included in the population total. He said even though the prison is out in the county, the reason they are included is because of the water. I didn't get details, but something about water.

Missghie, I don't go out to bars anymore, but I've driven by a few. I can't tell you anything about them, because I haven't been inside any of them. I won't drink even a drop and drive anymore, so I just don't drink anywhere but at home, or if there's a DD.

As far as pizza - again, I'm on a very tight budget. But, I was thrilled to find a Papa Murphy's here - wahoo! There is also a Little Caesar's. I don't know if there is a nicer, sit-down pizza place.

Regarding artist communities, I don't know that either. But, there are two farmer's markets in CC where artists sell their stuff, so it seems it wouldn't be difficult to find artists here. The farmer's market at the fairgrounds starts up in June, I believe. There is also one that is smaller in downtown CC, that also hasn't started yet. Search facebook for Crescent City and farmer's markets to find their facebook pages. The fairgrounds facebook page is not very active at all, but the downtown one has a very active facebook page.

There is also a farmer's market in Brookings, OR, I've heard. I know the farmer's market facebook page recently listed a call for vendors at some big summer event in Brookings. There are also big events here in CC where vendors can sell. Fourth of July is huge here, and there's a Hot August Nights type of event with classic cars, that I've heard of, too. The Chamber of Commerce can tell you about a lot of this stuff, too. They were who I initially called to find out how to become a vendor at the farmer's markets here. They're really friendly and a great resource.

Another facebook page that is fun, is the CC harbor facebook page. They put photos up almost every day.

To find out about how to become a vendor at the farmer's market at the fairgrounds, you can call the Rural Center (forgetting the actual name right now). The requirements to become a vendor are really easy. I looked into it. And for the downtown one, contact them through their facebook page.

Something that looked like fun here, but I haven't done it yet, is to go watch the roller derby gals. There is a roller derby team here and they apparently skate at the fairgrounds. I think that sounds like a blast.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:36 PM

you're awesome, NoMoreSnowForMe! Thanks again!

Old 03-09-2015, 01:24 PM

You know, something the locals say here is that if you don't like the weather here, wait 5 minutes. And it was really cloudy until about 10 minutes ago and now it's clear and sunny! And the forecast was for clouds. I like to take the dog to the woods on cloudy days, but, I think we're off to the beach. It's not very windy either. I'm going to have a quick lunch and see if it's still sunny by the time I'm done, LOL! Either way, it's not supposed to rain today, so we're off!

I'm glad to help. Sorry I don't know more, but if I can be of further help, I'm happy to.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:11 PM

LMAO! Okay, I waited too long, it's cloudy again ha ha ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California