Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why is the Bay area more expensive on average than So Cal?
It's because of the density of higher paying jobs, stupid 58 52.25%
The Bay area is so much nicer than So Cal, no really, I believe that 30 27.03%
So Cal is inhabited by uncivilized barbarians whereas the Bay area is not 10 9.01%
The fog is lovely in summer along the coast up this way, cool weather is nice, warm sucks 6 5.41%
People in So Cal do not even know how to read, right? 7 6.31%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 12:21 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
And articles are always accurate and never biased, slanted, incomplete, or fueled by hidden agendas?
They are, especially if you disagree with what they say.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 02:28 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I've seen numerous articles recently pointing out that while Asian household wealth is growing, white Americans still have a substantially higher household wealth than Asians and many times higher than Hispanics or blacks. Sounds like your posts (which are pretty much off topic) are tinged with just the tiniest bit of resentment towards that demographic for whatever reason. Oh, and "ethnic" Jews ARE white.
With Hispanic households, they are taking a while to build up wealth. Think of the situation of what happened with Irish and Italian immigrants and their children.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:44 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
And articles are always accurate and never biased, slanted, incomplete, or fueled by hidden agendas?
Of course not. A thoughtful person has to weigh the single, unsubstantiated article against numerous articles from different sources - hopefully reputable and easily verifiable. While not totally foolproof you can piece together a consensus that has a bit more veracity than a troll post in an online forum. Most of the total household wealth article reference the Census Bureau or the Federal Reserve Bank.

The whole point of my post is that person's claim that "white people" are foolish in their real estate purchases for wealthy building compared to Asians and Jews. Not to mention they are uncultured and are ruining these "Asian paradise" neighborhoods by moving to them (complete with the admonishment - "go back to Europe"). I took the time to go through some of this posts. He's a raging racist towards whites where he lives in New Jersey. At least every third post has a jab at whites for one reason or the other (when held up to his ideal which are culturally and intellectually superior Indians, Middle Easterners and East Asians). I honestly don't know why a moderator hasn't called him on it yet.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:22 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,010,597 times
Because in So Cal people build where ever they can. In the bay you need a referendum, proposition, city-wide vote, and neighborhood consensus, just to build a dog house.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:53 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post
With Hispanic households, they are taking a while to build up wealth. Think of the situation of what happened with Irish and Italian immigrants and their children.
Asians make more than anyone, whites included. The fact that they do not yet have much higher levels of wealth is without question only a function of time.

http://www.pewresearch.org/daily-num...sehold-income/

Old 03-22-2015, 09:51 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,965 times
Talk about loaded questions...

Old 03-22-2015, 10:57 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Asians make more than anyone, whites included. The fact that they do not yet have much higher levels of wealth is without question only a function of time.

Asian-Americans Lead All Others in Household Income | Pew Research Center
I'll say this from a Hispanic perspective. With Hispanics, we tend to be people who just want to party, have fun, and not be so uptight about trying to be super achievers. East Asian immigrants are on the other side of the spectrum and yes, they emphasize high achievingness but too many 1st generation Asian American children I have seen aren't happy at all or are way more stressed out than Hispanics. We all pay a price for having the traits we have but we get different advantages. I will say though Hispanics are slowly building up wealth and are following the same path as what Italian-Americans did. It took until 1970 for Italian-Americans to reach parity with Anglos and I think it will be the same with Hispanics.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:00 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
Talk about loaded questions...
lol! But when anyone says that, people get on their case, for some reason.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:35 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Because the bay area is increasingly about EXCLUSION.

It strives to he a high-tech haven, full of Indians on visas, academically-impressive Asians, and whites who control things, to the exclusion of everyone else, especially blacks, Hispanics, non-techies, non-hipsters, and those older than 35. If you are over 35, you better be white, be firmly entrenched in a good old boys club, exceptionally skilled or from Stanford or Berkeley, and/or perceived as being irreplaceable in your profession.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:48 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,263,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Agreed. I would also throw San Jose/South Bay into that mix. It's a couple degrees cooler than Danville/Dublin in summer, but a few degrees warmer in winter. I've always said SJ / South Bay resembles a cooler, slightly wetter version of the San Fernando Valley, weather-wise. It has a similar look as well.
Cooler, yes. Wetter, no. Burbank actually averages more annual rainfall than San Jose, for example. But you can't argue withf average January temps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California