Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 12:02 PM

9 posts, read 62,712 times

Advertisements

We're currently in the midwest and sooooooooooo tired of it.
The weather sucks *obviously*, January tornadoes, etc etc.
We're looking into California and wondering about the weather there.
Are there any concerns as far as earthquakes, bad storms, mud slides,etc..
especially around Napa, Danville and San Fransisco.
THanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 02:51 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
The weather can vary a lot from place to place, even the ones you mentioned. SF is a little foggy for me, and earthquakes are a concern in all of the places you mentioned. small ones are no big deal. Big ones are rare, but are a big deal.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:56 PM

56 posts, read 266,850 times
Very expensive in the SF area and foggy during the summer. Very nice scenery though just way to expensive for the average family.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:51 AM

5 posts, read 27,182 times
Everything you mentioned is a concern in California. San Francisco is cold and foggy and the inland areas are somewhat quiet. Housing is more expensive there as opposed to say, San Diego. The weather in San Diego is moderate...not fantastic in my opinion because it's too cold for me. I'd steer clear of San Francisco for sure.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:25 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,016,634 times
7:30 a.m. in Long Beach now and it's 45 degrees. Prediction is during today through Tuesday it will be in the low 70's, Wed. through Friday in the high 60's with sunny skys.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:59 AM

I really believe the Midwest has the worst weather in the country. I can't stand the idea of another harsh winter... the minor concerns that have been brought up I'll deal with.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:03 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
We had a big earthquake in the past year (centered in east San Jose), and a big storm in the past week. That storm caused mudslides that shut down Highway 9, and knocked out power to several of the more remote-ish parts of the Bay Area for several days.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:25 AM

Still sounds better than what happened in Missouri & Wisconsin a few days ago.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:49 AM
JnR

1,709 posts, read 850,834 times
California weather is fantastic! Even if there is a 'big storm' that comes through it only lasts for a few days and then it is back to sunny and calm. Housing is way more expensive tho. Cheaper housing can be found in the San Joaquin valley, and although I am not fond of living there, it really isn't all that bad. In Fresno, for instance, you are only two hours away from the coast (San Luis Obispo) and about an hour away from the mountains (Sequoia Nat'l Park) to get away from it all. We live in San Luis Obispo county and it is really nice here, but housing and jobs are tight.

We contemplated moving to the mid west this last summer and took a road trip out through Iowa. Even tho it was much greener and prettier than California can be in the summertime, we both decided we just would not be able to deal with the weather issues there. Lots of wind, tornado warnings (Neb. was the worst!), humidity, bugs, etc, etc... We did like Missouri the best.

Anyway, good luck with your search!

Old 01-15-2008, 12:47 PM

708 posts, read 688,178 times
i've never heard of those places only SF and i know SF they do get some bad fog down there..Cali weather itself is ok...if we get storms they only last 1-2 days maybe 3 but very rare. This winter its been very windy!! from the santa anna winds they can come in at 50-60 mph! The winters in SoCal are nice the highs are usually 50-60s lows 40s maybe highs 30s but in North Cal of course its get colder and it snows..and they get more storms then SoCal. Earthquakes maybe to some people its a big deal but to others its not. They come ones like every 5-10 years i'd say. Also we actually have earthquake weather! Its mostly during the summer and when i use to live in SoCal earthquakes were usually during the summer and when there is no wind and it is dead silent! yes creepy but its true. Don't stop earthquakes from letting come to Cali...just be prepared.i hope this helped you out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California