Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 03:41 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times

Advertisements

One of the reasons I suggested Ventura is because it is smaller with the probability of much shorter commute times from home to business. Traffic in the entire LA are is simply unbelievable. Since you have stressed prioritizing your son's needs, I just wanted to suggest again that you look at the area. Years ago I cared for a group of 4 autistic boys there, and it was so great to have the beach to take them to in late afternoon or dinner time when hardly anyone was there to stare. There are also small parks and camp grounds that aren't overly packed with people. Medical care is superb (I'm an RN btw). Good Luck with your relocation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 07:41 PM

6 posts, read 11,537 times
I second the recommendation for Santa Ana. The business climate is very friendly (we opened the third branch of our business there a year ago). It's centrally located, great for travel (where John Wayne Airport is), and it's super close to really nice living areas. I'd recommend putting the business in Santa Ana, and then living in one of the upscale coastal towns (Newport, Corona del Mar, etc.).
Good luck!

Old 03-30-2015, 07:58 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metairie View Post
Our wages are above minimum wage
The grammar police will correct the post.

"Our company's wages are above minimum wage"

Old 03-31-2015, 12:21 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
Quote:
We have a 6 yr old son and 3 small old dogs. We have recently started considering CA, specifically southern CA but are open with looking further north as well. We have a manufacturing business that will have a second main location in CA if we come. So any place we choose needs to have some industrial property within 20 miles. Our wages are above minimum wage but more unskilled jobs and an assistant manager would need to be hired in the area. We need good school options and low humidity as a must. We love fashion, shopping, to eat out, sunshine, cool breezes, etc... We can spend a decent amount on housing so nice upscale areas can be considered. We have considered Calabasas since there is some industrial property isn't too far in a neighboring area. Any suggestions?
Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, Irvine..so many industrial parks to look at

Old 03-31-2015, 12:42 PM

43 posts, read 54,464 times
I second Harpaint. Head out more towards the Ventura side. I lived in Calabasas for 6 years, Malibu for 2 and Thousand Oaks for 5. I also spent a lot of time out in Camarillo. The temperature variance alone is worth it. The temperatures in Calabasas were totally UNBEARABLE for me in the spring/summer/fall. Many days around 100 degrees or more. Two weeks ago it was 96 degrees there when I was visiting family. Just going 10 miles north to Thousand Oaks was a 10 degree difference. And then another 10 miles+ to Camarillo is another 10 degree difference.

Thousand Oaks and north are much prettier, much less built up, less crime, and greener. Ventura is lovely. The people seemed more genuine, laid back, less fake/plastic. If I ever moved back to that area it would be to Ventura or Santa Barbara....

The benefit of Calabasas is that you have two canyons (Malibu and Kanan) to the beach and that it's right next to Agoura and Westlake which are pretty areas. But to be honest, I would never put my kids in public schools anywhere around there. From employees to neighbors to friends, all of them ended up putting their kids in private schools because of terrible experiences with the public school system and quality of education. I don't have children myself so that wasn't an issue.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:50 AM

471 posts, read 600,829 times
Quote:
We will be keeping a second distributing location in another state, so we will be ok. We put our son up pretty high in our decisions because he has mild autism and we've had some difficulty with schooling (in the hillbilly south) and good medical intervention for him in the past. He's a huge priority because he's mild enough that every decision we make now could effect his potential. However I do agree with a lot of your post otherwise. Thanks for valuable thoughts to consider.
I would consider Newbury Park, which is part of Thousand Oaks. It is close enough to Oxnard, which has the industrial and workers you would be looking for. The weather is fantastic. Thousand Oaks and Newbury Park are amazing places to live. Safe, clean, upscale, and great weather.

There is an elementary school in Newbury Park that is sort of an "autism magnet" school. Its a regular elementary school but has a focus on ASD and the environment there is incredibly supportive. If you have a son that may be ASD, this would be one of the best places to be, IMO.

Thousand Oaks has all the shopping, dining and other options you would be looking for.

Hope this helps, feel free to MSG me if you would like more info.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:02 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
In Northern CA, Folsom came to mind. Upscale, fantastic schools. Their high school put in a state-of-the-art theater that the city uses for events, too. Intel has a huge facility there. Folsom is more yuppy culture than Davis, which was another town that came to mind that has great schools. But, Davis is more granola. But, very educated granola and very family friendly.

You could easily go into Sacto from either Folsom or Davis for events, restaurants, etc., too.

You could probably put your manufacturing plant in West Sacramento, or another area around Sacramento.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California