Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 03:54 PM

986 posts, read 2,507,173 times

Advertisements

California has mandated 25% water rationing across the state, which is unprecedented. But the reaction to it is old news.

Here are superficial solutions proposed by various groups and ideologies:

Build more dams! So they can store what water from what snowpack? Flood our remaining wild rivers so we can cram as many people as possible into CA for the sake of "economic growth?" What's the ultimate point of making the economy ever-larger? Servicing debt on fiat money and making top-skimmers rich, mainly.

Let the delta smelt go extinct. It's just a tiny fish! Sure, let's wreck the delta's ecology by diverting more water to farms instead of admitting that people are the problem. That fish is a bellwether species, not just a random triviality.

Abolish the Coastal Commission and build desalination plants! Yet another excuse for more population growth and environmental destruction. It's also very energy intensive and mainly practical in oil-soaked nations like Saudi Arabia (the U.S. "shale revolution" may peak by 2020 or so). Solar powered desalination plants may work in some areas but they still perpetuate the agenda of limitless growth and bigger messes down the road.

Stop immigration! A very smart idea, but many don't see it in carrying-capacity terms, just the old "save our jobs" mentality. A number of conservatives wouldn't mind if CA had a white overpopulation problem, which they'd rationalize as fair competition. They miss the bigger issue of people-overload.

To truly fix this problem as much as possible, I think we should:
  • Curb immigration and increase family planning aid for Mexico and other pressure-cooker nations.
  • Offer birth control incentives to Californians who maintain high birthrates after arriving.
  • Practice more personal restraint and stop wasting all resources, not just water. Idling engines for no reason is a common example of waste. Oil should be conserved at any price point.
  • Growth must cease at some point on this finite planet and quality of life will decline if business-as-usual prevails. We need to phase out the mindless chant of "grow the economy!" Aren't most of you at least tired of the traffic jams?

Here's a 2004 article that rings truer each day, drought or no drought: Infinite Ingress - LA Times

R.I.P. Marc Reisner, who saw this coming decades ago, as did most scientists. The typical reaction was, "yes, but we need to grow the blessed economy forever." Maybe now people will wake up to limits.

Last edited by ca_north; 04-02-2015 at 04:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 03:57 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
Correction: California has mandated 25% reductions in water use across the state - EXCEPT among the agricultural users whose profligate use of subsidized water has been largely responsible for bringing us to this point.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:30 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
I wonder if the OP is volunteering to leave to help solve the problem?

Back in reality, we are not going to kick people out of the state. Brown is actually doing the opposit.

I think it is funny when you say truely fix the issue and then list things that won't do anything to actually address the problem.

Here are your options that really "solve" the problem

Stop growing food sans soy beans, delicious.
Force baby quotas like China to limit birth rate, nothing more american.
Or build damns to store water in wet years for dry years.

So of the above, which sounds more reasonable? I'm thinking the third option.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:33 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Correction: California has mandated 25% reductions in water use across the state - EXCEPT among the agricultural users whose profligate use of subsidized water has been largely responsible for bringing us to this point.
Glad to see some of us are informed as well about this CRISIS

Old 04-02-2015, 04:51 PM

462 posts, read 741,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I wonder if the OP is volunteering to leave to help solve the problem?

Back in reality, we are not going to kick people out of the state. Brown is actually doing the opposit.

I think it is funny when you say truely fix the issue and then list things that won't do anything to actually address the problem.

Here are your options that really "solve" the problem

Stop growing food sans soy beans, delicious.
Force baby quotas like China to limit birth rate, nothing more american.
Or build damns to store water in wet years for dry years.

So of the above, which sounds more reasonable? I'm thinking the third option.
Building more dams at this point is futile if theres no water/snow melt to fill them.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson502 View Post
Building more dams at this point is futile if theres no water/snow melt to fill them.
That's the thing with cycles. Sometimes it is dry, like now, other times it is wet, like four years ago. That's why dams work so well, you see when you are in a wet cycle and you have more fresh water than you can use you can save that water instead of letting it flow into the ocean. Then in the dry years you take that extra water you stored and use it when needed.

It will not always be dry, just like it will not always be wet. It will take time to build new dams. Hopefully they can be built before the next wet cycle. Knowing this state, we may be able to get a few dams built before the wet cycle after the next one.

A fitting quote re your OP
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt

Last edited by shooting4life; 04-02-2015 at 05:27 PM..

Old 04-02-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
That's the thing with cycles. Sometimes it is dry, like now, other times it is wet, like four years ago. That's why dams work so well, you see when you are in a wet cycle and you have more fresh water than you can use you can save that water instead of letting it flow into the ocean. Then in the dry years you take that extra water you stored and use it when needed.

It will not always be dry, just like it will not always be wet. It will take time to build new dams. Hopefully they can be built before the next wet cycle. Knowing this state, we may be able to get a few dams built before the wet cycle after the next one.

A fitting quote re your OP
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt
You cant simply assume that the rains will just come back. If you look at CA's climate history in the past, you will find that from analyzing tree rings that droughts in CA's past have lasted decades or even centuries. The 20th century was unusually wet, and the state is reverting back into a desert. I understand your whole premise of storing water in wet years, but thats completely irrelevant at this point since theres nothing to fill it. Truthfully, anyone with any foresight saw this situation coming decades ago.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson502 View Post
You cant simply assume that the rains will just come back. If you look at CA's climate history in the past, you will find that from analyzing tree rings that droughts in CA's past have lasted decades or even centuries. The 20th century was unusually wet, and the state is reverting back into a desert. I understand your whole premise of storing water in wet years, but thats completely irrelevant at this point since theres nothing to fill it. Truthfully, anyone with any foresight saw this situation coming decades ago.
If you want to hang your hat on "it will never rain in a meaningful way again" argument, feel free. I was unaware climate had shifted in the last 4 years from wet to never raining again.

Easy solution, instead of spending money on the hsr build a pipeline from wet part of the country to the dry part of the country.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
If you want to hang your hat on "it will never rain in a meaningful way again" argument, feel free. I was unaware climate had shifted in the last 4 years from wet to never raining again.

Easy solution, instead of spending money on the hsr build a pipeline from wet part of the country to the dry part of the country.
I never said it will never rain in a meaningful way again, but as I have stated long lasting droughts of this nature are not uncommon in CA's past. I agree the HSR funds should be used to address the drought, but that's not likely to happen given the joke of a response to the drought the state has taken.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:58 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Simple solution. The Gov in DC declares a National Emergency in CA orders Desalination plants built and this gets rid of the delays environmentalists cause, a treatment of sewage program by each County and the now clean water is returned to the County that does it for use again, it is called .... Recycling; and maybe even a pipe line from the Columbia River.

#1 and #2 are the most likely and cost effective.

As to AG, well they keep growing or we have no veggies, fruit, nuts, etc or it costs more out of our pocket to import such. In other words no matter what, it will cost the residents because their elected representatives were pandering to special interest groups and ignored the need. Oh, OC a "conservative" County has done one of the above and SD is building a desalination plant. How are the Liberal Counties doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California