Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 05:22 PM

67 posts, read 125,183 times

Advertisements

I know, another comparison - but am curious on your opinions in my specific case.

About me - I'm a 34 year old single guy. I'm from Chicago, but currently live on the east coast in a very little sleepy beach town. I'm ready for better weather, better amenities, better things to do and better dating pool.

I'm debating which of the two areas to focus on - Orange County or San Diego. Ive been to San Diego numerous times, and only OC a couple times, but it was a while ago.

What I like:

- Sunshine
- Riding bikes
- Parks
- Nice gyms
- Nice people
- People with ambition, but not "go, go, go"
- Great restaurants
- Comedy Clubs
- Movie theaters (Love Cinepolis)
- Shopping (Love UTC Mall or Irvine Spectrum)
- Hiking/Jogging/Walking Trails (Love Torrey Pines)
- Boardwalks/Baywalks
- Not gridlocked traffic 24/7
- Good dating options from genuine people

I don't surf, and don't seem to have much in common with the hardcore surfers. But I'm very casual, I'd live in shorts and a t-shirt if I could. I'm in technology and real estate, but actually work from home. $250k/yr salary. I don't need to be central for anywhere to work. But do want to be able to run errands during the week and sit in traffic for hours to go 3 miles.

Which area(s) would you recommend over the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 06:18 PM

75 posts, read 98,794 times
Newport Beach.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:25 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
- Sunshine..the same
- Riding bikes...the same
- Parks...in the end, the same. Although Balboa Park is amazing, we have so many parks in OC.
- Nice gyms...the same although OC is inundated and has many specialized gyms.
- Nice people...the same although having lived in both, I find people in OC more friendly
- People with ambition, but not "go, go, go"; OC BY A WIDE MARGIN
- Great restaurants...The same (we have access to LA too, so that's a toss up).
- Comedy Clubs...Irvine, Brea. I haven't been to any in SD County and thus am not sure but remember we have access to LA, a real city with many venues. OC allows you to live in a quiet area and access LA's venues.
- Movie theaters (Love Cinepolis)...I love Cineopolis too. (We have this in Laguna Niguel and likely elsewhere in OC; SD has it too in very nice areas too like La Costa and Del Mar).
- Shopping (Love UTC Mall or Irvine Spectrum). Agreed that both are awesome. It's a draw, but if and when you have a lady friend, we have Bloomingdales and many other shopping possibilities that are a bit harder or in many cases, unavailable in San Diego
- Hiking/Jogging/Walking Trails (Love Torrey Pines)...What about Laguna Canyon, Crystal Cove, Aliso Wilderness Trails (into Laguna Beach)? Are you sure OC doesn't win this? Truly breathtaking places. I would have to give the edge to OC but others could differ.
- Boardwalks/Baywalks...This comes down to personal preference.
- Not gridlocked traffic 24/7...I work from home and many in OC do too.
- Good dating options from genuine people...This comes down to personal preference.

Definitely OC. I recommend Newport for you, but much depends on where you would work. If you want sleepier, Dana Point. If you want artsy and tons of restaurants, shops and people, Laguna Beach. If you want sleepy and upscale, Dana Point. If you want fun, walkable and pretty, San Clemente.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:39 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verdegallardo View Post
I know, another comparison - but am curious on your opinions in my specific case.

About me - I'm a 34 year old single guy. I'm from Chicago, but currently live on the east coast in a very little sleepy beach town. I'm ready for better weather, better amenities, better things to do and better dating pool.

I'm debating which of the two areas to focus on - Orange County or San Diego. Ive been to San Diego numerous times, and only OC a couple times, but it was a while ago.

What I like:

- Sunshine
- Riding bikes
- Parks
- Nice gyms
- Nice people
- Great restaurants
- Comedy Clubs
- Boardwalks/Baywalks

I don't surf, and don't seem to have much in common with the hardcore surfers. But I'm very casual, I'd live in shorts and a t-shirt if I could. I'm in technology and real estate, but actually work from home. $250k/yr salary. I don't need to be central for anywhere to work. But do want to be able to run errands during the week and sit in traffic for hours to go 3 miles.

You can find everything in both areas, but you will drive more in OC.

Its got to be up to you and how you feel about an area, really. You've got to go with your gut instinct.

On another note, it is so interesting to see how successful Cinepolis has become in the States. I used to go to that movie theater in Tijuana years ago when I was in High School. You could eat sushi, wine, and crepes while laying back in black leather seats. For years that was the only movie theater I would go to!

Old 04-24-2015, 10:05 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verdegallardo View Post

What I like:

- Sunshine
- Riding bikes
- Parks
- Nice gyms
- Nice people
- Great restaurants
- Comedy Clubs
- Boardwalks/Baywalks

I think both areas are not that different overall when it comes to your likes except a few.

I think San Diego is better for hiking/jogging as it has more open space/canyons all over the metro. OC can be very developed, flat, and sprawly over large areas imo.

Traffic is worse overall in OC too.

I've never lived in OC but just don't care for the vibe/people there too much for whatever reason. I like SD as it's a traditional metro with an urban core/central area. OC is technically a suburb, a large fairly independent one though. I think it's more scenic overall and has more interesting areas to live in.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:14 PM

426 posts, read 424,040 times
Why would a single guy with that kind of a pay live in OC. I would seriously live in LA. OC is where you settle down.

If I made that kind of jack, I'll have girlfriends name Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Sunday, I'll go to church for all the sins I've committed the days before.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:43 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I think both areas are not that different overall when it comes to your likes except a few.

I think San Diego is better for hiking/jogging as it has more open space/canyons all over the metro. OC can be very developed, flat, and sprawly over large areas imo.

Traffic is worse overall in OC too.

I've never lived in OC but just don't care for the vibe/people there too much for whatever reason. I like SD as it's a traditional metro with an urban core/central area. OC is technically a suburb, a large fairly independent one though. I think it's more scenic overall and has more interesting areas to live in.
All of this is very true. It is definitely easier to get around in San Diego. If you live in central SD, everything is 10-20 minutes away. In OC, everything is sprawled out.

Living in SD I go to the beach, hiking, and to museum events often. Everything is so close.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:41 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
- Sunshine..the same
- Riding bikes...the same
- Parks...in the end, the same. Although Balboa Park is amazing, we have so many parks in OC.
- Nice gyms...the same although OC is inundated and has many specialized gyms.
- Nice people...the same although having lived in both, I find people in OC more friendly
- People with ambition, but not "go, go, go"; OC BY A WIDE MARGIN
- Great restaurants...The same (we have access to LA too, so that's a toss up).
- Comedy Clubs...Irvine, Brea. I haven't been to any in SD County and thus am not sure but remember we have access to LA, a real city with many venues. OC allows you to live in a quiet area and access LA's venues.
- Movie theaters (Love Cinepolis)...I love Cineopolis too. (We have this in Laguna Niguel and likely elsewhere in OC; SD has it too in very nice areas too like La Costa and Del Mar).
- Shopping (Love UTC Mall or Irvine Spectrum). Agreed that both are awesome. It's a draw, but if and when you have a lady friend, we have Bloomingdales and many other shopping possibilities that are a bit harder or in many cases, unavailable in San Diego
- Hiking/Jogging/Walking Trails (Love Torrey Pines)...What about Laguna Canyon, Crystal Cove, Aliso Wilderness Trails (into Laguna Beach)? Are you sure OC doesn't win this? Truly breathtaking places. I would have to give the edge to OC but others could differ.
- Boardwalks/Baywalks...This comes down to personal preference.
- Not gridlocked traffic 24/7...I work from home and many in OC do too.
- Good dating options from genuine people...This comes down to personal preference.

Definitely OC. I recommend Newport for you, but much depends on where you would work. If you want sleepier, Dana Point. If you want artsy and tons of restaurants, shops and people, Laguna Beach. If you want sleepy and upscale, Dana Point. If you want fun, walkable and pretty, San Clemente.
What this person said. To add on to traffic and crime....

Traffic - The biggest downside is that Orange County is traffic nightmare, only second to LA in CA's worse traffic mess. Third going to San Jose, but I won't go there. This is because of Disneyland, Angel's Stadium, and Knotts Berry Farm and higher population density being mostly in northern OC and is also south of Long Beach and LA traffic.

San Diego in the 60s saw the traffic messes and better planned and was said to have one of the most "model freeway systems" of it's time. Traffic is heavier in San Diego than it's suburbs and outer smaller cities.

Crime - I will also add that some people have a problem with San Diego because of crime coming in from Tijuana, MX. Rather this is true or not, I don't know. OC is relatively safer, but that's also because it's more suburban and spread out so crime doesn't concentrate as much in one area.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,679 times
OC has the highest number of homeless people, they everywhere! I was working in Brea, and yes, they are sleeping under trees over there too, right next to someone's fence. OC has a lot of crime and mexican mafia. SD has a lot of homeless, BUT only in downtown of SD city near a tourist area like Midway ship. If you go to Oceanside or Carlsbad there no homeless at all, as well as in Poway.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:44 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,072 times
Relative to San Diego County, a larger share of Orange County’s population was born and raised in California. As a result, I personally find Orange County to have a more decidedly Californian vibe than San Diego County. Since Orange County has more California natives, including many residents who were born and raised in within the county, and a more robust local economy with access to an even larger economy in Los Angeles County, the population of Orange County is, in my opinion, less transient than that of San Diego County. Based on my time in San Diego County, it seems like most of the non-Hispanic white residents are either from Arizona or the Midwest and generally move on after a few years for either personal or professional reasons (e.g., career advancement, missing their hometown, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California