Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 01:25 PM

50 posts, read 229,057 times

Advertisements

I've narrowed down where I want to move for the next year or three of my life to 2 places - Boston or Southern California, but I've reached the point that I'm stuck and simply can't decide between the two. Yes, both are expensive - but I'm a young single 20-something guy recently out of college looking for a change in life and some more excitement, and that's going to cost me wherever I go. Also, I have absolutely no desire to own a home at any point in the near future; I fully intend to be renting.

It seams like both areas would be good for someone in my situation, obviously each with their ups and downs. I really enjoyed Boston when I visited, and right now it has allot going for it, for instance sports (Pats, Sox, Boston College, Celtics, etc.), lots of nearby colleges/young people, & great nightlife. I am also a big fan of their public transportation and the fact that you could get most anywhere in the city and surrounding area without a car while still feeling relatively safe. I like the Irish background of the city, and Boston is one of the cleanest cities I've visited and maintains a smaller-city feel despite being a large city. However, the weather is pretty brutal (humidity... ugh, very hot summers, very cold winters) and nearly the same as what I'm used to being in PA. Peoples' general attitudes are also about the same. Also two big negatives: there didn't seam to be many outdoor activities like hiking or biking readily available, and job opportunities weren't that great for my field.

Although I've never visited So.Cal., I've been doing some research and it looks to me that there's many more job opportunities, much better weather, more activities readily available for an outdoor enthusiast, and a bit more outgoing attitude in general, with a decent enough nightlife. Also, judging by various companies' web pages, benefits, and awards, many of the employers appear to be a more employee focused rather than just client focused (this is a big plus and unlike many companies on the east coast). I posted this in the Orange County forum because the area has the most job prospects in my field, and it's likely where I'll end up if I decide on So.Cal. However, the area apparently does have some very large downsides as well, including particularly horrendous traffic, very little public transportation, very little walkability, close proximity to LA (yeah this could be a plus for some, but not me), illegal immigration issues, nearby gang activity, and of course a much larger moving expense.

If anyone out there could give advise on the subject, perhaps having lived in both areas or made the move from the east coast to the west, I'ld appreciate any input. California is a big draw and moving out there would be very exciting I'm sure, but also a bit frightening considering just how far it is from home and what's starting to look like a very high cost to move from coast to coast. Also - I have no desire to drive my a** out to California so I would likely be hiring someone to move my stuff and my car out while I fly - what can I expect this to cost?

Thanks in advance.

I also posted this in the Boston forum, but that forum doesn't get much activity so please keep replies here if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 01:28 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
It's like night and day. Both places are great and have tons to offer.

move to SoCal if you will take advantage of the outdoors with outdoor activities - running, biking, hiking, etc.

move to Boston if you want great restaurants, museums, architecture, city life.

Good luck.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:46 PM

609 posts, read 2,243,161 times
Remember one thing though, once you move to CA you get "used to" the weather. It will be very very brutal to move back to the east coast. You can take a man away from California but you can never take California away from a man.

I am totally with you in the weather in Boston thing, its very very brutal and some days there is nothing much to do except watch TV at home.

You also have to see where your family is. If it is pre-dominantly on the east coast then Boston might work better since your family visits will be a few hours drive at best.

Anything specific you are looking for in terms of your move?

Old 01-17-2008, 01:58 PM

473 posts, read 2,754,747 times
not always true...born and raised in CA...but hated the heat...it's 18 outside in upstate NY, and i'm in heaven...i very much shed my California away, like it was never there.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:04 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBaillo View Post
not always true...born and raised in CA...but hated the heat...it's 18 outside in upstate NY, and i'm in heaven...i very much shed my California away, like it was never there.
Yeah, but how long have you lived upstate? Please don't tell me it's your first winter.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:18 PM

50 posts, read 229,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerclaws View Post
Remember one thing though, once you move to CA you get "used to" the weather. It will be very very brutal to move back to the east coast. You can take a man away from California but you can never take California away from a man.

I am totally with you in the weather in Boston thing, its very very brutal and some days there is nothing much to do except watch TV at home.

You also have to see where your family is. If it is pre-dominantly on the east coast then Boston might work better since your family visits will be a few hours drive at best.

Anything specific you are looking for in terms of your move?
My family is mostly on the east coast, so if I do move to California it would probably last 2-3 years tops. Something adventurous to do while I'm young and I can, and afterwords I could see myself moving closer to family or simply going somewhere else.

The main things I'm looking for are excitement & adventure and a chance to meet new people & friends/ just a general change of pace. Where I live now is extremely boring - things shut down promptly at 8:30PM and young professionals move away from here, not to here - so I definitely don't want to live in a small town, but NYC or LA are way to big for me, nice to visit maybe once or twice a year but that's it. I like nightlife, sports, and outdoors (weather it's hiking, biking, skiing, or scuba diving doesn't matter), I'm pretty much your average guy in terms of what I enjoy. I want to live somewhere that If I get bored, I'm probably doing something wrong, and I want to live somewhere I have a decent chance at finding a few attractive intelligent single ladies as well... which pretty much eliminated Colorado from my list. A good job is definitely something that tops the list, since working takes up so much time in life, but that's more something i need to find myself.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:54 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
I'm a person that came from the southwest actually Tulsa Oklahoma, but have lived both on the east coast and the west coast On The East Coast (MA) Cape Cod..(VA)..(GA)..and have been To all of the Major East Coast Cities With The Exception Of Philly...I have lived in Los Angeles Long Beach San Francisco Oakland And Vallejo Cali and think that you can't go wrong wth either cities Boston Or L.A.(What Do you want) SoCal has it all Snow Capped Mountains , Deserts , Forest ,Valleys , and when i lived there some night clubs that stayed open 24 hours a day and Christmas Days That You Can Walk Around In Your Shorts On Cali has about 30 Other Big Cities Within The State And The National Parks And National Forests Are Out Of This World. All Major Cities On The East Coast Are Great But Do They Have Snow Boarding And Surfing On The Same Day..Oh Here Another thought why don't you go somewhere where you haven't been before aren't you from the East Coast..

Last edited by Howest2008; 01-17-2008 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: Typo's

Old 01-17-2008, 11:31 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Quote:
and I want to live somewhere I have a decent chance at finding a few attractive intelligent single ladies as well... which pretty much eliminated Colorado from my list.
... I didn't know that Colorado only had stupid ugly women living there! Do you mind if I post this over on the Colorado board?

Concerning gangs and crime, Boston is much worse than OC/LA.

Concerning outdoors activities, it takes a lot of driving to get to them in So Cal, so you're not really better off than say driving to New Hampshire from Boston. But there is more variety and less humidity once you get out there in So Cal - deserts, mountains, and ocean. On the other hand, there's also something very special about having four seasons, especially fall.

You shouldn't decide without making a trip out to California, and stay for a week if finances permit. It's really not much like what you see on TV.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:41 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
Judging from the responses before mine, I guess a lot of people feel like I do.

I love LA, but I could easily live in Boston too. (And it's one of the few cities that I feel this way about.)

You need to look at what you really want. If it doesn't bother you to move away from your family -- then come on down! If you really want to see your family fairly frequently, I'd pick Boston.

Boston has more extremes in weather than LA/OC but it's not as bad as some other parts of the country. There are winter sports too, you know, and snow sports aren't exactly "in your back yard" in Southern California. (You have to drive a ways to get to them.)

Boston has cheaper Lobster. LA offers better sushi.

Why don't you apply for jobs and see where you get hired? If you get hired in Boston, you move to Boston. If you get hired in Orange County, you move to Orange County.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:12 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Concerning gangs and crime, Boston is much worse than OC/LA.
Sorry for going OT, but I lived in the Boston area for 15 years before just recently moving south....and your statement is way off. There is very little gang activity in the Boston area overall, and certainly nothing close to the infamous Latino gangs in the LA area. Crime in the Boston area is quite low, and as you get a little further out in the suburbs, it's almost non-existant compared to LA. MA and New England in general is a very low crime area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California