Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 06:37 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,726,676 times

Advertisements

trying to nail down a trip itinerary now. we will have just about a week in CA. trying to decide if that is enough time/it's worth it to fly into San Francisco drive down the PCH into LA AND see San Diego as well.

which cities would you rather see if you're a first-timer?

San Francisco
Los Angeles
San Diego

keep in mind i am coming with my 28 year old GF who happens to like showbiz and probably wouldn't mind seeing Hollywood.

i have seen it all and personally prefer SF, and SD.

thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 08:02 AM

686 posts, read 1,101,684 times
San Francisco, then Los Angeles. Skip San Diego on a 1 week trip.

Personally, I would stick with SF, and use a few days for day trips to, perhaps, Napa and/or Monterey. But you could certainly spend the entire week in SF.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
San Francisco, then Los Angeles. Skip San Diego on a 1 week trip.

Personally, I would stick with SF, and use a few days for day trips to, perhaps, Napa and/or Monterey. But you could certainly spend the entire week in SF.
yes, but i am going to be visiting with family from wed/thurs-monday (the last half of the trip) in San Clemente which is why i thought san diego might make a nice overnight.

thanks!

Old 05-07-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
yes, but i am going to be visiting with family from wed/thurs-monday (the last half of the trip) in San Clemente which is why i thought san diego might make a nice overnight.

thanks!
Well, you didn't mention that in your post - kind of a critical piece of info that out of a week, you are spending half of it in San Clemente...you thought with 3 other days you would fly to SF, drive the PCH, and hit Los Angeles before ending up in SD? That is nuts.

In that case skip both LA and SF, and most certainly SF. Spend a couple of nights in SD, do your time in SC, and call it a trip. You could always do a day trip from SC to see "Hollywood."

Old 05-07-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Well, you didn't mention that in your post - kind of a critical piece of info that out of a week, you are spending half of it in San Clemente...you thought with 3 other days you would fly to SF, drive the PCH, and hit Los Angeles before ending up in SD? That is nuts.

In that case skip both LA and SF, and most certainly SF. Spend a couple of nights in SD, do your time in SC, and call it a trip. You could always do a day trip from SC to see "Hollywood."
fair enough. but you don't think if i fly into SF on a Saturday that i could stay Sat/Sun night in SF, drive down PCH halfway and stay in Cambria/see a winery. and continue my trip down, maybe stopping in LA on Tues before getting to SC on Wed?

Old 05-07-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
fair enough. but you don't think if i fly into SF on a Saturday that i could stay Sat/Sun night in SF, drive down PCH halfway and stay in Cambria/see a winery. and continue my trip down, maybe stopping in LA on Tues before getting to SC on Wed?
Is it physically possible? Of course it is. Would it be enjoyable? It would be miserable to me, but YMMV. Rapid fire bucket list travel is just not my style...I would concentrate a one week trip with your pre-set agenda of 3 or 4 days in SC to possible day or overnight trips to SD and LA. Including SF is nuts on this agenda, and the PCH drive is over the top.

You also have to factor in unforeseen delays caused by weather (SFO delays), and weather related road closures on the PCH. I would thoroughly read up on the PCH to make sure it is wide open these days...that PCH trip is best enjoyed broken up over 2 days, with a night somewhere enroute, FWIW...

Whatever you end up doing, PLEASE file a report on this thread, and share your experience with others - the good, the bad, the ugly.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:55 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,974 times
Mammoth Lakes and June Lake. Nothing else comes close. The best scenary in California without a doubt.

For beach scenary, drive Highway 101 from Santa Barbara to Monterey. EPIC views!

Old 05-07-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Is it physically possible? Of course it is. Would it be enjoyable? It would be miserable to me, but YMMV. Rapid fire bucket list travel is just not my style...I would concentrate a one week trip with your pre-set agenda of 3 or 4 days in SC to possible day or overnight trips to SD and LA. Including SF is nuts on this agenda, and the PCH drive is over the top.

You also have to factor in unforeseen delays caused by weather (SFO delays), and weather related road closures on the PCH. I would thoroughly read up on the PCH to make sure it is wide open these days...that PCH trip is best enjoyed broken up over 2 days, with a night somewhere enroute, FWIW...

Whatever you end up doing, PLEASE file a report on this thread, and share your experience with others - the good, the bad, the ugly.
im not entirely disagreeing with you. i think you may be right. which is why i am doing as much due dilligence now as i can.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:24 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
What weather related road closure could possibly happen on PCH in the next 6 months? And even then you could just cut over to 101 if you need to.

If you leave SF really early Monday (like before rush hour) you can probably see Monterey and Big Sur if you want. Or just head straight to the Central Coast on 101 and spend the afternoon in Cambria or Santa Barbara areas.

LA and San Diego can be day trips from San Clemente as that is pretty much right in the middle of the two. But you could spend all day Tuesday exploring LA/Hollywood on your way down before you head to SC.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:27 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Skip NorCal, do SoCal. San Diego drive through then (in order) to Palm Springs, then drive back to Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Venice Beach, Malibu. That will give you the most varied experience and the best bragging rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California