Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 09:39 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times

Advertisements

It's super early in the process still but I work in government and have applied to some positions out in Cali. In Sacramento, LA, San Diego, and San Francisco. I just want to know how much should I take into account the drought when I consider possibly moving to any of these places. I watch the news and stuff but it's hard to gather how bad it really is without living out there at least a few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 10:32 AM

80 posts, read 95,735 times
lol don't worry about the drought. just don't waste water.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:32 AM

631 posts, read 749,216 times
If you MUST move to California, Sacramento is your best bet. All the other options are unaffordable without making at least $100,000 a year. Prepare to use air conditioning 7 months out of the year and expect the same taxes from New York again.

If you are worried about the drought, don't buy property for at least 2 or 3 years to see what happens.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:35 AM

80 posts, read 95,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
If you MUST move to California, Sacramento is your best bet. All the other options are unaffordable without making at least $100,000 a year.
Where do people come up with this stuff? lol

Old 05-13-2015, 11:42 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambitions View Post
Where do people come up with this stuff? lol
Why, right here in the CA forum in C-D! We should also remind prospective newcomers of the efficacy of the old "CA will fall into the sea" warning. One cannot be too paranoid, no?
Feeling a bit thirsty. Going to get a drink of water.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:43 AM

Yeah you can survive on sub $80K, but it's going to be miserable. I could write up the numbers all over again, but I would be wasting my time. Another New Yorker looking to escape winter, another city magnet.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:48 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,951 times
Heck, I sure would't move here with high taxes, 40 million people with many of those poor, etc. plus the drought. I'd look elsewhere.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:28 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,809 times
I think you can live in SoCal for $72k if you are single. you can have your own 1-bd apt for that income w/o taking in boarder.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:10 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
If you MUST move to California, Sacramento is your best bet. All the other options are unaffordable without making at least $100,000 a year. Prepare to use air conditioning 7 months out of the year and expect the same taxes from New York again.

If you are worried about the drought, don't buy property for at least 2 or 3 years to see what happens.
Quote:
Yeah you can survive on sub $80K, but it's going to be miserable. I could write up the numbers all over again, but I would be wasting my time. Another New Yorker looking to escape winter, another city magnet.
I respectfully disagree with the college student from Modesto.
COL is CA is less than the Bronx as are the taxes. Plus CA is less of a Nanny state than NY.

Droughts come and go. Been that way for the last 10,000 years. Live your dream and give it a shot. 38 million people can't be wrong. There is a reason housing is expensive in the urban parts of CA. It is worth the price. Live your dream.

Where rents are high so are salaries. If CA was a crap hole no one would want to live here and housing would be cheap. Funny how that works.

Last edited by Mr5150; 05-13-2015 at 06:29 PM..

Old 05-13-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I respectfully disagree with the college student from Modesto.
COL is CA is less than the Bronx as are the taxes. Plus CA is less of a Nanny state than NY.

Droughts come and go. Been that way for the last 10,000 years. Live your dream and give it a shot. 38 million people can't be wrong. There is a reason housing is expensive in the urban parts of CA. It is worth the price. Live your dream.

Where rents are high so are salaries. If CA was a crap hole no one would want to live here and housing would be cheap. Funny how that works.
Says the person not even living in any of the metro areas and not providing any data whatsoever to backup any claims. Oh wait, that's right, bible belt and you can search another user's posts even if they block access to their profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
"And inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment"
First we read this in Revelation 14:

9 Then another angel, a third one, followed them, saying with a loud voice, “If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives a mark on his forehead or on his hand, 10 he also will drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is mixed in full strength in the cup of His anger; and he will be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. 11 And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever; they have no rest day and night, those who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name.”

An angel gives the warning. Seems like a nasty fate. For ever and ever, no less. Yikes!

Then we read in Revelation 20:

11 Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat upon it, from whose presence earth and heaven fled away, and no place was found for them. 12 And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged from the things which were written in the [books, according to their deeds. 13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead which were in them; and they were judged, every one of them according to their deeds. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. 15 And if anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.
I just don't see how these poor folk get a second chance after death. This is called the second death. And we are talking about the Lake O' Fire. Now I will concede, it does say that Hades gave up its dead as well as the sea. No mention of Hell.

So what I see is that there is no second chance for the unsaved dead (contrary to UR teaching). There names were not in the book of life. As you know, one's name is entered in the book of live when one accepts Jesus as Lord and Savior. So do it today! Don't wait, because when you pass on it is too late.

Have a nice afternoon or evening!

(Quotes from the NASB)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California