Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 03:30 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,020 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am new to CA and need to choose a health insurance plan once my out of state plan runs out (non obama care). I have only heard of Kaiser and I don't think that is the one for me. I am on pain meds and they seem to have a very stringent policy according to some members.

What other options are there in CA ? It would be great to find one that carries over to Mexico since I spend a lot of my time there.

Where should I begin my search and how much would a decent plan run in CA ?

Thanks so much for your help.

CNYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 03:44 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
What about the regular ones, like Blue Shield/Blue Cross? Did your pain condition develop after you joined your current plan? Do you have a chronic health condition? If so, you may qualify for the state hard-to-insure pool, which offers subsidies, depending on how much you make. Otherwise, you can wait 'til you arrive in CA, and work with a health insurance agent.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:41 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
All health plans have to comply with the ACA guidelines, so the advantage of using the ACA website is that you can compare rates, you can go here Covered California? | Official Site | Affordable Care Marketplace enter your age and your zip code and your income to see if you are eligible for a subsidy, I don't know what you mean by "not Obama care". You are NOT buying insurance from Obama you are buying it from a private insurance company. But, if you prefer, you can call a private broker and buy direct through them but neither the rates or the coverage will be different than through the website. I don't think there are any more 'high risk pools' since ACA became law the risk is spread out among all people who are insured, the only surcharge is if you are a smoker.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:57 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
All health plans have to comply with the ACA guidelines, so the advantage of using the ACA website is that you can compare rates, you can go here Covered California? | Official Site | Affordable Care Marketplace enter your age and your zip code and your income to see if you are eligible for a subsidy, I don't know what you mean by "not Obama care". You are NOT buying insurance from Obama you are buying it from a private insurance company. But, if you prefer, you can call a private broker and buy direct through them but neither the rates or the coverage will be different than through the website. I don't think there are any more 'high risk pools' since ACA became law the risk is spread out among all people who are insured, the only surcharge is if you are a smoker.
I'm in a state high risk pool. They still exist.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:42 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Do with this information what you wish, but federal funding for ca obamacare is drying up. They are looking at making cutbacks in the program since enrollment numbers are 15% below projected. Hawaii is facing the same problem, just a little farther ahead of California. If I recall correctly, one of the state senators said government healthcare just cannot work.
Amid slower growth, California's Obamacare exchange cuts proposed spending - LA Times

Old 05-16-2015, 07:59 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,020 times
I am not looking for funding. I want to buy private insurance. I guess Blue Cross/ Blue Shield is one of the best ? Can you recommend another one just as good ?

Thank You for the responses.

C

Old 05-16-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm in a state high risk pool. They still exist.
You might check to see if you still need it, from what I understand they are being 'put to rest'
Obamacare’s high-risk pools are closing for real this time - The Washington Post

Old 05-16-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I am not looking for funding. I want to buy private insurance. I guess Blue Cross/ Blue Shield is one of the best ? Can you recommend another one just as good ?

Thank You for the responses.

C
You don't need to get 'funding' to buy through the ACA, you are buying private insurance, but it offers you the ability to compare premiums, you can at least check premiums there and then call the insurance company directly if you prefer to do it that way. All health insurance offered is covered by the rules of the ACA, you only get funding if you are low income

Old 05-16-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Do with this information what you wish, but federal funding for ca obamacare is drying up. They are looking at making cutbacks in the program since enrollment numbers are 15% below projected. Hawaii is facing the same problem, just a little farther ahead of California. If I recall correctly, one of the state senators said government healthcare just cannot work.
Amid slower growth, California's Obamacare exchange cuts proposed spending - LA Times
I heard that Hawaii's problem is a messed up website just like Nevada faced. I think the subsidies are federal and if the Gov't runs out they will just print more money

Old 05-16-2015, 09:04 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I heard that Hawaii's problem is a messed up website just like Nevada faced. I think the subsidies are federal and if the Gov't runs out they will just print more money
I don't see the republicans giving out more funny money to keep obamacare going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California