Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2015, 07:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,146 times

Advertisements

The apartment complex I live in (and have lived in for 3 years) recently sold to a new owner. About 3 weeks ago I signed a new 12month lease, I was waiting for a copy but their printer jammed and i trusted them to get it back to me. I was told yesterday that the people who worked for the other company came in and tried to transfer all the leases and paperwork to digital, then shredded everything. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! Anyway, apparently they have absolutely no record of me and my tenancy, the new Lease isnt in existence and I feel like im being set up to paying for something or getting kicked out. They didnt even have recorded that I paid rent for this month!

What am I supposed to do? What are my rights? Someone please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 08:02 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,899,623 times
If you have proof that you paid rent, and you should, of course, then you are automatically on a month to month. Just sign a new lease with the new owners.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:27 AM

2 posts, read 2,146 times
I do have proof that I paid rent. The only thing i don't have is my new lease. Or anything involving my move in records. Except for the first lease i signed.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:03 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Well, obviously you moved in. Are the new owners giving you a problem? How could they be setting you up "to pay for something", if you have proof you paid rent? All you have to do is sign a new lease. Don't you have a copy of the original lease you signed 3 years ago?

Old 05-20-2015, 02:52 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times
The only thing I would be worried about is securing a record of your original security deposit. When the new owners purchased the building they took on the obligation to eventually return your security deposit when you move out. If all of their records are lost, you will need your original check from 3 years ago, or better yet your original lease, to prove how much was paid at move in so that it may be returned at move out.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:16 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonemomma View Post
The apartment complex I live in (and have lived in for 3 years) recently sold to a new owner. About 3 weeks ago I signed a new 12month lease, I was waiting for a copy but their printer jammed and i trusted them to get it back to me. I was told yesterday that the people who worked for the other company came in and tried to transfer all the leases and paperwork to digital, then shredded everything. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! Anyway, apparently they have absolutely no record of me and my tenancy, the new Lease isnt in existence and I feel like im being set up to paying for something or getting kicked out. They didnt even have recorded that I paid rent for this month!

What am I supposed to do? What are my rights? Someone please help.
By law in CA, a landlord must give you a copy of your lease within 15 days of you signing it. The law is in California Civil Code Section 1962(a)(4).

You could send them a letter like this:

Dear Landlord:

As you know I signed a new lease agreement on __________(date). While I was waiting for a copy of my lease the printer jammed and I was told I would receive a copy as soon as the printer was repaired. When I later inquired for a copy of my lease, I was told that the lease was transferred to a digital copy and the original was shredded.

Under California Civil Code Section 1962(a)(4), you must provide me with a copy of my lease within 15 days of my signing it. This time has elapsed.

Please provide me with a hard copy of my lease with my signature and the manager's signature, along with a copy of all of my move-in documents, by __________(give them a few days).

Sincerely,

You

I'm wondering if you are misunderstanding their digital copying system. Just because the copies are in digital form may not mean that they don't have copies at all.

If there is still a misunderstanding about your rent being paid for this month, you need to provide them with proof that you paid the rent.

Here is a good website with your rights:

Landlord/Tenant Book Index - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Old 05-23-2015, 11:42 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
^^^ Exactly... you are in the driver's seat because the obligation is on them.

On the face of it... I would not be too worried... glitches happen and what's the old saying... possession is 9/10ths of the law.

The above advice will help reestablish a paper trail...

Good you are being proactive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California