Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2015, 05:33 PM

26,653 posts, read 26,621,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
In California almost all public employees pay into Social Security as well as their employer's pension plan. The exceptions are teachers and Public Safety.
Not those who are city employees, who receive CalPERS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 05:53 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,318,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
In California almost all public employees pay into Social Security as well as their employer's pension plan. The exceptions are teachers and Public Safety.
But they have any deficit made up by .. CA tax payers and check what politicians get. Why should there be any plan paid for by tax payers beyond SS and that by deductions and matching amount from the employer? Who benefits at the tax payer expense?

Old 05-31-2015, 06:07 PM

42,779 posts, read 26,078,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Not those who are city employees, who receive CalPERS.
yes they do, except for Police Officers and Fire Fighters all city employees pay into Social Security.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:14 PM

42,779 posts, read 26,078,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
But they have any deficit made up by .. CA tax payers and check what politicians get. Why should there be any plan paid for by tax payers beyond SS and that by deductions and matching amount from the employer? Who benefits at the tax payer expense?
You just want to turn this into an argument about public employee benefits. I'm not interested, find someone else to argue with

Old 05-31-2015, 11:23 PM

28,110 posts, read 63,525,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic87 View Post
I originally come from an area where property tax bills are some of the highest in the nation. My parents house that was bought for under $100k in 1999 has a tax bill a little under $10k today and the income tax is similar to California's for those making under $250k. I grew up in a solid middle class neighborhood with average schools, and the more "upscale" towns are charging even more in property taxes. The teachers and cops are some of the highest paid in the nation and your average teacher make well over $100k after putting in a few years of work and it's up to the homeowners to foot their salaries.

The low property taxes are one of the reason why I am considering California because I can rest assure that I will be paying a reasonable amount. I love the simplicity of Prop 13.

IMO, I think one of the more fair tax ideas is taxing services. The nation's economy today is a service oriented economy and the tax base has shrunken compared to say 50 years ago.
Just research before you buy... tax rates/assessments can vary by 50% or more... simply between being within city limits or just outside...

I'm in Oakland and pay about 1.7% and my brothers live nearby in the country and pay a little over 1.15

The beauty of Prop 13 is it's simplicity... plus, if enough voters support higher taxes... it becomes law... witness Oakland California.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:42 AM

30,876 posts, read 36,850,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Prop 13 benefits long-term property owners. I don't see a downside to that.

I do remember life before Prop 13, when people were leaving CA in droves, and people were losing their homes in CA because the homes they bought when they were young, for say $16,000, were now worth a million. But, the people in them could not afford to pay taxes on a million dollar home. They had to sell the home they intended to live in the rest of their lives. And most of them moved out of the state. Taking their million dollars with them.
People forget about this^^^

Quote:
Prop 13 will never go away. And I'm glad. Even though I don't own property anymore.
I'm not sure about that. Never say never.

Quote:
And as far as businesses go - why would they want to stay in CA if their properties keep getting reassessed at a higher value? When that is possibly the only upside for them to have a business here?
Exactly. It's pretty much undisputed that California is one of the higher tax, higher regulation states. The only defense people on the left really come up with is "we're worth it"....which is not much of a defense at all.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:24 PM

http://www.medi-calmatters.org/

Is the organization that sponsors the spots I see and I'm seeing more of them...

Old 06-02-2015, 11:40 PM

19,163 posts, read 16,577,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Medi-Cal Matters

Is the organization that sponsors the spots I see and I'm seeing more of them...
I've seen the ads on TV but they never say how they're going to achieve this. Let's see, in order to fully fund medi-cal, more money will have to be available, right? And, dare I ask, how will they garner more money? Would it be from taxpayers? Or will they be firing up the printing press at the state capitol?

Old 06-02-2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I've seen the ads on TV but they never say how they're going to achieve this. Let's see, in order to fully fund medi-cal, more money will have to be available, right? And, dare I ask, how will they garner more money? Would it be from taxpayers? Or will they be firing up the printing press at the state capitol?
I gather the target is the funds the governor has earmarked for California's rainy day fund...

It really seems to be a full court press right now with labor, immigrant rights groups, the medical community... both physicians and hospitals and of course the children...

Was surprised to learn Medi-cal is primarily made up of children in California as opposed the people I meet that are adults under the age of 65.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:38 PM

26,653 posts, read 26,621,846 times
Two Democratic state senators plan to introduce legislation Wednesday to overhaul Proposition 13 so local governments can raise more revenue from commercial and industrial properties.

California state senators to propose overhaul of Prop. 13 - LA Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California