Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2015, 05:22 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

I can see why public employee unions are targeting Prop 13... the benefits they have negotiated are not sustainable and I don't blame them looking out for number one... thing is, who is looking out for the taxpayers?
Isn't that what the elected representatives are supposed to be doing?

Yet people keep electing them for emotional issues, gay marriage. medical marijuana, High Speed Rail and similar hot topics and ignore the reality that the politicians are not really looking out for them, just for their votes, and then they cave to the Unions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 05:24 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Isn't that what the elected representatives are supposed to be doing?

Yet people keep electing them for emotional issues, gay marriage. medical marijuana, High Speed Rail and similar hot topics and ignore the reality that the politicians are not really looking out for them, just for their votes, and then they cave to the Unions.
Quoted for truth.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:40 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
It has been very lucrative and few outside public safety have been able to pull it off... the local paper did a story with names of people with 200k+ pensions... almost all were public safety and pension spiked.
I don't disagree with you, 3% @ 50 never made sense and shame on the agencies who jumped on that bandwagon, they all have a finance director who could have told them the future cost. LA County realized how ludicrous it was and never adopted it. And it always puzzled me why 33,000 prison guards are considered peace officers. They certainly don't have that status in other states, but in California they get the same retirement as cops. Then there is the little problem with not counting future retiree medical benefits as a liability. FASB and SASB required it, and auditors pointed out the deficient reporting for years before public sector agencies began reporting it.

But with that said, the State has made changes to retirement formula and required contribution for new employees, first in 2013 and I would expect them to drop even lower in the future.
https://www.calpers.ca.gov/page/empl...reform-impacts

Old 11-12-2015, 07:59 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Mostly things have to get to be extreme before correction sets in...

It really is incredible how the entire pension benefit package has changed... from many no longer having them and others with golden ones...

I'm not that old and still remember officers working side jobs just to make ends meet until they made rank...

Also remember when there was a lot of manufacturing jobs in the East Bay... canneries, glass manufacturers, auto and truck plants, Caterpillar Tractor, Crown Zellerbach, etc... all these jobs came with pensions...

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...

Old 11-12-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
It really is incredible how the entire pension benefit package has changed... from many no longer having them and others with golden ones...
I'm not that old and still remember officers working side jobs just to make ends meet until they made rank...
Also remember when there was a lot of manufacturing jobs in the East Bay... canneries, glass manufacturers, auto and truck plants, Caterpillar Tractor, Crown Zellerbach, etc... all these jobs came with pensions...
Yep, my uncle was a Fire Captain in the Bay Area and drove a truck on his days off to make ends meet. My dad made dynamite in Point Pinole and had a pension, as did my next door neighbor when I was around 7 years old, who believe it or not was a shift supervisor at the predecessor to "Kragen" the old "Grand Auto" One of my uncles was a union barber in Oakland (do Barbers even have a union anymore?)

Old 11-12-2015, 09:05 PM

We had a neighbor with a diner in Hayward... just a mom and pop place... his wait staff was in the union and they had a pension plan... not 401k

My next door neighbor is 90 and he retired from the Butchers Union with 40+ years and get $900 with lifetime medical... the Union axed the Lifetime Medical shortly after he retired so no medical...

His brother was in the same Union and retired several years later... no medical but $2000 pension because they upped the benefit.

My only Union Experience is Aerospace... won't see anything because it was 7 years to be vest then...

All the shops that were around and the Union Hall are no more...

The best plan I have every heard of is still the City of Oakland Law Enforcement old plan where current retired are paid based on the current salary... with some getting almost tripple now then when they retired... who knew?

About the only thing still around is civil service and utility workers...

Old 11-12-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
We had a neighbor with a diner in Hayward... just a mom and pop place... his wait staff was in the union and they had a pension plan... not 401k
My next door neighbor is 90 and he retired from the Butchers Union with 40+ years and get $900 with lifetime medical... the Union axed the Lifetime Medical shortly after he retired so no medical...
His brother was in the same Union and retired several years later... no medical but $2000 pension because they upped the benefit.
My only Union Experience is Aerospace... won't see anything because it was 7 years to be vest then...
All the shops that were around and the Union Hall are no more...
The best plan I have every heard of is still the City of Oakland Law Enforcement old plan where current retired are paid based on the current salary... with some getting almost tripple now then when they retired... who knew?
About the only thing still around is civil service and utility workers...
All of the Oil Refineries are union as are hospital workers and nurses. There are still a fairly large number of building and trade workers who are union.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:02 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
After pepra the pensions for most state workers (besides safety) are not as good as they used to be. Of course this didn't affect people already hired and retirees.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:20 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,188 times
Quote:

blame it on free trade..or its advocates..they package it as "so that we could sell more to the world" but in reality, it is "so that we can sell more to the US"

Old 11-13-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
All of the Oil Refineries are union as are hospital workers and nurses. There are still a fairly large number of building and trade workers who are union.
I work in a Hospital and none of our Nurses are Union... and the pension was suspended in 2007 temporarily and so far has not returned...

You are right... all the big players are Union and there always seems to be a strike brewing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California