Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 05:46 PM

2 posts, read 7,788 times

Advertisements

I'm a female, 25, single, no children, and have a career where I'm not tied down to a particular city. I've always had dreams of living somewhere near or on the beach in California. I don't know much about the coast but I know that I'd like to live somewhere where the scenery is beautiful, surfing is involved (I really want to learn how to surf and do it regularly.. wouldn't mind the surfer boys either LOL), the restaurant, shopping, and nightlife scene is pretty decent or near somewhere decent, and has a youthful vibe to it. Any ideas? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 06:17 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
What is your career?
Where do you think you can find a job?
What is your budget for rent or housing price range?

Old 01-19-2008, 06:49 PM

28 posts, read 103,462 times
And when I was your age, back in prehistory, I wanted to live on the CA beach and could. Now I am just looking for a place with a small yard to put a manufactured home on and that, if it exists at all in CA at something approaching a reasonable price, will probably be in the middle of the desert. Good luck with that. Wish you could do it, hon.
luchia

Old 01-19-2008, 10:22 PM

107 posts, read 343,157 times
encinitas, ca

Old 01-20-2008, 10:45 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
Check out McKinleyville, Trinidad, Manila, Samoa and Arcata here in Humboldt county and Shelter Cove in the southern part of the county. All the towns here are small, the ones I mentioned are well under 20,000 people. Arcata has the highest concentration of youth due to the presence of Humboldt State University. Humboldt county is very laid back and accepting.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:03 PM

52 posts, read 230,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules0529 View Post
I'm a female, 25, single, no children, and have a career where I'm not tied down to a particular city. I've always had dreams of living somewhere near or on the beach in California. I don't know much about the coast but I know that I'd like to live somewhere where the scenery is beautiful, surfing is involved (I really want to learn how to surf and do it regularly.. wouldn't mind the surfer boys either LOL), the restaurant, shopping, and nightlife scene is pretty decent or near somewhere decent, and has a youthful vibe to it. Any ideas? Thanks!
San Diego has plenty of neighborhoods you'd like

Pacific Beach
Encinitas
La Jolla
Ocean Beach

Dont listen to haters...find a cheap place, get your career going, you can move to a better place later.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:38 PM

28 posts, read 103,462 times
That is great area, but don't you need a wet suit to swim in those waters? I think they are too cold otherwise. Maybe I am wrong, but I thought the lady wanted the typical warm weather beach that just requires a swim suit, so on.
luchia

Old 01-20-2008, 08:30 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
So much depends on what the OP can afford. There are lots of idyllic little beach towns if you can afford them.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:31 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
Re: Surfing

You will need a wetsuit in order to surf year-round anywhere in California thanks to cold Pacific currents. Also, you'll be fine splashing around in the whitewash most places for the first few sessions. However, when you get serious about surfing and join the lineup, expect to encounter some hostility.

Surfing has boomed in the past decades and SoCal is the center of the surfing world. The majority of surfers nowadays are not the laid-back beach bums of yesteryear. The younger crowd is into performance surfing, burning everyone else in the hope of getting sponsored. The older ones are annoyed at the influx of new surfers and tend to be bitter. Then there's the yuppie crowd, which have too many negatives to list.

Breaks are crowded and dangerous when conditions are good, and newcomers without polished skills are not welcomed with open arms. Being female doesn't get you much extra slack.

That's not to say that you won't have an awesome time surfing and really get into the lifestyle and find your dream surfer boy. There are still plenty of soul surfers around, it just takes some hunting to find the right people. Here's a hint; they don't drive XTerras, sip lattes, or ride brand-new surftech popouts.

So, in conclusion, I'd suggest you "try it before you buy it." When it comes to living in a beach town with the surf bum lifestyle. If you really like surfing, all the negatives will roll right off you. However, if you don't catch the bug, you'll just end up another frustrated wannabe clogging the lineup.

If you can stand cold water, the further north or south you go, the more soul surfers you will find. San Diego to LA has the highest concentration of surfers and the most negative vibes. Mexico, Florida, the Carolinas, and Costa Rica are all good alternatives to SoCal.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:59 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Re: Surfing

You will need a wetsuit in order to surf year-round anywhere in California thanks to cold Pacific currents. Also, you'll be fine splashing around in the whitewash most places for the first few sessions. However, when you get serious about surfing and join the lineup, expect to encounter some hostility.

Surfing has boomed in the past decades and SoCal is the center of the surfing world. The majority of surfers nowadays are not the laid-back beach bums of yesteryear. The younger crowd is into performance surfing, burning everyone else in the hope of getting sponsored. The older ones are annoyed at the influx of new surfers and tend to be bitter. Then there's the yuppie crowd, which have too many negatives to list.

Breaks are crowded and dangerous when conditions are good, and newcomers without polished skills are not welcomed with open arms. Being female doesn't get you much extra slack.

That's not to say that you won't have an awesome time surfing and really get into the lifestyle and find your dream surfer boy. There are still plenty of soul surfers around, it just takes some hunting to find the right people. Here's a hint; they don't drive XTerras, sip lattes, or ride brand-new surftech popouts.

So, in conclusion, I'd suggest you "try it before you buy it." When it comes to living in a beach town with the surf bum lifestyle. If you really like surfing, all the negatives will roll right off you. However, if you don't catch the bug, you'll just end up another frustrated wannabe clogging the lineup.

If you can stand cold water, the further north or south you go, the more soul surfers you will find. San Diego to LA has the highest concentration of surfers and the most negative vibes. Mexico, Florida, the Carolinas, and Costa Rica are all good alternatives to SoCal.
Excellant answer!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California