Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 10:34 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,705,327 times

Advertisements

I read this online article on why a three way split would make more sense:

Three Californias Rationale

I agree with most of the article.

I personally think this state is too big now and too politically divided to be sustained as one state. Yes, I don't think this state is sustaining it self. I think each part of the state should decide on it's how to deal with the budget and water issues. Were not like other large states like NY where it's mostly liberals focused near a large city and conservatives living on the outskirts.

Furthermore, Jerry Brown even said it himself that he has to deal with Berkeley/East Bay Voters and Orange County voters. In my opinion, he doesn't represent the best of OC interests. In the next election, I hear it will probably be another representative from northern california. When was the last time there was a governor from the San Joaquin Valley? Some one who worked and lived and knows their politics and economic needs? My opinion is you have to have walked in my shoes and seen my shoes to know me. If you are from some hilly mcmansion community in LA or San Francisco, then you really can't speak for those working in the hot sweat out in the San Joaquin Valley. I went to a college where people all over the state came for prestigious programs and very few students were truly able to understand what it was like in each other's areas. Many would pressume since I lived in a county near the coast that my family was rich and I went to the beach alot, when in fact it was the opposite.

Southern California is socially progressive, but fiscally conservative. Most of Coastal California is socially and fiscally progressive. The inland northern part is where the San Joaquin Valley and more rurals areas and are more socially and fiscally conservative. Sacramento being the least conservative of them all.

Where the split should be is interesting. I don't know why Kern County was placed in Southern California, as I have heard Bakersfield is more conservative politically. Bakersfield is an hour from Palmdale and an hour and half from the San Fernando Valley. I don't think there is enough economic tie with Bakersfield and LA.

I would say that Santa Barbara County should be Southern California where as San Luis Obispo County should start Coastal California. SLO County has more economic ties these days with Silicon Valley businesses where as Santa Barbara has more ties with LA's economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 12:19 AM

66 posts, read 85,448 times
I honestly think 4 states would be better. SoCal isn't one entity, OC, 951 riverside and SD should be one state. Totally different than LA or San Berdoo, it would be the most fiscally sound state in the union and the best example of 'fiscal conservative social liberal' also no water problems because they aren't dilly dallying on desal plants.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:23 AM

6,868 posts, read 8,161,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I read this online article on why a three way split would make more sense:

Three Californias Rationale
I think California should stay United, too many historic ties.

Japan, Germany, England, and France are each more populated than California and each have managed to stay united.

The USA is very diverse and regionally divided on issues, yet our country manages to remain as one country. I think California should stay as one state.

Last edited by Chimérique; 05-28-2015 at 02:47 AM..

Old 05-28-2015, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post

Japan, Germany, England, and France are each more populated than California and each have managed to stay united.

The USA is very diverse and regionally divided on issues, yet our country manages to remain as one country. I think California should stay as one state.
I disagree, in California our "majority rules" system has turned into a tyranny of the majority where the voice of most of the state is meaningless and LA and SF dictates all. In the US as a whole most of the country is voiceless compared to TX, FL, CA, and NY. I think this country needs to splinter into different autonomous nations and within the California republic each county would be a state. I think this country balkanizing in my of my kids' lifetime is inevitable and would be a good thing. This nation has always had a degree of diversity but there was certain unifying values, religion, ethnic backgrounds that kept us together but since the 60s or 70s we have diverged and soon it will diverge to the point of us being ungovernable. I welcome the split.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:14 AM

Japan, England, France are all pretty homogenous when compared to America or even California.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:10 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,462,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post

Germany hasn't been united continuously. And while England's remained united, there is a possibility Great Britain could break up in the near future - which not long ago would have been considered more impossible than California splitting up.

You're making it sound like California splitting up would leave the US. It wouldn't.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:42 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,705,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent from norcal View Post
I honestly think 4 states would be better. SoCal isn't one entity, OC, 951 riverside and SD should be one state. Totally different than LA or San Berdoo, it would be the most fiscally sound state in the union and the best example of 'fiscal conservative social liberal' also no water problems because they aren't dilly dallying on desal plants.
After reading through your comments, perhaps a larger separation the better. I hear you on that LA and SB county are mostly democrats. I can't imagine LA and SB County not being apart of southern california and being their own state.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:12 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,767,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent from norcal View Post
Japan, England, France are all pretty homogenous when compared to America or even California.
So, the goal here is to promote homogeneous municipalities? Less diverse is better...or at least easier, less issues to deal with?
Simplicity does not always go hand in hand with beauty.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:33 PM

631 posts, read 743,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
So, the goal here is to promote homogeneous municipalities? Less diverse is better...or at least easier, less issues to deal with?
Simplicity does not always go hand in hand with beauty.
You know, Sweden said the SAME thing about 10 years ago. Now it's becoming a dump.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:28 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,767,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
You know, Sweden said the SAME thing about 10 years ago. Now it's becoming a dump.
If Sweden's QOL = "dump", then I would take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California