Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 06:42 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times

Advertisements

OP, the Triangle is 'decently diverse', as you put it. As far as being overall progressive, maybe not 'overall'. But there are interesting pockets of what you might call progressive. But face it, if anywhere had only what you consider the good points of living in Berkeley/Oakland, then everyone would want to live there, and the average person would never be able to afford that area either. So you need to find a city that is close to what you want, and then help turn it into the reality that you are seeking. In other words, help to make it a more desirable location for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 08:32 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Berkeley doesn't cut it? Lake Anza, and Lake Temescal across the border in Oakland aren't enough lake swimming for you?

Carmel's a good suggestion. There will be people there with dogs to walk, and they'll have the money to pay for the service. I guess it doesn't meet your diversity requirement, though.

How about Seattle? Lake Washington is great for swimming.

You might consider Moscow, Idaho, or thereabouts, too. Too much snow, though, I guess...

Old 05-29-2015, 08:52 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Would Thailand be diverse?

Old 05-29-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Would Thailand be diverse?
Sydney, OZ. But first, the OP would have to convince the gov't that they need an experienced dog-walker.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:28 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sydney, OZ. But first, the OP would have to convince the gov't that they need an experienced dog-walker.
I'm afraid that level of skill won't allow immigration to OZ. They are picky there.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:01 PM

336 posts, read 411,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I think you're looking for a blend of all of the parts you liked about everywhere you lived.
Exactly

Thank you for the comments everyone; I really appreciate the help!

Eureka/Arcata I'd strongly considered awhile back but felt they'd probably feel too remote/small and too much drugs for me long-term. Carmel/Monterey sound gorgeous; would love to hear more about their culture and how it is to raise kids there. North Carolina triangle is intriguing.

Berkeley/Albany/Oakland are so close to the right fit - and I'm already here and know my career works well here - but them being so far from dog-friendly, swimmable water (beyond what Lake Anza & Alameda's beach offers) and high/rising rent has me hesitant to commit. It MAY be the fit though with just budgeting in rent cost, seeking rent control, and dealing with long drive to the great beaches in Marin and SF.

However I'm very curious about West Marin. And the coastal cities above it without going so far north that it gets too cold/overcast. Those could have the nature access I crave...though with further drive to all the "urban" variety but that could be okay. I'd love to know more about West Marin culture instead of always hearing just opinions on Marin in general or on South/East Marin.

This is a huge decision so just trying to be selective enough to be happy with my choice, not overly picky.

Snow or any foggier or colder than Berkeley is a definite no.

Maybe returning to South Austin is the answer if I can get used to its heat. Or Hawaii? Just need more info to decide.

Last edited by NatureYogi; 05-30-2015 at 06:23 PM..

Old 05-30-2015, 06:43 PM

336 posts, read 411,725 times
Just found book on Amazon called "Swimming Holes of California." There are also books on hot springs and hot pools. Maybe this will help me find my dream town...

Old 05-31-2015, 12:16 PM

371 posts, read 425,949 times
Takoma Park, MD. Downtown Silver Spring, MD. These cities have the green peace type. Austin, TX.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:28 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,972,616 times
There is no diversity in Austin of any kind and the weather will always be unbearable. If you moved back, you'd come to the same conclusion my wife and I did when we first moved back to Austin; "we should have looked elsewhere."

Old 05-31-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureYogi View Post

Maybe returning to South Austin is the answer if I can get used to its heat. Or Hawaii? Just need more info to decide.
Austin? Seriously? How does that meet any of your criteria, other than "progressive"?! Didn't you want to be near a major body of water, sunny but relatively cool weather, and diversity?

What about San Diego? The problem is, no one knows how long the drought will last in CA, or if it's here to stay. If it's going to be a prolonged cycle, or no cycle at all, but the new normal, you'd be better off hedging your bets, and going to the north coast, or the Northwest. Because if weather is shifting to warmer and drier, those areas will eventually become closer to what the Bay Area used to be, 50 years ago. You don't want to settle into your "ideal" locale, like maybe SD, or even Berkeley/Albany, only to discover you don't have enough water to raise a family with.

And btw, if San Francisco Bay isn't a big enough body of water to satisfy your swimming and dog-watering needs (you pooh-poohed Alameda's beach?), I doubt you'd be happy anywhere. If Alameda and the Berkeley Marina don't do it for you, nothing will. I was going to suggest Tahoe, but you don't want snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California