Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you consider yourself?
Californian first, American second 22 25.88%
American first, Californian second 63 74.12%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 02:56 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,928,428 times

Advertisements

Who honestly thinks that way?

This question might be appropriate if you're asking a Texan though, their pride knows no bounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 08:29 PM

385 posts, read 437,937 times
Native Californian, but have lived mostly on the east coast since college.

Definitely American first. Much love for my great home state, but yeah, American first.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:17 PM

290 posts, read 568,261 times
100% Callifornian state Citizen first and foremost and USA citizen secondly.
Ill tell you Why, its because thats how Federal systems work. Its just like what the European Union is. Its a Union of free and sovereign States.
Based on our federal system, we all are dual citizens. Of our State first, and by being a citizen of our state it also makes us a Citizen of the US Federal State automatically. Just like in Europe. If your an Italian or Spanish citizen, well that automatically makes you a European citizen. But in the end it is your state citizenship that qualifies you for Federal Citizenship.
Also keep in mind that the USA federal government invaded California by force in the US-Mexican War. I love the USA dont get me wrong but we must always remember history.
Anyways last time I checked California was a STATE and not merely a province or an adminstrative Region. California has their own Constitution, military, supreme court, taxes, state police force and Sovereignty in absolutley everything (just like any other Sovereign world state) except what the US constitution explicitly says other wise.
You are a citizen of the state of your birth(or the state you were naturalized in)and a citizen of the United STATES of America. Dual citizenship!
But We are all State Citizens First!
Thats how a FEDERATION works!

Anyways to answer the op's question, first and foremost I consider myself a San Francisco Citizen. The root word of citizen is city(zen).
Being a natural born San Francisco Cityzen qualifies me for California state citizenship which intune qualifies me for US Federal citizenship, and the way its looking, pretty soon being a US citizen is going to automatically make you a United Nations citizen lol. Do you see how it works?!
But in all honesty, From studying law and government and public administration, I have learned that Sovereignty derives from the State(California) not from the municipality(San Francisco) or the federation(USA).

Last edited by goonzy; 09-19-2015 at 06:50 PM..

Old 11-18-2016, 03:59 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,134,004 times
This is an old thread but certainly the election has changed at least some people's minds towards the question of Californian first or American first?

https://twitter.com/YesCalifornia/st...49502110609409

https://twitter.com/NaphiSoc/status/798549803734941696

Old 11-18-2016, 05:08 PM

21,461 posts, read 8,657,573 times
No. I was born in California, I've lived here nearly all my life, and I love it. It's home. It's where I want to be. It's where my family and friends are. But I'm an American first.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:11 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,307,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
This is an old thread but certainly the election has changed at least some people's minds towards the question of Californian first or American first?

https://twitter.com/YesCalifornia/st...49502110609409

https://twitter.com/NaphiSoc/status/798549803734941696
In other words hardly anyone was interested in the issue. 15,000 plus out of how many millions?

Stupid idea.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:45 PM

21,634 posts, read 16,178,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
In other words hardly anyone was interested in the issue. 15,000 plus out of how many millions?

Stupid idea.
Ummm, expat. Really. The survey / vote wasn't 15,000 out of how ever many millions. It was a survey of people aware and interested enough to read the website. Millions of Californians aren't even aware of the movement yet - let alone engaged in actual debate.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:09 AM

6,406 posts, read 8,245,994 times
I have considered myself a Californian first for a numbers of years now. I came to CA with nothing but the bags on my back on a one way plane ticket and put myself through school to build a decent life here. I love the 'idea' of what America is supposed to stand for, but in practice, the way much of America thinks and behaves is in direct opposition to my values.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:21 AM

10,097 posts, read 9,967,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I have considered myself a Californian first for a numbers of years now. I came to CA with nothing but the bags on my back on a one way plane ticket and put myself through school to build a decent life here. I love the 'idea' of what America is supposed to stand for, but in practice, the way much of America thinks and behaves is in direct opposition to my values.
What about the way a lot of Californians think opposite to you politically? Should they leave CA? Are you defining CA values now?

Old 11-19-2016, 11:48 AM

6,406 posts, read 8,245,994 times
Nope, they don't need to leave at all- they are all welcome and part of California's incredible diversity. I'm all for having local issues decided by local citizens and less federal control, overall. If this independence movement is ever going to work, we need as many Californians to unite and compromise. Luckily Californians already have some common ground: we value education, the environment, and for the most part, we have a live and let live attitude. That's a pretty good start, in my opinion.

Quote:
1. California is a diverse place and has widely divergent views on a range of issues. Our Party and the political structures we advocate post-independence should reflect that.
2. We believe that unless there is a compelling reason for something to be decided nationally or regionally it should be decided at the most local level possible.
3. The default should always be that a more local government can overrule higher levels unless a power has been explicitly delegated to the higher body.
4. In cases where there is a compelling reason for regional or national planning, we need more effective tools in place to facilitate it.
5. We believe the American two-party system is fundamentally undemocratic and want to ensure that California does not duplicate that system.

Read more at Independence – California National Party
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California