Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 12:02 PM

10 posts, read 17,743 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move as soon as this fall of 2015 out to California with my younger cousin. That being said she is taking psychology and wants to be near a University that offers that course. As well as that, we both want to be in an area that is near Public Transportation/ grocery stores / things to do / preferably beaches but its not a need / in somewhat of a safe area/ has good job opportunities / and prefferably decent air quality. I have found that her and i have been searching for weeks and it feels like we have just gone in circles. We want to live in Southern California. As long as the area meets both of our needs as listed above. Were happy. So far we haven't found a whole lot we have felt we were sure about. Unfortunately we are already at a loss because we are not able to come and visit before our move. We are both brand new to the California area as a whole. So ANY ANY information you can provide us with is helpful. I was recommended a couple areas such as Chino Hills / Ontario / Capitola & San Diego. If any of you know anything about those areas ( i am open to anything pros and cons about each ) or about any other areas that will meet our needs. PLEASE COMMENT THEM BELOW. THIS WILL HELP US OUT ALOT. THANK YOU SO MUCH

Last edited by Eckssohlauren; 06-16-2015 at 12:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 12:41 PM

807 posts, read 894,082 times
Didn't your cousin already get accepted into a psychology program? Your city of choice would be limited to an area near the program that the cousin is planning to attend. People who know the area would then be able to give advice.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:50 PM

Default Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveNotCommute View Post
Didn't your cousin already get accepted into a psychology program? Your city of choice would be limited to an area near the program that the cousin is planning to attend. People who know the area would then be able to give advice.
She actually didn't get accepted anywhere yet. Im not sure that she has even applied. I think she wanted to find an area we liked and then worry about applying..but i see your point if she hasn't even applied and doesn't know if shell be accepted, choosing an area won't do us any good.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:57 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,800,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckssohlauren View Post
She actually didn't get accepted anywhere yet. Im not sure that she has even applied. I think she wanted to find an area we liked and then worry about applying..but i see your point if she hasn't even applied and doesn't know if shell be accepted, choosing an area won't do us any good.
Right. First things first. Out of state tuition is no small consideration, besides COL anywhere.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:41 PM

486 posts, read 830,053 times
Maybe the hunting beach area, since you are near a number of good school, UCI, CSULB, CSUDH maybe even CSULA or some other LA school.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Right. First things first. Out of state tuition is no small consideration, besides COL anywhere.
Im sorry what do you mean by that?

Old 06-16-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersion View Post
Maybe the hunting beach area, since you are near a number of good school, UCI, CSULB, CSUDH maybe even CSULA or some other LA school.
Thank you so much !!!!

Old 06-16-2015, 06:56 PM

42,766 posts, read 26,048,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckssohlauren View Post
Im sorry what do you mean by that?
For one year after establishing residency in California your Cousin would have to pay out of state tuition which is very expensive. Do you two have a plan for supporting yourself? California is quite expensive especially in the areas that you seem interested in. by the way, Capitola is not in Southern California.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:54 PM

112 posts, read 212,105 times
You don't say where you are coming from and what you are used to in your present situation. California is very different than many other states. Do you have means of supporting yourself? You speak of job opportunities. Will you be looking for a job once you get there?

Old 06-17-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
For one year after establishing residency in California your Cousin would have to pay out of state tuition which is very expensive. Do you two have a plan for supporting yourself? California is quite expensive especially in the areas that you seem interested in. by the way, Capitola is not in Southern California.
Ok so if we lived there for a year and then she applied she wouldn't have to pay out of state? Also if she applys now does that mean that she has to start right away or can she wait a year after she's accepted to actually start going to school ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California