Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:07 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times

Advertisements

It sure seems to bother a lot of us (me included). "Please don't call it Cali":

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...call-cali.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 10:01 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
Talking Gimme a "C", gimme an "A", gimme an "L", gimme an "I"! What's that spell?!!

Well, it bothers alot of us (me included) that this kinda stuff bothers folks like you!

Not to mention the irony that this is coming from (some) residents of a state that's notorious for its freedom... to live, think (and yes, "speak") the way you want to.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:06 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Well, it bothers alot of us (me included) that this kinda stuff bothers folks like you!

Not to mention the irony that this is coming from (some) residents of a state that's notorious for its freedom... to live, think (and yes, "speak") the way you want to.
You tell' em Matty!

Old 04-06-2010, 10:21 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,723,143 times
Everyone outside of cali calls it cali. Something else you might not know, most people outside of cali call San Francisco, San Fran. A city or state earns its nickname from the outside, the same way you don't give yourself a nickname, your family and friends give it to you.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:37 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Everyone outside of cali calls it cali. Something else you might not know, most people outside of cali call San Francisco, San Fran. A city or state earns its nickname from the outside, the same way you don't give yourself a nickname, your family and friends give it to you.
No dude, not everyone outside of CA says Cali and San Fran? ... Please.
I think you need some real experience as it seems that you're picking up a lot of information from other sources and putting it all together in a kind of funky way ... which is fine but some will call you out on your lack of real knowledge which can only come from direct experience.
And, regarding your nickname scenario ... well most people are given a nickname (and called that nickname) by someone(s) who really know the person well.
It's about familiarity.
Maybe that's one of the reasons "Cali" is so obnoxious to many ... it's a nickname that is most often used by people who are not at all familiar with the state.
And it's a cutesy, silly and diminutive name (truly a misnomer !!!) for a big and beautiful and wild / chaotic place with powerful nature.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:07 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,723,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
No dude, not everyone outside of CA says Cali and San Fran? ... Please.
I think you need some real experience as it seems that you're picking up a lot of information from other sources and putting it all together in a kind of funky way ... which is fine but some will call you out on your lack of real knowledge which can only come from direct experience.
And, regarding your nickname scenario ... well most people are given a nickname (and called that nickname) by someone(s) who really know the person well.
It's about familiarity.
Maybe that's one of the reasons "Cali" is so obnoxious to many ... it's a nickname that is most often used by people who are not at all familiar with the state.
And it's a cutesy, silly and diminutive name (truly a misnomer !!!) for a big and beautiful and wild / chaotic place with powerful nature.
I'll rephrase that. Everyone I know calls it cali.

How does that nickname be-little cali, I just don't see the connection.

To know that your city or state has a nickname bestowed upon it from the entire nation, if not the world should be flattering. It means the place is special. Thats why most places don't have nicknames, but maybe on a local level. Think about all the 4+ syllable places that don't have nationally recognized nicknames: Connecticut, San Antonio, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Chattanooga, Tallahasee, Minneapolis etc.; These places don't have nicknames on a national level, let alone a global level, because outsiders don't talk about these places enough for their to be a need for a nickname, whereas cali gets talked about enough to warrant a nickname to avoid having to say california everytime they refrence the place. Cali fits into some peoples pattern of speech better than california, especially in the mid-atlantic and northeast.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:34 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
People who live in CALIFORNIA do not call it "Cali""
No offense but the same people who always say that are the ones who are older than 25. Alot of my friends from California say "Cali" and have never checked me for saying it otherwise. It's a teen thing. Abbreviation is huge in the world today. This really should not be an issue.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:23 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
No offense but the same people who always say that are the ones who are older than 25. Alot of my friends from California say "Cali" and have never checked me for saying it otherwise. It's a teen thing. Abbreviation is huge in the world today. This really should not be an issue.
No offense but yeah, if you're a kid you're a lot more susceptible to becoming a parrot.
The fact that "abbreviation is huge in the world today" isn't exactly something to be proud of ... but that's another story.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 04-07-2010 at 10:33 AM..

Old 04-07-2010, 10:26 AM

111 posts, read 156,245 times
Usually older people and elitists get bothered by this, however it only bothers them online. They would never complain to a persons face saying "Cali". Nothing more annoying than word and grammar police. They have to be the most miserable people alive. Of all the things to worry about, something this trivial? Please get a life.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:06 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
That is so far from true: maybe on the east coast they call California, cali, but other places in the USA they do not. Since leaving California I have lived in TX, VA, NM and AR, never have I heard anyone call the state cali until I started reading the forum.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California