Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2015, 03:57 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,238,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That is about housing, which understandably in So Cal and similar areas, plus major cities will be high. However the State is suffering from more than just high housing costs. It is like it is sucha "privilege" to live in CA that the State, County and Municipal Gov'ts can punish you for being there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I had a flat tire on I-280, pulled way over across the shoulder and onto dirt. I'd forgotten my cellphone at home, so I walked back to the nearest callbox. That done, I got back into my truck. Another car stopped ahead of me and two guys got out. I did not get a friendly we're-just-here-to-help-the-little-lady vibe. I locked the doors and kept the windows rolled up. Told them AAA was on the way, repeatedly. Finally they left.
AARP had in it's latest issue a bit of information and CA was among the most unfriendly States.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
This is one of the most ignorant threads I've read through. Good job for stereotyping, generalizing, and grouping a whole bunch of people.
You are correct when it comes to generalizations. However when a specific problem is mentioned then the ones speaking of it get attacked/ CA is a GREATT State. It is just dealing with (or actually not dealing with) a LOT of problems. I just drove through 3 States (GA, NC, TN) and the roads are so much better than CA, why? All the money, the high gas taxes and more, WHY such bad roads? Even TX is better and it is much bigger with a smaller population and it does a better job than CA. Why? If CA is to set the example, why not a good one for a change?

Old 06-21-2015, 04:10 PM

18,960 posts, read 32,418,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
This post is a pretty good summation of why Californians get annoyed with people criticizing their state. Your whole post was just base stereotyping and bashing of the people and the state without any facts just a bunch of hyperbole. I've never had anyone get "furious" at me for talking to them. Maybe you are the problem? Maybe Californians don't get mad at EVERYONE who criticizes their state, but maybe people like you are the problem?
My thoughts exactly! I can be fairly critical of CA and don't really mind when people are critical of it as well but when I hear BS like the OP constantly spews then I probably get more defensive as so much of it is completely exaggerated and full of stupid stereotypes. When you only talk in hyperbole and exaggerated claims you pretty much lose any credibility and people generally don't want to waste their time listening or engaging with someone like that because it's largely pointless.

From what I gather the OP hasn't lived in CA since they were a child (7yr old ?) or something, so not sure how they would be any sort of expert on anything CA.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:31 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,513,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I lived in Texas. I had a flat tire and just about every person that drove by stopped and offered to help. In CA they would honk and yell and keep right on going, in most cases.

Texas is like CA, big and diverse as to topography, but is different in many ways and some are good and some are bad. In Alaska is just flat tooooo cold for me.
Bad generalizations. CA is a HUGE state filled with all kinds of people. Sure, in SF, LA or OC you are more likely to get that attitude but there are many other parts of CA where people are just as eager to help as in any other state. I love Texas, probably my favorite state but...Dallas, Houston and SA are filled with plenty of D'bags in big lifted trucks who would honk and yell at you to move too.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:31 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,807,674 times
it's kind of like...."I can say whatever I want about my kid, but don't you dare..."

Old 06-21-2015, 04:42 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,381,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
People from the south aren't as educated and are more easily controlled by Govt. The Govt can shut these sheeps up by simply waving a flag and promoting Patriotism. People from the South and East Cost are also the most racist and hateful people you will ever meet.

CA, the most populated and most diverse State in the US.... If there is one thing we aren't #1 in is HATE. The only people crying about CA are Republicans and idiots who never visited CA and depend on the Retardican controlled media for their bias opinion on CA.

Hate Map
8 of the 10 most educated states are on the racist east coast. None are on the west coast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJJpziU7wSs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S83TlMdHm6Q

Last edited by joeyg2014; 06-21-2015 at 05:03 PM..

Old 06-21-2015, 04:49 PM

15,468 posts, read 15,433,826 times
Do they? Insecurity and low self-esteem, I guess.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:16 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,506,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Yeah, California is very much a "me" culture and people are generally only interested in what they can take from you. That's why people in California/the West Coast get so furious if you approach them in public to ask them a question or make niceties ... they assume you want something from them or want to harm them, because that's the only reason THEY would ever approach a stranger.

Not my experience. I find people for the most part to be pleasant here.

Much nicer and more approachable than in the northeast. You want to see unapproachable "don't talk to me I don't know you" go to Boston.

I just experienced this about 6 months ago on a trip to the northeast(where I grew up), I was walking down my relative's street and had to remind myself if you said "hello" to someone it would come off as odd. I say hello and people say hello back on my street here.

People in general are much more relaxed out here.

OP, you posted a comment awhile back saying that rent in LA for a one bedroom is $4,000 a month.

Which is simply not true, you never commented back on what you said.

When you post nonsense(like $4,000 a month for a one bedroom), well people will correct you.

And if you want to see a real "me culture" try South Florida.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:16 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,768,548 times
This akin to someone getting in your face yelling obscenities and you reacting, and getting the old "See, look how defensive you get!" It's called inciting, just to get a reaction. CA gets this more than any other state, so yes, it gets old. Usually done by those who live in sad places with nothing better to do, or those self-loathing sad sacks who failed in CA and now want to gather faceless 'friends' to form troll parties to the delight of carnival barkers decrying the heresy rampant in the heathen golden state.

Just like those brat kids that rapped the stick across the fence on the way home from school, just to make the dogs bark. Imagine how bold they would be if the gate opened one day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California