Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite?
San Diego 62 56.88%
Orange County 41 37.61%
None 6 5.50%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 10:03 AM

4,625 posts, read 3,368,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Please go to Carmel Mountain Ranch in San Diego.

Its a 35 minute ride on the Pacific Surfliner Amtrak train from Fullerton to downtown LA Union Station and a 52 minute ride from Santa Ana to downtown LA. Its sounds like the people criticizing Orange County have never been there.
Grew up in LA County and have a sibling that has living in O.C. for nearly ten years, so I am quite familiar.

I never praised the "boring" parts of SD County. San Diego simply has more urban, walkable areas including an actual downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 10:38 AM

8,375 posts, read 7,587,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
no one is denying your facts..its just that there are more jobs in OC. the jobs in San Diego are dominated by government (universities, military) and you know how they pay in the govt, right?
Yes, as I noted in my post, in terms of number of jobs (that includes all jobs, not just managerial or tech jobs), there are more people employed in Orange County, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

But, the unemployment rate in San Diego is pretty comparable to OC, hovering around 4% or so, so it is not like everyone who wants to work is unable to find a job in San Diego County. So in that regard, your argument suggesting that people can't earn a living in SD because OC has more jobs is a bit disengenious.

And, as the BLS data shows, it also is incorrect to imply that ALL jobs in OC pay more. The median salaries in both places for all jobs is pretty much the same, although some types of jobs pay more (on median) in one or the other.

Yet, the cost of housing in OC is higher than San Diego. So, if the median for pay is the same, we might conclude that the median overall pay will go farther in San Diego when it comes to rents or home purchases.

Of course, at the individual level, one person might make more in one county or the other, or have more job opportunities in a particular field in one county or the other. So, for one individual OC might be a better choice for earning a living while for another San Diego might be a better choice for earning a living.

But, the two counties aren't all that different across the board when it comes to median pay. And, the similar unemployment rates suggest that if you want to work, and have skills and experience that are in demand by the job market, you'll be able to find a job and make a living in either county.

But, again, all of this doesn't mean that one county is better than the other. As I said, both Orange County AND San Diego are very nice places, with their own pluses and minuses, just like anywhere else. It really comes down to personal preferences, personal needs, and personal desires as to which place is "best" for YOU as an individual. There's no need to denigrate people for whom the choice or preference might be different.

However, there's no way to say definitively that one county is better than the other for EVERYONE. It just depends on the individual.

Have a nice day!

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-04-2016 at 10:54 AM..

Old 10-04-2016, 01:41 PM

142 posts, read 222,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I would apply Gertrude Stein's quote about Oakland to Orange County: "There is no there there."

Yeah, I'd rather starve (or live meagerly) in San Diego County than live in Orange County. Irvine is a soulless hell. So is Aliso Viejo.
True. The cities are quite boring. BUT, that's the trade off for those living in arguably the safest city in America for the past 11 years straight, which is something for Irvine-ites to be rightly smug about. And getting out of Irvine for leisure to a more active neighboring city like Anaheim or the beach is pretty much 15 minutes away.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:07 PM

3,814 posts, read 3,988,075 times
Quote:
I would apply Gertrude Stein's quote about Oakland to Orange County: "There is no there there."

Yeah, I'd rather starve (or live meagerly) in San Diego County than live in Orange County. Irvine is a soulless hell. So is Aliso Viejo.
The same could be said for Poway, Santee, Scripps Ranch, Etc.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Orange County is changing so rapidly, even in its politics, that generalizations from the past just don't apply anymore.

Orange County Is No Longer Nixon Country
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/30/us.../30orange.html

"In 2008, Barack Obama drew 48 percent of the vote here against Senator John McCain of Arizona. (By comparison, in 1980, Jimmy Carter received just 23 percent against Ronald Reagan, the conservative hero whose election as California governor in 1966 and 1970 was boosted in no small part by the affection for him here.)"

Democratic surge shrinks GOP lead - The Orange County Register

Irvine is latest Orange County city to tilt Democratic - The Orange County Register
The thing I noticed is that OC is in a lot of ways much more progressive than both LA and SD in the way the county is managed. For instance, while SD and LA were turning up their noses and rejecting "toilet to tap" programs in the early 2000s, OC went ahead with the largest potable water re-reclaimation plant in the world. Imported water now makes up 50% of OC's water usage compared to LA and SD which both import approximately a ridiculous 85%. For comparison, OC used to import 80% water as early as 1990. Especially in hindsight with the current drought, this is among the stupidest decisions SD and LA have made. Of course, the sentiment has changed now that everyone is scared.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
What's funny is that that quote is famous for being use in reference to Los Angeles rather than Oakland. People from the east coast and Norcal STILL use it in reference to LA.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:16 PM

18,972 posts, read 32,501,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savvysearch View Post
True. The cities are quite boring. BUT, that's the trade off for those living in arguably the safest city in America for the past 11 years straight, which is something for Irvine-ites to be rightly smug about. And getting out of Irvine for leisure to a more active neighboring city like Anaheim or the beach is pretty much 15 minutes away.
"More active" than Irvine isn't really saying much. Unless Downtown Disney is your thing Anaheim is pretty lame as well.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvysearch View Post
What's funny is that that quote is famous for being use in reference to Los Angeles rather than Oakland. People from the east coast and Norcal STILL use it in reference to LA.
Stein was raised in Oakland. It was clearly in reference to her childhood home in Oakland when she returned there from Paris for the first time in years (1933).

Love it how when Orange County is taking it on the chin from San Diego in this thread, the folks behind the Orange curtain have to take their digs at LA. Funny stuff.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post

Like I said I concur that most of SD County is bland/boring. Probably 80% of S.D. County is boring suburbia.

Orange County on the other hand is 99% bland and boring.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Stein was raised in Oakland. It was clearly in reference to her childhood home in Oakland when she returned there from Paris for the first time in years (1933).

Love it how when Orange County is taking it on the chin from San Diego in this thread, the folks behind the Orange curtain have to take their digs at LA. Funny stuff.
No need to be defensive. LA is my favorite city in the world. Obviously only cluelessly uneducated east-coasters and Norcalers says that about LA nowadays. But that still doesn't change the fact that the quote is famously mis-attributed to Los Angeles. (And I know you know that) That's why I find it so funny when people in LA, in turn, use it for other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California