Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite?
San Diego 62 56.88%
Orange County 41 37.61%
None 6 5.50%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 01:09 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Great but most people aren't raising families. Also there is this time called "weekends" where people don't do their daily routines. Despite living in the suburbs with a family I frequent San Francisco and its urban amenities plenty. Did the same with the downtown/urban core area of San Diego as well when I lived there. If you prefer to stay in your suburban bubble all the time then good for you, try and open your mind though and realize other people have different preferences. Not sure why you think one needs to be consumed and think daily about urban amenities to enjoy them.

In a way I do because I certainly find downtown architecture much more interesting than the cookie-cutter homes and strip malls you are apparently fond of.

Well I submit one is very close minded if they honestly can't see why some people like downtowns/urban cores of cities. But that seems par for course with the suburban OC mentality; close-mindedness.
On what basis do you support your contention that everyone in OC lives in a bubble and is close minded? People in OC, at least the ones I know, travel far more than ordinary Anericans. It sounds like you are the close minded one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 01:17 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
On what basis do you support your contention that everyone in OC lives in a bubble and is close minded? People in OC, at least the ones I know, travel far more than ordinary Anericans. It sounds like you are the close minded one.
Exactly where in my post did you see the word "everyone"? Or are you just making up stuff like usual?

Old 09-27-2016, 01:28 PM

You made the contention that OC has a 'suburban mindset.' So does San Diego, with a few exceptions, in most of the desirable areas. This applies to LA too, a city based on suburbs. For all the hoopla, DTLA is not where most people want to be in LA.

By the way, where is your DT in Contra Costa, Martinez?

Old 09-27-2016, 01:34 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
You made the contention that OC has a 'suburban mindset.' So does San Diego, with a few exceptions, in most of the desirable areas. This applies to LA too, a city based on suburbs. For all the hoopla, DTLA is not where most people want to be in LA.
DTLA represents one extreme. Mission Viejo and Rancho Santa Margarita represent another extreme. Most people prefer something in between, although obviously to which end of the spectrum varies depending upon the individual.

If I had to express a clear preference it would be for what I, for lack of a better word, would call "urban suburbia". A lot of older burbs are built along these lines, or were. Where one has the most good qualities of both city and suburb with the fewest of the negative qualities of both. Said areas are often, alas, quite expensive, because they are in very high demand. Yet zoning laws keep them from being built and keep existing burbs from taking on more urban characteristics to fulfill this demand.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:

By the way, where is your DT in Contra Costa, Martinez?
Ok and? Still didn't say "everyone" but there you go always trying to put words in people's mouths.

I see you're still having much trouble grasping the difference between OC with LA and San Diego in regards to downtowns/urban cores.

There are many nice, walkable downtowns in Contra Costa County unlike much of Orange County. Also people in Contra Costa County don't pretend they aren't part of the SF Bay Area like OC tries to pretend they aren't part of LA. So clearly the "downtown/urban core" that people gravitate to would be SF and Oakland. But you seem to have trouble with understanding how traditional cities/suburbs/metropolitan areas function and work so...

Old 09-27-2016, 01:41 PM

Majoun, do you really know whats happening here? People from outside of OC are simply unaware of the fast urbanization in OC. Construction is verticle.They imagine everyone eats at Chili's and TGIF. We had such a place here in my town. People wouldn't eat that here...it's now out of business.

Making fun of DT Santa Ana is based on ignorance.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Ok and? Still didn't say everyone but there you go always trying to put words in people's mouths.

I see you're still having much trouble grasping the difference between OC with LA and San Diego in regards to downtowns/urban cores.

There are many nice, walkable downtowns in Contra Costa County unlike much of Orange County. Also people in Contra Costa County don't pretend they aren't part of the SF Bay Area like OC tries to pretend they aren't part of LA. So clearly the "downtown/urban core" that people gravitate too would be SF and Oakland. But you seem to have trouble with understanding how traditional cities/suburbs/metropolitan areas function and work so...
Spare me. I am very familiar with cities, including SF and even your substandard neck of the Bay Area. You were the one who wrote in generalities but you don't want to own it. NOT ALL you say after making statements like 'close minded,' based, perhaps, on places like Fullerton in the days of Harvey Milk (based on your worth less references to OCweekly, a rag in OC which i's part Onion, part satire). OC is very different today as is America.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Ok and? Still didn't say "everyone" but there you go always trying to put words in people's mouths.

There are many nice, walkable downtowns in Contra Costa County unlike much of Orange County. Also people in Contra Costa County don't pretend they aren't part of the SF Bay Area like OC tries to pretend they aren't part of LA. So clearly the "downtown/urban core" that people gravitate to would be SF and Oakland. But you seem to have trouble with understanding how traditional cities/suburbs/metropolitan areas function and work so...
And who ever said we don't acknowledge we are part of metro LA, oh yeah, 'not all.' I'm proud to be part of metro LA, a real metro unlike San Diego.

Downtown Pleaston and Dublin are straight up hard core...

Old 09-27-2016, 01:52 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
And who ever said we don't acknowledge we are part of metro LA, oh yeah, 'not all.'

Saying OC is part of metro LA could get you beat up behind the Curtain.

Even though it's true....

Old 09-27-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
And who ever said we don't acknowledge we are part of metro LA, oh yeah, 'not all.' I'm proud to be part of metro LA, a real metro unlike San Diego.

Yeah only when its convenient and you need something to help make that lame, cookie cutter county act like it has a pulse.

Dublin doesn't have a downtown FYI. And I'm sure they would be hardcore in Orange County lol. Also neither of those cities are in Contra Costa County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California