Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 07:47 PM

25 posts, read 186,447 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just moved to Bakersfield from Nebraska. I travel a regional area and can live anywhere in the area. My wife just started working in Delano. We drove around there for a while the other day looking at housing. The northeast corner of the city has some nice subdivisions. The shopping is OK there. But, there is not much else. We saw nice houses on one side of the street and trashed houses on the other.

We live in SW Bakersfield. She takes 45 minutes to get to Delano. The drive is really not too bad.

If you want any kind of nightlife at all, move to Bakersfield. As said earlier, the northwest corner of Bakersfield is nice. The commute is not bad except when the fog rolls in.

Not sure what kind of budget you have for housing, but the Bakersfield area is about the lowest in the state.

Good luck with your move. Here is a web site - New To Bakersfield - New To Bakersfield.

Of course about the same distance the other direction is Tulare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,560 times
Default Delano!

Delano, Delano, Delano what's there to say about this little city?

First of all, I live here -- I lived here my whole entire life. And as much as I always dreamed of leaving this place.. I'd miss it.
Most people that never been here, would possibly think of it as a cruddy old place but they're wrong.

- There is non-stop housing projects.
(which are beautiful homes by the way. wild oak for instance.)

- Very nice and polite people.

- Non-stop retail shopping constructions.
(a marketplace is at work, including a cinema and many other things.)

- Schools performing very well.
(Such as DHS receiving 'one of Americas best schools' award. and Morningside elementary a California distinguished school)

- VERY Diverse community.
(Hispanics, Whites, African Americans, Filipinos and more)

- Delano is an agriculture city, mainly focusing on grapes.

- It's the second largest city in kern county, behind Bakersfield. and is the second fastest growing city in kern county, behind Bakersfield.

- Home to TWO California State Prisons. One being the newest one, which is a MAXIMUM prison.

- There are upperclass, upper middleclass, and lower middle class people who reisde here.

- Although, there isn't much 'young professional' jobs here. But -- a lot of them do live here, and work in Bakersfield. They would have a 30 minute commute but from what some people tell me.. They would rather live here than a large city such as Bakersfield.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:11 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times
Bakersfield is worse than Fresno from what I hear. But Fresno isn't that good either.

Out of Fresno, Los Angeles, San Diego, and San Jose. San Jose is best.

Delano is better than Bakersfield to live in. And it's a rapidly growing city. It should stop growth around 60,000 population in 2020-2030. It has the basics like Costco and a mall being constructed.

Not much of entertainment in the city, but you can stay in the city rather than having to absolutely go to Bakersfield.

California is really nice, probably same weather as Phoenix except more sunshine and u have the beach only a hour and half away.

the quality of life is getting better over there from what i hear from my mom's friend that used to live in the city.

i hope that helps, and i agree with everything the person above said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California