Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2015, 05:04 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Did you read my link? Whites - not Hispanic or Latino?

Yes I did and I understand the percentage, but like I have said numerous times already, seeing is believing as statistics can't always be relied on. The Census might state the 47% of people in SD County are Non Hispanic White, but just driving around San Diego, you might think that percentage is probably at 70-80% mark.

What has always been surprising to me, is even though San Diego borders Mexico, we have one of the lesser Hispanic populations in the entire state when you would think otherwise. Orange County has slightly more Hispanics, and definitely a lot more Asians than here.

I notice the changes once I start entering the Irvine area on the 5 the times I visit family in L.A..The Demographics start changing quickly, I actually see many more Asian people of all types driving around, and probably the same when it comes to Hispanics. I also notice more young people on the roads up there too compared to SD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 05:21 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I know what you are trying to say, because San Diego is a very desirable area to live in and people move here in droves from many, many states.

I feel that San Diego is still pretty White, but also diverse. It is an interesting dichotomy that I don't think will change. And people here get along really well, its very live let live.

Some outsiders would like that dynamic to change, but it won't happen.

San Diego definitely has that live and let live attitude. It's definitely less pretentious and less sophisticated than other Counties like OC.

And that actually might be a good thing.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:11 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveNotCommute View Post
But since it's there, I don't mind thinking about your point independently of my reply to mountainrose's post. Your concern was about H1Bs right? I have heard similar talk all around, enough to know it is definitely a thing. I haven't decided the extent of the effects but figure that while it's common, saying that they've taken over everything is too exaggerated. Is it happening often enough to affect enough people's decisions to live in California to alter the demographics? Not sure, but consider that it's likely that many of them adapted themselves out of technical positions and into management instead, which will get them enough pay to stay without H1B competition.

More importantly, consider who's making the decisions to hire cheaper labors with overseas origins. That's right, it's usually upper management, administrative staff and executives. The demographics of that group is overwhelmingly white male. So suppose I accept your premise that importing skilled labor from overseas is a major cause of white flight out of California, we would have to conclude that upper income white males are a significant force in driving middle income, educated white flight out of California.
True it isn't Hispanics.

A good example is in TX (CA is doing the same thing). A friend, a retired professor, tells me that almost all the American professors at Texas A & M have been fired or in their last year and ALL have been replaced by those form India and other Countries. Why? They can be paid less. The upper management remains white and rakes in the cash. Start checking for how many professors and Doctors are from other Countries. Not saying they are not good, but the American professors/doctors are taking a hit. Gets worse if you are just out of college.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:41 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,458,634 times
So San Francisco - Redwood City - S. San Francisco has turned things around a lot, going from losing 7.8% of its non Hispanic White population from 2000 to 2010 in the top table and then leading the way in the percentage growth of non-Hispanic White people from 2010 to 2014 as shown in the second table. Is it all about their renewed booming tech economy.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:48 PM

490 posts, read 659,828 times
What above the Mixed-Race population of California. The highest in the Union yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Old 07-19-2015, 01:00 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,458,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM90046 View Post
What above the Mixed-Race population of California. The highest in the Union yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Most Hispanics in California are mixed race. They are Meztizo White and Indian.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:44 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
Most Hispanics in California are mixed race. They are Meztizo White and Indian.
A little punctuation might help. As used in the U.S., Mestizos are non-white of mixed European and Amerindian descent.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:56 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
A little punctuation might help. As used in the U.S., Mestizos are non-white of mixed European and Amerindian descent.
So what if you have a blonde, blue eyed mestizo or a red headed mestizo( I have these in my family). They are not White?

Old 07-25-2015, 08:47 PM

282 posts, read 236,090 times
Where I'm at, whites are less than 50% of the population and you can really tell. There's a good reason whites want out of places that are "minority" dominated. It's nice to act like race doesn't mean anything, but until you've lived with them, it's just putting on blinders. Check out the top places to live. Every list you can pull up will list places that have virtually no minorities. Do minorities stay away from good areas or does something else happen?

Old 07-25-2015, 08:50 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setchel View Post
Where I'm at, whites are less than 50% of the population and you can really tell. There's a good reason whites want out of places that are "minority" dominated. It's nice to act like race doesn't mean anything, but until you've lived with them, it's just putting on blinders. Check out the top places to live. Every list you can pull up will list places that have virtually no minorities. Do minorities stay away from good areas or does something else happen?
Well it clearly means something to you, so why are you wasting your time here? Shouldn't you be packing your bags and heading for Boise right about now? hurry along now...those 'other people' might overrun the place before you get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California