Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 08:43 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,460,656 times

Advertisements

The Childless Millennial
A new report finds that today's twentysomethings have a lower birthrate than any previous generation

The Childless Millennial - The Atlantic

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 08:51 PM

62,885 posts, read 29,114,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
But in every election hot button topics blot out the real issues as people vote for or against abortion, homosexual marriage, etc. The politicians have people figured out and never run on truly critical issues (Note not dissing either issue mentioned, but there are more critical issues for the State as a whole) to the whole State. Just hot button ones to draw a vote. Amazing how many millions fall for it.
Illegal immigration is a real issue. Sorry if you don't agree. Maybe you should educate yourself on it.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:18 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,522 times
^^^It's really not. And a large number of the people who are so outraged by it harbor racist sentiments (whether they realize it or not).

Old 07-31-2015, 04:21 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
^^^It's really not. And a large number of the people who are so outraged by it harbor racist sentiments (whether they realize it or not).
Yep. And everybody else tries to ignore them, like when gramma passes gas.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:36 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,389,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Illegal immigration is a real issue. Sorry if you don't agree. Maybe you should educate yourself on it.
I agree, but how many politicians run on that as a major issue IN CA? How many people vote for hot button topics ONLY?

Old 07-31-2015, 06:46 PM

21 posts, read 26,290 times
From my personal experience whites are leaving the state. I know at least 20 family members and friends who packed up and moved to Oregon, Arizona, Texas and Colorado. As a white guy I don't really care. Why should I since I married my Mexican-American college sweetheart. California is going to look very different from what is does today and it is something that no one can stop and I chose to live my life and not worry about silly things.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:40 PM

21,728 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLife2Fullest View Post
From my personal experience whites are leaving the state.
You don't say! And the yolks remain? The state's in a scramble now for sure.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:30 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,630,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I don't get why conservatives can't have an intelligent conversation about immigration without resorting to straw men and lies. Nobody thinks that people should immigrate illegally without consequences. There is, however, a desperate need for immigration reform, which includes a greatly expanded and streamlined route for legal immigration of unskilled laborers. Illegal immigration is a symptom of this need, and villainizing people who come here for work is a pointless exercise that only makes racists like Trump feel good. It's a smokescreen. Talk about reducing illegal immigration all you want, but without a real conversation about immigration reform and how to address the very real need for low cost, low skill immigrant labor, it's just political posturing. There is no evidence to indicate that illegal immigrants are more likely to be criminals, and there is some reason to believe they might be less likely: http://www.economist.com/blogs/democ...tion-and-crime Additionally, note that all of those problems would be alleviated or even eliminated if there was a way for sufficient numbers of immigrants to come to the US legally.
I encourage you to become more educated in the facts underlying the immigration debate. If you're American, I encourage you to get involved (or at least make educated votes) to try and solve the problem instead of resorting to ignorant, xenophobic, anti-immigrant fear mongering.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:51 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,791,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
I don't get why conservatives can't have an intelligent conversation about immigration without resorting to straw men and lies. Nobody thinks that people should immigrate illegally without consequences. There is, however, a desperate need for immigration reform, which includes a greatly expanded and streamlined route for legal immigration of unskilled laborers. Illegal immigration is a symptom of this need, and villainizing people who come here for work is a pointless exercise that only makes racists like Trump feel good. It's a smokescreen. Talk about reducing illegal immigration all you want, but without a real conversation about immigration reform and how to address the very real need for low cost, low skill immigrant labor, it's just political posturing. There is no evidence to indicate that illegal immigrants are more likely to be criminals, and there is some reason to believe they might be less likely: [url=http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2015/07/immigration-and-crime]Immigration and crime: Not here to cause trouble | The Economist[/url] Additionally, note that all of those problems would be alleviated or even eliminated if there was a way for sufficient numbers of immigrants to come to the US legally.
I encourage you to become more educated in the facts underlying the immigration debate. If you're American, I encourage you to get involved (or at least make educated votes) to try and solve the problem instead of resorting to ignorant, xenophobic, anti-immigrant fear mongering.
The best post I have read so far. Unfortunately you are trying to have a rational balanced conversation on a board that attracts not so rationally balanced people.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:00 AM

21,728 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
I don't get why conservatives can't have an intelligent conversation about immigration without resorting to straw men and lies. Nobody thinks that people should immigrate illegally without consequences. There is, however, a desperate need for immigration reform, which includes a greatly expanded and streamlined route for legal immigration of unskilled laborers. Illegal immigration is a symptom of this need, and villainizing people who come here for work is a pointless exercise that only makes racists like Trump feel good. It's a smokescreen. Talk about reducing illegal immigration all you want, but without a real conversation about immigration reform and how to address the very real need for low cost, low skill immigrant labor, it's just political posturing. There is no evidence to indicate that illegal immigrants are more likely to be criminals, and there is some reason to believe they might be less likely: Immigration and crime: Not here to cause trouble | The Economist Additionally, note that all of those problems would be alleviated or even eliminated if there was a way for sufficient numbers of immigrants to come to the US legally.
Heh. As rosa surf says below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
The best post I have read so far. Unfortunately you are trying to have a rational balanced conversation on a board that attracts not so rationally balanced people.
OldGlory invokes the "Ignore" feature on any poster (including yours truly) who presents repeated intelligent rebuttal to his myopic thrashing. And then has the hilarious temerity to admonish those who post opposing views with "you should educate yourself". All while admitting readily that he refuses to read links provided that disprove his wild, baseless claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California