Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2015, 08:09 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
We are not a Hispanic, Asian, etc. country in identity. We have those groups living here but they are minority cultures. .
There you go again, You repeatedly refer to this American Culture and you are quick to tell us what it isn't Asian or Hispanic but you won't tell us what it is!
Is it:
German
Irish
Icelandic
Native American
Russian
French
African-American
East Indian
Hawaiian
Swedish
Fijian

We have citizens of all of those nationalities, so I want to know which ones are legit members of this "American Culture"

Last edited by 2sleepy; 07-11-2015 at 08:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 08:16 PM

163 posts, read 273,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
There you go again, You repeatedly refer to this American Culture and you are quick to tell us what it isn't Asian or Hispanic) but you won't tell us what it is!
Is it:
German
Irish
Icelandic
Native American
Russian
French
African-American
East Indian
Hawaiian
Swedish
Fijian

We have citizens of all of those nationalities, so I want to know which ones are legit members of this "American Culture"
Thank you!

I feel there is more resentment against non-white migrants (Asians, Hispanics, Pacific Islanders, etc) compared to white migrants e.g English, Irish, Russian, Italian, etc.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:28 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayDiva View Post
Thank you!

I feel there is more resentment against non-white migrants (Asians, Hispanics, Pacific Islanders, etc) compared to white migrants e.g English, Irish, Russian, Italian, etc.
Yep, I think that's a safe guess, I just want Mr. Old Glory to tell me which immigrants are acceptable and which aren't, it's always good to know where you stand

Old 07-11-2015, 08:43 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Quote:
Wasn't the English language was brought to the United States by the British. Technically they are "migrants" who brought "something different" :P

With all due respect, America is a nation built by immigrants from all over the world. What is its "culture"? What makes America unique is how it is melting pot of the various cultures that made the nation what it is.

If I want to speak my language with people who speak the same language, please don't be offended and think I don't want to "assimilate". I don't think that's a fair assumption.
So what? We were a new country without a language and we chose to adopt English as our de facto national language. Our constitution is in English. All government documents are in English and the majority of Americans speak English as it is their native language. Our nation was built by immigrants and citizens. Is there some point you are trying to make? We use to be a melting pot. Now the salad bowl concept is being encouraged. "Out of many....ONE". Apparently you don't get that concept.

I get offended when immigrants or whatever they are speak in a foreign tongue loudly so that everyone can here them out in public. It's rude. Private, quiet conversations are quite another thing. I don't care what language one chooses to speak in the privacy of their own homes either.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Thank you!

There is hardly any immigration from Europe anymore or any predominently white countries these days. Hard to resent people you don't see anymore. We have lost diversity in our immigration numbers. Latinos hold the highest quotas for legal immigration into our country by far and that doesn't even count their millions here illegally or their numerous family reunifications on our soil. No cause for resentment though, right? What happened to diversity?

Old 07-11-2015, 08:55 PM

337 posts, read 405,673 times
Quote:
There is hardly any immigration from Europe anymore or any predominently white countries these days. Hard to resent people you don't see anymore. We have lost diversity in our immigration numbers. Latinos hold the highest quotas for legal immigration into our country by far and that doesn't even count their millions here illegally or their numerous family reunifications on our soil. No cause for resentment though, right? What happened to diversity?
We should do away with diversity and encourage more Asian immigration. The 21st century belongs to Asia and it would serve us well to have many Asians(Chinese and Indians) in our midst so we can benefit from their increasing wealth and billion people consumer market. Europe is on its way to irrelevancy and will end up as a tourist destination.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
So what? We were a new country without a language and we chose to adopt English as our de facto national language. Our constitution is in English. All government documents are in English and the majority of Americans speak English as it is their native language. Our nation was built by immigrants and citizens. Is there some point you are trying to make? We use to be a melting pot. Now the salad bowl concept is being encouraged. "Out of many....ONE". Apparently you don't get that concept.

I get offended when immigrants or whatever they are speak in a foreign tongue loudly so that everyone can here them out in public. It's rude. Private, quiet conversations are quite another thing. I don't care what language one chooses to speak in the privacy of their own homes either.
I wonder if you are offended when you hear Russian, Italian, Scottish, Irish, Dutch etc...Or are you just offended when you hear Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese, Tagalog, Thai, Indonesian, etc....

Old 07-11-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
A good number of the "White dominated" European countries are Developed nations. Why would they want to move to a country benefits that pale in comparison to their own. It will not make sense. Plus, why will they move to country where they will be considered rude to speak their native language.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:13 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,331,178 times
Quote:
Hard to resent people you don't see anymore.
Oh, I don't know. You don't ever see me but you put me on "Ignore" because you resent me telling the truth so much.
Quote:
What happened to diversity?
Well now if that don't beat all coming from the guy who puts people on ignore because he can't handle their points of view conflicting with his own.

But hey, Glory can't read these comments to consider them. Well, unless someone who's not on his "Ignore" list quotes me in a response. Then he sees it before he realizes he's being mooned.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I wonder if you are offended when you hear Russian, Italian, Scottish, Irish, Dutch etc...Or are you just offended when you hear Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese, Tagalog, Thai, Indonesian, etc....
Yep, when they are spoken real loudly in public, I am. But I mostly only hear Spanish where I live. I rarely hear any other foreign languages being spoken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California