Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 06:11 PM

979 posts, read 2,093,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbolt View Post
I really just don't want to live somewhere hot in the summer or with high crime/drugs like Sacramento.
Sacramento has its bad areas, particularly North Sac, Del Paso Heights, Meadowview and South Sacramento. But there are plenty of neighborhoods that are charming filled with tree-lined streets. Sac isn't necessarily the most exciting city by any stretch of the imagination but is vastly underrated with a good amount of activities.

All inland cities are hot during the summer, and violent crime and drugs are far more prevalent in towns like Stockton and Fresno.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 09:16 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
What are you prepared to give up to live here?

Most people say they are willing to live in any part of CA, but they don't really mean it. What they really mean is they want to live in the nice coastal climate (or nearby inland valleys) that stretches from San Francisco to San Diego. This area has very expensive housing. Jobs here pay somewhat more, but nowhere near enough to make up the difference in housing costs.

You say you want a family. Well, it often takes 2 people working full time to maintain a very basic lifestyle here.. Owning a 3BR single familiy home in most areas requires not one, but TWO full time professional type incomes (i.e. an engineer & a nurse). And the public schools, outside the a few very expensive areas, are generally not that great. Are there exceptions? Very few in the coastal metro areas. And you can't count on being the exception.

The high cost of living here makes California very family unfriendly. The people who seem to make it work are:

--Upper middle class people who are willing to live in housing that would be considered working or middle class in other areas. Often folks in this category have one kid or none because their jobs and commutes are demanding. They not only have a high cost of living but they pay out the nose in taxes and get mediocre/poor public schools and public services in return. Those in this category with kids typically have much more hectic lives than those with similar jobs in cheaper areas.

--Immigrants from poorer countries who don't mind having 2 families living in homes designed for only one family. Not what I would want, nor most native born Americans.

--People living off various government subsidies. This isn't my idea of "making it work" but some people are ok with it (unfortunately). It's not a good life, IMO.

Sacramento seems to be the one inland metro area that people like. But it is still somewhat overpriced based on the amenities offered. It's not a place people dream of living, but it's pleasant. Its climate isn't as good as the coastal areas (a bit colder in winter, hot, but usually not humid in summer). It has better than average weather compared to most parts of the US, but beyond weather, other metro areas outside CA offer similar or better amenities at lower cost.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:20 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Is it possible for you to live in California?
No.
Pay no attention to those 38 million people milling around. They're all extras for Wizard of Oz.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:13 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Is it possible for you to live in California?
No.
Pay no attention to those 38 million people milling around. They're all extras for Wizard of Oz.
So that explains all the midgets outside my house.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
So that explains all the midgets outside my house.
No. THOSE midgets are milling around your house in response to that interesting ad you ran in the Craigslist Personals.

Btw, would LOVE a video of how that event turns out!

Old 07-12-2015, 02:40 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
No, I retracted that ad because I couldn't find a donkey up for the job. Not even blue pills were of any help.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
No, I retracted that ad because I couldn't find a donkey up for the job. Not even blue pills were of any help.
Apparently the midgets never got the cancellation memo. But anyway, whacha need a donkey for? Never heard of 'whips, chains, and Great Danes?' This IS California, ya know.

OP. Yes, you can live here. IF you can deal with the special kinda humor - and all the little people. Welcome

Old 07-13-2015, 04:29 PM

337 posts, read 405,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
What are you prepared to give up to live here?

Most people say they are willing to live in any part of CA, but they don't really mean it. What they really mean is they want to live in the nice coastal climate (or nearby inland valleys) that stretches from San Francisco to San Diego. This area has very expensive housing. Jobs here pay somewhat more, but nowhere near enough to make up the difference in housing costs.

You say you want a family. Well, it often takes 2 people working full time to maintain a very basic lifestyle here.. Owning a 3BR single familiy home in most areas requires not one, but TWO full time professional type incomes (i.e. an engineer & a nurse). And the public schools, outside the a few very expensive areas, are generally not that great. Are there exceptions? Very few in the coastal metro areas. And you can't count on being the exception.

The high cost of living here makes California very family unfriendly. The people who seem to make it work are:

--Upper middle class people who are willing to live in housing that would be considered working or middle class in other areas. Often folks in this category have one kid or none because their jobs and commutes are demanding. They not only have a high cost of living but they pay out the nose in taxes and get mediocre/poor public schools and public services in return. Those in this category with kids typically have much more hectic lives than those with similar jobs in cheaper areas.

--Immigrants from poorer countries who don't mind having 2 families living in homes designed for only one family. Not what I would want, nor most native born Americans.

--People living off various government subsidies. This isn't my idea of "making it work" but some people are ok with it (unfortunately). It's not a good life, IMO.

Sacramento seems to be the one inland metro area that people like. But it is still somewhat overpriced based on the amenities offered. It's not a place people dream of living, but it's pleasant. Its climate isn't as good as the coastal areas (a bit colder in winter, hot, but usually not humid in summer). It has better than average weather compared to most parts of the US, but beyond weather, other metro areas outside CA offer similar or better amenities at lower cost.

True that once you get out of San Diego, LA, Orange County and the Bay Area (the real California) you might as well be in Arizona or Nevada. Actually Arizona is cheaper.

Though life is all about compromise and I cannot for the life of me understand why people think its their right to live in a cookie cutter 4 bedroom 2 bath SFH with a yard in obviously popular places like coastal California or NYC area. Just settle for a condo/ townhome and enjoy what these areas have to offer on the outside, not inside your McMansion.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:14 PM

42,847 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crouching_tiger View Post
True that once you get out of San Diego, LA, Orange County and the Bay Area (the real California) you might as well be in Arizona or Nevada. Actually Arizona is cheaper.

Though life is all about compromise and I cannot for the life of me understand why people think its their right to live in a cookie cutter 4 bedroom 2 bath SFH with a yard in obviously popular places like coastal California or NYC area. Just settle for a condo/ townhome and enjoy what these areas have to offer on the outside, not inside your McMansion.
OH GOD NO! Nevada sucks big time! I lived in Reno for 14 years, it's not cheaper, property tax is higher, utilities are very high because of the extremes in temperature, and it is insanely windy. When we first moved in we had a solid teak patio set that was battered against our deck by the wind so badly that when we got home it looked like a pile of kindling. Not to mention it is boring as hell, well I guess if you like to ski and stuff it's ok (assuming it ever snows again) but outside of that, it is dreadfully boring and the longer you live there the smaller the area feels. Sacramento is hands down 100% better than Northern Nevada.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:38 PM

979 posts, read 2,093,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crouching_tiger View Post

I think Sacramento is just as quinnessential and much more affordable for middle class Californians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California