Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 06:47 PM

59 posts, read 86,973 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at the religion data for California Counties. I know there's a disclaimer in small writing reminding readers that the site doesn't vouch for the accuracy. Nonetheless, some of the "data" is jaw droopingly askew.

Scroll down to Religious statistics for Mono County: //www.city-data.com/county/Mono_County-CA.html

Apparently, 90% of the population of Mono County are Catholic.

First of all I doubt any county in the US is 90% Catholic. Secondly, Mono County of all places! Most of the population lives in one town, Mammoth Lakes. Anybody who has spent any amount of time there will be amused by this. But generally the religious "data" doesn't seem to be very accurate in general for any of the California counties. The "None" category always seems to be either grossly inflated or impossibly small (as in this case).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 09:08 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,483,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithM7 View Post
I've been looking at the religion data for California Counties. I know there's a disclaimer in small writing reminding readers that the site doesn't vouch for the accuracy. Nonetheless, some of the "data" is jaw droopingly askew.

Scroll down to Religious statistics for Mono County: //www.city-data.com/county/Mono_County-CA.html

First of all I doubt any county in the US is 90% Catholic. Secondly, Mono County of all places! Most of the population lives in one town, Mammoth Lakes. Anybody who has spent any amount of time there will be amused by this. But generally the religious "data" doesn't seem to be very accurate in general for any of the California counties. The "None" category always seems to be either grossly inflated or impossibly small (as in this case).
Oh, I am sure a few counties in the New England States and parts of the Midwest would be 90% Roman Catholic, at least nominally. It's the majority religion in Rhode Island now, for example.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Oh, I am sure a few counties in the New England States and parts of the Midwest would be 90% Roman Catholic, at least nominally. It's the majority religion in Rhode Island now, for example.
I'm sure there are counties with large catholic majorities in that part of the country. But not 90%. Nine out of ten people is A LOT. Even in bible belt territory you'd be hard pressed to find a 90% Christian identification county let alone being members of the same church or denomination. Even in instances of small counties with unusually high demographic homogeneity you would not expect such results.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:35 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,542,599 times
In my part of CA most are religious. Not Catholic so much. I think while Mono county is fairly religious, it is most definitely Not mostly Catholic.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
In my part of CA most are religious. Not Catholic so much. I think while Mono county is fairly religious, it is most definitely Not mostly Catholic.
The Catholic population seems to be vastly overestimated for many counties in California. Fair enough many of them have large Hispanic populations but even if we were to falsely assume that ALL of them were Catholic adherents the numbers do not really add up. The number of adherents always seems unrealistically out proportion to the number of congregations even if you were to assume Catholic congregations are, on the whole, larger.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:26 PM

605 posts, read 491,170 times
take it from someone in Buffalo--CD annual snowfall totals are a bit off, too. Going off memory from when I referenced them last year, I think suburbs of cities are assumed to have the same snowfall figures as the cities themselves, which given microclimates within a metro area is not a good assumption.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:26 PM

Found this:

Spoiler
http://www.thearda.com/Archive/Files/Descriptions/RCMSST.asp

This is the source of the data on religion for Counties (which is the same as you'll find for the city pages).

Quote:
Defining Membership: The most critical methodological problem was that of defining church membership. Since there is no generally acceptable definition of church membership, it was felt that the designation of members rested finally with the denominations themselves. In an effort to achieve comparability of data, however, two major categories were established: "Members” and “Total adherents.” Members was defined as “all individuals with full membership status.” Total adherents was defined as “all members, including full members, their children and the estimated number of other participants who are not considered members; for example, the ‘baptized,’ ‘those not confirmed,’ ‘those not eligible for communion,’ ‘those regularly attending services,’ and the like.”

Note: There are 39 counties reporting more adherents than total population. Reasons for this discrepancy will no doubt differ from county to county, but the most reasonable explanations would include U.S. Census undercount, church membership overcount, and county of residence differing from county of membership. This is especially likely in Virginia where many cities have been separated from their adjoining counties.
Yes, what could possibly go wrong with this data?

Old 07-15-2015, 01:06 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,454,163 times
I don't think it's possible to get an accurate count for religion. Is this self-reporting? Church attendance?

I have a good friend that states she's a staunch Catholic--which means that she got her kids baptized. No one in the family attends church--I don't think her kids have ever been to church--but if she were asked on a census or survey about religion I've no doubt she'd list everyone in the family as Catholic.

A better sense (to me) of the religion of an area is to look at the Yellow Pages and see how many churches there are, and what denomination.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
A better sense (to me) of the religion of an area is to look at the Yellow Pages and see how many churches there are, and what denomination.
Yes this is sort of how I've been looking at it. Now I am primarily considering just the number of congregations. City Data does report that and seems fairly accurate since this data is more straightforward. I can adjust in my head the fact that Catholic churches often have larger membership per congregation. Just not remotely to the extent some of this skewed data might suggest.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:03 PM

615 posts, read 665,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithM7 View Post

Why do you doubt the numbers? Church only lasts an hour and its just one time a week
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: