Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 02:23 PM

631 posts, read 749,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter14 View Post
Im on your side on most of these issues but you are another classic example of a SoCal resident who thinks CA consists of nothing BUT SoCal. You do realize there are PLENTY of other areas in CA one can live very comfortably for well under 100k a year right? Even areas right here in SoCal! Murrieta, Temecula, Lake Elsinore, Yucaipa, Palm Springs, parts of San Diego county and pretty much all of Kern county. That doesn't even include all the cheap places to live in central and northern CA. Seems you haven't looked around much at all. By the way, there are tons of illegals and foreigners in Texas too, plus you get the added bonus of terrible weather. Enjoy.
Define "Affordable":

California Home Values | Bankrate.com

Lowest average price area: Sacramento: $275,400+

Versus all the surrounding states:

Nevada Home Values | Bankrate.com

Las Vegas: $205,900+

Oregon Home Values | Bankrate.com

Salem: $193,900+

Arizona Home Values | Bankrate.com

Tucson: $178,100+

Stop being ridiculous, but just to humor you anyways. Let's look at "cheap" San Diego (Using the same source). California Home Values | Bankrate.com

San Diego: $510,300+
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 03:17 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
Aww, how nice that all of you have been able to make it in CA. My guess is that you're all probably older and established and bought houses when they were a hell of lot cheaper and the COL wasn't as high as has been in the last decade or two. How LUCKY and SMUG of you all.

For the rest of us who are in our 30's and have been struggling just to make it in CA , have some damn sympathy if we're a wee bit frustrated with "wonderful" CA. God forbid that we think that the inept government and foreign investors have RUINED the state and are ticked off about it. God forbid that we feel that we shouldn't have to earn 100K or more per year just to pay bills and not be on welfare. God forbid that we should want safe schools and neighborhoods for our children. And GOD FORBID that we don't want to pay out of the A$$ to have all of that!

Y'all can talk about how "beautiful" CA is every day of the week and twice on Sunday- that beauty (which is being dried up because of the horrible drought) does NOT justify the VERY high COL, the traffic or the inflated real estate market. It honestly doesn't. You're kidding yourself if you think that it does.

I am a native Californian and have seen the vast majority of the state go into the toilet. Whatever "unspoiled" areas that are left are unspoiled for a reason- less jobs and less everything. It took my DH and I SEVEN YEARS of trying to buy a house in CA and watching our hometowns get overrun by foreigners and the COL to skyrocket to finally understand that the probability of having a comfortable life in CA, one that can provide security to our children, was next to nothing.

So, we're moving to Texas in less than 2 weeks. And we are going to embrace that state because it is our new home. We will mourn the family and friends and familiarity that we are leaving behind but we know that CA is pushing middle-class families like ours out of the state and we weren't going to go down with the ship. We are not willing to be poor just to say that we live here.

I'm happy for the people who live in CA and are able to live comfortably. Good for you! But perhaps you should stop being so narrow-minded and believing that the rest of us who express frustration about a state that has almost eliminated the middle class, have good reason to complain about it.
Good post. I understand your complaints about CA. I hope things work out for you and your family in Texas.

I, too, am a native Californian that will be moving out as soon as I can. Opportunities for me to earn more money are non-existent. In order to live better than a paycheck to paycheck level in this state you must earn. With those earnings there must be opportunity. The doors have shut in my face. I'm forced to leave CA and try somewhere else. Back in 2011 I traveled through most states in the west and that trip opened my eyes. There's life- a lot of life- outside of California. It's not that CA is not for me. I'm not for CA. For those of you that are doing well I'm happy for you. I really am.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:30 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
Define "Affordable":

Stop being ridiculous, but just to humor you anyways. Let's look at "cheap" San Diego (Using the same source). California Home Values | Bankrate.com

Whats this prove? You are just looking at listing price averages, not median sales prices lol. I was talking about rentals. If you want to talk home prices, I can name you 25 areas in Bakersfield alone with home prices well under $200k. Some nice ones too like Ridgeview Estates, Sagepointe, La Cresta etc...In fact, the current median home sales price in the entire Kern county is only $195k. Thats just part of southern CA. Tons of cheaper areas up in central and northern CA too. As I said, anyone who thinks CA is only filled with $600k houses and you need to make $100k a year to survive here is clearly delusional and hasn't done any real research.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:43 PM

337 posts, read 405,838 times
Quote:
Whats this prove? You are just looking at listing price averages, not median sales prices lol. I was talking about rentals. If you want to talk home prices, I can name you 25 areas in Bakersfield alone with home prices well under $200k. Some nice ones too like Ridgeview Estates, Sagepointe, La Cresta etc...In fact, the current median home sales price in the entire Kern county is only $195k. Thats just part of southern CA. Tons of cheaper areas up in central and northern CA too. As I said, anyone who thinks CA is only filled with $600k houses and you need to make $100k a year to survive here is clearly delusional and hasn't done any real research.
Totally agree...there are cheaper options available in CA but some people are unwilling to compromise on space and commute. They expect to live in a 5000 sq ft. home within a 10 mile commuting radius.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:44 PM

59 posts, read 86,998 times
In many lines of work people tend to make more money for equivalent work in California than other places. So in many of these other states your mortgage payments might be cheaper but your pay checks will be smaller too.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:04 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,972,765 times
Quote:
God forbid that we think that the inept government and foreign investors have RUINED the state and are ticked off about it. God forbid that we feel that we shouldn't have to earn 100K or more per year just to pay bills and not be on welfare. God forbid that we should want safe schools and neighborhoods for our children. And GOD FORBID that we don't want to pay out of the A$$ to have all of that!

So, we're moving to Texas in less than 2 weeks.
Good riddance. Another taker who thinks s/he deserves everything without having to work for it (oh the irony, no?). Enjoy finding new scapegoats in Texas for your misery. We won't miss you.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:08 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Feeling grumpy.

Tired of the CA haters, both foreign and domestic on this board. IMO you have two options; either move to your chosen paradise state or don't move here. For the foreign haters it is simple; enjoy where you live and tell us how great Texas is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
I agree.

*funny that you specifically mention Texas. My husband came here from Texas. He had said that he would never live in California....it's been 12 years now and he would not choose to live in any other state.
Quote:
So, we're moving to Texas in less than 2 weeks. And we are going to embrace that state because it is our new home.
AH! Texas, the New great better place than CA! Well first it was Oregon in the 90s, then Colorado in the 2000s. Now it is Texas. How come *no one* is moving to Oregon or Colorado these days?

Quote:
Im on your side on most of these issues but you are another classic example of a SoCal resident who thinks CA consists of nothing BUT SoCal. You do realize there are PLENTY of other areas in CA one can live very comfortably for well under 100k a year right? Even areas right here in SoCal! Murrieta, Temecula, Lake Elsinore, Yucaipa, Palm Springs, parts of San Diego county and pretty much all of Kern county. That doesn't even include all the cheap places to live in central and northern CA. Seems you haven't looked around much at all. By the way, there are tons of illegals and foreigners in Texas too, plus you get the added bonus of terrible weather. Enjoy.
Made me laugh!

And in my desirable part of CA you do just fine on $45K.

Last edited by Mr5150; 07-15-2015 at 05:18 PM..

Old 07-15-2015, 05:22 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,138 times
Quote:
Aww, how nice that all of you have been able to make it in CA. My guess is that you're all probably older and established and bought houses when they were a hell of lot cheaper and the COL wasn't as high as has been in the last decade or two. How LUCKY and SMUG of you all.

I'm happy for the people who live in CA and are able to live comfortably. Good for you! But perhaps you should stop being so narrow-minded and believing that the rest of us who express frustration about a state that has almost eliminated the middle class, have good reason to complain about it.
Nope, nope and nope. I've bought and sold 3 homes in CA, all in the last 20 years. Paid over $400K for my little 1,200 square footer and didn't do it with a big down payment. We're also middle class. My husband was a stay-at-home dad for 8 of the last 20 years, so we did it on just my income. The guy down the street from us owns his home. He manages a Burger King. Another man in my court is a retired teacher. My neighbor works for UPS. The cashier at my grocery store just got a condo with his wife.

Have your opinion about CA, but don't write a very SMUG post assuming you know everything about every homeowner and every neighborhood in the state. You don't. Not by a mile.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:35 PM

192 posts, read 204,583 times
There are two basic types of people that irritate me the most:

The people who live in California and constantly complain about the state and talk about how they are moving out........ but never do. All they end up doing is sticking around and spreading their negativity. There's a website called calguns.net that is chock full of these types.

The people who live in Texas that refuse to acknowledge that California is superior to Texas in many significant ways. It's pretty obvious they were just raised believe it but never bothered to do any research.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:37 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
Define "Affordable":

You forgot this part:

Median Income Sacramento: $73,748

Median Income Las Vegas: $58,432

Median Income Salem: $45,564

Median Income Tucson: $30,981

Median Income San Deigo: $98,534
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California