Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2015, 06:32 PM

12 posts, read 10,597 times

Advertisements

Just some background:

I visited the Bay Area 2 months ago, and fell in love. I knew that I have to move to California, but the cost of living in the Bay area is ridiculous, and I plan to rent.
About me: I'm a Registered Nurse, which I know could help in CA (especially around the Bay), I'm married with no kids but would be bringing my single mother along (so the more room the better).

What I loved about the Bay Area thus what I'd want to be close to wherever I live: the ocean/bay (water in general), the mountains, and the nature. I don't care if it's at the bay itself, but being anywhere up to an hour or so away from the Bay and coast but having what I mentioned would be fine.

Like I said I'm a nurse so I'm sure some more expensive places MIGHT work if the income is high enough, I don't mind commuting just a bit, but the nice thing may be that I don't need to go to a downtown or major city to work in a local hospital.

Given that, where would be the best place to go? I've seen the East Bay may have some options, and for a bit of a stretch I'd even consider Sacramento for the cheaper cost of living. Anywhere else?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 08:00 AM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muhammadmq View Post
Just some background:

I visited the Bay Area 2 months ago, and fell in love. I knew that I have to move to California, but the cost of living in the Bay area is ridiculous, and I plan to rent.
About me: I'm a Registered Nurse, which I know could help in CA (especially around the Bay), I'm married with no kids but would be bringing my single mother along (so the more room the better).

What I loved about the Bay Area thus what I'd want to be close to wherever I live: the ocean/bay (water in general), the mountains, and the nature. I don't care if it's at the bay itself, but being anywhere up to an hour or so away from the Bay and coast but having what I mentioned would be fine.

Like I said I'm a nurse so I'm sure some more expensive places MIGHT work if the income is high enough, I don't mind commuting just a bit, but the nice thing may be that I don't need to go to a downtown or major city to work in a local hospital.

Given that, where would be the best place to go? I've seen the East Bay may have some options, and for a bit of a stretch I'd even consider Sacramento for the cheaper cost of living. Anywhere else?

Thank you.
You will do just fine except for the most expensive places like San Francisco or Palo Alto. Walnut creek might be a good choice for you. But if you wanted to live in Sacramento you could easily live in Folsom or Roseville both of which are very nice- or if you want a more urban experience, near midtown. Here are some RN salaries from Glassdoor

Old 07-18-2015, 08:15 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
I agree with 2sleepy. I think you should figure out where you want to live first, then look at the options for you as far as what you can afford, where the jobs are, what the commute would be. Then, if that first choice doesn't work out, try another.

The SF Bay Area has a lot of medical facilities you can work at. There are just way too many options to give you.

So, did you fall in love with a particular city? Narrow it down some, and you can get more specific help on neighborhoods, commutes, etc.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:47 PM

12 posts, read 10,597 times
Thank you for your answers.

I mean I fell in love with the whole bay area, including the 7x7 itself and many surrounding areas, so really being anywhere within an hour of the bay (and then just looking at the nearest hospitals from a place I'd think of living by). I work in a pretty crappy hospital now, so I don't need some state of the art facility.
I think the part that stood out the most to me was the peninsula, San Mateo cty, Pacifica, the areas around SFO (I realize some of these overlap) because of the proximity to the water and the mountains that are there, I would love just seeing them on my daily drive, it is a meditative element for me especially coming from the Midwest.
I also realize these areas are probably the most expensive and that the east bay may be a better bet, but I spent the least time there so more info about that area may help. I heard San Leandro is more affordable, is it safe?

Finally, San Jose has the highest paid RNs from my research, what's the closest I could live there both safely and affordably? SJ rents are even worse!

Old 07-20-2015, 10:31 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Your post is still too vague. There are just too many options.

If you work in SJ, then you should live in SJ. There are a lot of options there. If you are making good money, then you can afford higher rent.

San Leandro has safe and unsafe areas.

Really, start Googling. Look at rents on Craigslist.

Come back with specific questions. And I suggest you post specific questions in the San Jose or San Francisco/Oakland forums for those areas.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:35 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
A lot of hospitals use travelers that get to try an area for 6 months or longer...

The younger ones all want to live near San Francisco and pay the price... which can be complicated if you have a car... one of our nurses pays $400 a month to park her car 2 blocks from where she lives just avoid parking tickets.

The East Bay is large... the farther out the less expensive... the farther out the colder in winter and hotter in summer...

It takes awhile to get hired... get a job offer and go from there... Nurses make good wages... $50 is about typical with 1 year experience... can be a lot more per hour with specialties...

A couple of years back... SF General was advertising 100k for new hires...

Language skills can be very important... those that can speak Spanish are in demand... even for private Doctor Offices...

Don't forget Surgery Centers as these can often give you weekends free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California