Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 08:40 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,280 times

Advertisements

It seems like some of the farmers are starting to feel the heat from this backlash because all of the "no water" signs are now gone, including the one I posted a picture of that was overlooking a flooded field.

Now, new signs are popping up, which I'll have to get a picture of.

The caption reads "Is growing food wasting water?"

As worded, that's definitely a loaded question.

My response to that would be "it depends".

-On what kind of food is being grown, and of equal importance, where it's being grown.

-And where that food goes once it's grown. Is it being used to feed people at the local, state, and national level?

Or is that food being grown to be shipped overseas in pursuit of greater profits? While the people who live next to those fields are starving to death?

So is growing water a waste of food?

Not necessarily. But...it CAN be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 08:50 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,801,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Mean while the reservoirs we used to swim in during the summer can now be walked thru without getting your shorts wet. I love driving thru the valley seeing trailers parked next to the roads stating the drought is created by congress.
All we have to do up here in the mountains is look up in the sky and see it does not rain anymore.
Gee, when it was *mandated* that a certain flow had to go out to sea, it's not surprising that the reservoirs are empty much faster than they outherwise would have been....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California