Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 08:36 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times

Advertisements

To the OP, ask a question in a forum like this and you're going to get varied answers, no doubt. I grew up in Fresno and left there in '91 because it was the best thing for my husband and I at the time. I wanted to live somewhere with four distinct seasons and cooler Summers. We moved to Idaho and love it! However, that's what works for us.

My suggestion, book a flight and spend a few days there. A few days won't tell you everything, but it should be enough to give you a feel for whether or not you'd like to be there or in Clovis. I would not suggest moving any farther than Clovis due to the fog in Winter that hits the Valley, it can turn a 10 minute commute into 30!!

We do go back and visit family and friends, in fact we were there in June. Would I like to move back? No. Will I say that I am never moving back? No. Things happen in life for a reason so one never knows.

So go and check it out, if this job is a lucrative as it sounds, the company might foot the airfare for you to pop out for a person to person interview and to get a vibe on the area.

Whatever your decision, best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 08:44 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd005 View Post
... How bas is it really?
Very bas.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:58 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew C View Post
For those of you who live in Fresno, my home town, count your blessings for one, your standard of living. The central valley is the only place left in CA that can be reasonably enjoyed. While growing up in Fresno everybody felt the town didn't have much to offer so there were a lot of parties and social events. So the people focused on the people.I always liked the social atmosphere, and I can say that Fresnins(?) are socially more sophisticated than almost anybody,anywhere I've been. Why? People are all 'ya got in Fresno.There isn't a lot of distractions of desirable, fancy stuff. Most everyone knows enough about each other that bull**** isn't bothered with. It's affordable so one can venture out when you want and see all that your "missing" then return to the comforts of the predictable and stable, home. And people aren't desiring what you have in humble 'ol Fresno. I say good. Competing for basics like housing sucks and is dehumanizing. Others may feel special about the glamorous location they live in, and the "veiws"and pretty seascapes about where they live, but you don't have to worry about that in Fresno. With no one trying to impress you with where they live, you have a truer person. I grew up in Fresno and Santa Cruz, lived in La Jolla and am now in SF. (hopeless SF, it's changed) There is a lot of phony stuff that people bring when they live in a "desirable" place. I don't want to live in a place that is desirable. Problems! Especially if it's for money. Fresno is not for those seeking a fantasy ideal or conformation of success, but might allow for a more authentic lifestyle. My siblings and relatives that are in Santa Cruz like where they live, but they are always talking about or telling stories about stuff that happened in Fresno. I am observant. I notice, that they snub Fresno, but they miss Fresno (the people in Fresno). They don't talk about Santa Cruz in the same way. They never complain about perfect Santa Cruz. They still ***** about Fresno. Fresno has people that are content with people, cause it surely isn't for the great surfing or sking. Fresno is abundant with good people, space and breathing room for more. There is plenty to be grateful for in Fresno.
So...much like being in prison, there is a vibrant social atmosphere featuring down and out people who are trapped with no other choice but to comingle and try to get along. Nothing else to do. But it's cheap, so everybody can exhalt in that commonality. Sounds great!

Last edited by bigdumbgod; 08-04-2015 at 12:38 PM..

Old 08-04-2015, 12:28 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
So...much like being in prison, there is a vibrant social atmosphere featuring down and out people who are trapped with no other choice but to comingle and try to get along. Nothing else to do. But it's cheap, so everybody can exalt in that commonality. Sounds great!
I know Fresno is no small town, but I kind of get the point Matthew was trying to make.

It's refreshing and amazing to see what people occupy their time with in places without loads of excitement. They give themselves little chores, have little hobbies, little friends they spend all of their time with. They aren't commuting, aren't working two jobs, not worried about that missed paycheck that will force them to lose their abodes. They tend to not think they're superior because of their degrees, pedigree, prestige, income, job, class, or anything else.

It's nice.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I know Fresno is no small town, but I kind of get the point Matthew was trying to make.

It's refreshing and amazing to see what people occupy their time with in places without loads of excitement. They give themselves little chores, have little hobbies, little friends they spend all of their time with. They aren't commuting, aren't working two jobs, not worried about that missed paycheck that will force them to lose their abodes. They tend to not think they're superior because of their degrees, pedigree, prestige, income, job, class, or anything else.

It's nice.
I get it too, but experiencing so many of these places around the country, it's just an extension of "we all get to complain together", usually about Obama. Groupthink in isolated areas in good ol' USA predictably goes this way. And many are on the skids, barely or not at all employed. The conversations reflect the tedium borne of those of Drunk Uncle rants. The greatness of Trump is the latest topic.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:54 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
I get it too, but experiencing so many of these places around the country, it's just an extension of "we all get to complain together", usually about Obama. Groupthink in isolated areas in good ol' USA predictably goes this way. And many are on the skids, barely or not at all employed. The conversations reflect the tedium borne of those of Drunk Uncle rants. The greatness of Trump is the latest topic.
Yeah, but not always.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Yeah, but not always.
In a place like Santa Cruz, you might get liberal stuff thrown in a conversation. In Fresno, it seems a much greater chance ultra conservative stuff manages to butcher ANY conversation about ANYTHING. Surely not worth the bigger house.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:37 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
In a place like Santa Cruz, you might get liberal stuff thrown in a conversation. In Fresno, it seems a much greater chance ultra conservative stuff manages to butcher ANY conversation about ANYTHING. Surely not worth the bigger house.
It is not THAT bad. I know athiests, liberals, and other folks who manage to live in the Central Valley just fine. They often sit around the same dinner table with right wing crazies. Sure, it has some dittoheads around, but it's pretty moderate overall. Thankfully, the hispanic folks are less prone to going in for the redneck silliness. According to City Data, the largest religious group is nonaffiliated, religious folks are likely to be Catholic, with Evangelicals are less than 15%, and the Republican / Democrat split is pretty close to 50/50. So, it is not like liberals or intellectuals are endangered species there.

Let's consider the 2012 election.

In Fresno, it went 51% Romney, 48% Obama, 2% Other. (Obama won in 2008 50% /48%).

//www.city-data.com/city/Fresno-California.html

In Santa Cruz, it went 75% Obama, 21% Romney, 4% Other.

//www.city-data.com/city/Santa-...alifornia.html

Which town strikes you as more moderate?

Plenty of reasons to dislike Fresno, but political or religious intolerance is really not one of them. I don't think racism fits either. I am sure you can find some rednecks driving around in their monster trucks, but truthfully most people don't take them very seriously. They tend to not be the brightest bulbs.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
It is not THAT bad. I know athiests, liberals, and other folks who manage to live in the Central Valley just fine. They often sit around the same dinner table with right wing crazies. Sure, it has some dittoheads around, but it's pretty moderate overall. Thankfully, the hispanic folks are less prone to going in for the redneck silliness. According to City Data, the largest religious group is nonaffiliated, religious folks are likely to be Catholic, with Evangelicals are less than 15%, and the Republican / Democrat split is pretty close to 50/50. So, it is not like liberals or intellectuals are endangered species there.

Let's consider the 2012 election.

In Fresno, it went 51% Romney, 48% Obama, 2% Other. (Obama won in 2008 50% /48%).

//www.city-data.com/city/Fresno-California.html

In Santa Cruz, it went 75% Obama, 21% Romney, 4% Other.

//www.city-data.com/city/Santa-...alifornia.html

Which town strikes you as more moderate?

Plenty of reasons to dislike Fresno, but political or religious intolerance is really not one of them. I don't think racism fits either. I am sure you can find some rednecks driving around in their monster trucks, but truthfully most people don't take them very seriously. They tend to not be the brightest bulbs.
OK, at least not as bad as Bakersfield. Making progress!
The Most And Least Educated Cities In America - Forbes

Old 08-05-2015, 04:01 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
OK, at least not as bad as Bakersfield. Making progress!
The Most And Least Educated Cities In America - Forbes
I suspect those statistics represent Hispanics who drop out of high school far more than red neck conservatives. The lack of educational attainment of Hispanics is a huge issue in California, and Texas, IMO. Then again, the Democratic voting patterns are probably also driven, at least in part, by Hispanics. So, neither of us have proven our points very precisely. It could well be that the valley has a lot of low educational whites and Hispanics, but I think it also has a fair number of sensible folks too. Having grown up there, that is my recollection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California