Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 09:55 AM

23,513 posts, read 23,986,796 times

Advertisements

I think the crowding of the state definitely has a lot to do with it. I was born and raised here in CA. In the 70's, when I grew up, we knew all of our neighbors and socialized together. We held neighborhood block parties, went to the same school and everyone trusted each other. In the 80's, I observed a lot of changes taking place: new immigrants moving in, places getting more crowded, old neighbors moving out of CA, etc

These days, you'll be lucky if you even know one of your neighbor's names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 10:03 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post

Or lucky to not. Depending on what your neighbors are like.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:40 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I think the crowding of the state definitely has a lot to do with it. I was born and raised here in CA. In the 70's, when I grew up, we knew all of our neighbors and socialized together. We held neighborhood block parties, went to the same school and everyone trusted each other. In the 80's, I observed a lot of changes taking place: new immigrants moving in, places getting more crowded, old neighbors moving out of CA, etc

I remember those block parties. But what always puzzled me as a kid was that the families/parents from around the corner, or a block away, never came (if they were even invited). The socializing and friendliness seemed confined to the people on one's own block. That still seems strange.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:32 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,691,761 times
I grew in Southern CA in the 50s and 60s. Was gone for most of the 70s. Came back in 1979 and stayed until 2006, when I retired. I saw A LOT of changes. Most of them not good. BUT -- my kids and I and my ex -- we had a great time while the kids were growing up. Great friends. Salt of the earth co-coworkers (and I stayed in the same work place for almost 30 years, with mostly the same people). BUT -- I hated the last 5-10 years there (aside from my work, coworkers and friends). For instance, I remember that I could go to South Coast Plaza (in OC) at few times/days of the week, because otherwise it was so full of people you couldn't walk down the halls without bumping into people. I remember going to SCP during one Christmas season, close to 12/25, and not being able to find a parking place. SCP, for gripe's sake! The parking lots are huge! //// I felt more and more like a sardine, with hundreds of other sardines, in a very small can, and that my quality of life was rapidly going down the tubes. So when I retired, I left. //// Southern CA (not including Northern) has 23+ million people, most of them living on or close to the coast. An area the size of Southern CA simply can't handle 23+ million people . //// People here in C-D post, at times, about how rude Southern Californians are. I didn't find that to be true until after 9/11. It got worse after the crash of 2008. I think people are tired of trying to get ahead and not being able to do so. Tired of being worked to death. Tired of having lost their jobs and not being able to find a comparable one -- or any job at all. Tired from losing their homes. Married couples who want to divorce can't do so because they can't afford to! Frankly, life just s-cks for MANY people right now. Basic manners are, unfortunately, not near the top of their priority list.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:29 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I grew up in the SF Bay Area, and have only lived in Northern CA when I've been in this state. Whenever I've visited southern CA, and that includes Santa Barbara, Anaheim, L.A., I was always struck by how rude people were - especially people in customer service jobs, like hotels and restaurants. They treated me like I was a pain in the butt just because I was there, even though I was being friendly. The kind of behavior that would get you fired in Northern CA.

I have no idea why, but it's been consistent whenever I've gone to those cities.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:48 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusp1991 View Post
Are people in California meaner than other parts of the county?
Yes.

[caused by too much sun]

Old 08-01-2015, 05:28 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Yes.

[caused by too much sun]
LOL. And not enough water.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:06 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
LOL. And not enough water.
Dehydration and sunburns will make people cranky.

[and no fun to be around]

Old 08-01-2015, 07:28 PM

850 posts, read 796,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
A lot of friendliness does depend on peoples' stress levels. Commuting and struggling to make the rent is stressful. I would guess some folk have very little free time after working and driving and they are in a panic to get things done.

It also depends on your age and their ages, the type of lifestyle embraced by the locals, and whether yours is somewhat similar. If you are a lot younger, you are like their son or daughter, a lot older, like their grandparent, and that is a more friendly situation. Students are friendly to students, high rollers are friendly to high rollers, parents of toddlers to the same. Dog walkers are friendly to mellow dog walkers and surfers to surfers.

I worry that crowding makes people meaner, but maybe not. We'll see as "up-and-coming" towns like Raleigh and Austin get more crowded. Certainly lots of younger people are flocking to the urban centers, and why if not to look for new friends.
I never had a problem in New York, you will get the same reception as the poster was saying, in bars people talk to you, when I asked for directions people will give them and NY is crowded and stressful. I think LA people are ok, but they really are in their own world too much.

I agree some of the NE places like Phily/NJ the people are just intolarable.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:39 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I grew up in the SF Bay Area, and have only lived in Northern CA when I've been in this state. Whenever I've visited southern CA, and that includes Santa Barbara, Anaheim, L.A., I was always struck by how rude people were - especially people in customer service jobs, like hotels and restaurants. They treated me like I was a pain in the butt just because I was there, even though I was being friendly. The kind of behavior that would get you fired in Northern CA.

I have no idea why, but it's been consistent whenever I've gone to those cities.
That sucks. Next time, stay in Long Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California