Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 10:41 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,698,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum_ View Post
Yeah, yeah...."charming South"....except some little secrets, like the hatred towards those who're different. Been there seen that. Including 4 people being shot dead at gas station for their ethnicity, or physical attacks on ones I knew, or some things would not like to remember or describe online. The South is a dump. In many places there, if you're from 2 hours away...."you're not from here", even if you look and speak just like them. As to landscapes of "brown California": Appalachian mountains do not --remotely -- come close to Sierra and South Cascades in beauty, it's like comparing Yosemite and local county park. Also not sure since when giant Northen California green forests turned brown. Finally, hurricanes and tornados...there's a reason houses are cheap.

I get it that you don't approve of southern racists. But I think you are dead wrong on the bolded.

I have seen the Smokies, the Linville Gorge, the rock faces of N. Georgia and E. Tennessee and the splendor of the cove forests. They take a back seat to no landscape, even the Sierra. For one, the plant, especially tree diversity, in the Southern Appalachians is amazing, and the rivers and creeks to die for. And don't get me started on Appalachian thunderstorms and music. You are welcome to your opinions, but call one of America's most beautiful an interesting regions a county park is just clueless.

To the OP, here is the thing. I think the smart person is one who can swim upstream. Find beauty where other's can't. As Ed Abbey said (sort of) "This is the most beautiful place in the world. There are many such places." Otherwise, we will all be crowding into San Francisco, Portland, Boulder, Burlington, Miami, Aspen or wherever paying a fortune so we can pat ourselves on the back with the other transplants going on about how superior we are and how we were way too cool to stay in Memphis, Dallas, Turlock, Yakima, Winnemucca, or wherever with the unwashed. In my experience, most of the most desirable, idyllic places are overhyped and overpriced. Find your own slice of heaven on your own terms.

There is a lot to love and to hate in California, so check it out and decide for yourself.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:11 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,238,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I get it that you don't approve of southern racists. But I think you are dead wrong on the bolded.

I have seen the Smokies, the Linville Gorge, the rock faces of N. Georgia and E. Tennessee and the splendor of the cove forests. They take a back seat to no landscape, even the Sierra. For one, the plant, especially tree diversity, in the Southern Appalachians is amazing, and the rivers and creeks to die for. And don't get me started on Appalachian thunderstorms and music. You are welcome to your opinions, but call one of America's most beautiful an interesting regions a county park is just clueless.

To the OP, here is the thing. I think the smart person is one who can swim upstream. Find beauty where other's can't. As Ed Abbey said (sort of) "This is the most beautiful place in the world. There are many such places." Otherwise, we will all be crowding into San Francisco, Portland, Boulder, Burlington, Miami, Aspen or wherever paying a fortune so we can pat ourselves on the back with the other transplants going on about how superior we are and how we were way too cool to stay in Memphis, Dallas, Turlock, Yakima, Winnemucca, or wherever with the unwashed. In my experience, most of the most desirable, idyllic places are overhyped and overpriced. Find your own slice of heaven on your own terms.

There is a lot to love and to hate in California, so check it out and decide for yourself.
Right. The Appalachians are beautiful and have more varieties of trees than all of Europe and of course CA. yes there are beautiful areas in the CA Mountains and the redwoods, but the Appalachians beat them overall.Having driven and played in most of the Mountains in CA I am in a position to evaluate both areas as right now I am IN the Appalachians.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:40 PM

21,564 posts, read 16,072,372 times
Is that banjo music I hear up river a piece?

Old 08-07-2015, 08:44 PM

8,175 posts, read 16,567,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Is that banjo music I hear up river a piece?
Lol, you Betcha!!!

Old 08-08-2015, 12:00 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,939,460 times
I have lived all over the US and California has it all from the beautiful coast to the mountains. That said, i would not live in sprawling LA or downtown SF unless i was rich and single. That is not to say some parts of California are downright affordable and have 4-seasons. So much to see in do in Calif. You just have to zero in on your fav places.

This forum is great as you can always find local residents that know and area and give you information to make your move. California has some faults but work arounds are easy and you don't have to put up with humidity and bugs!

As in the old show tune,,,,"California is OK!"

Old 08-08-2015, 12:09 PM

337 posts, read 403,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Right. The Appalachians are beautiful and have more varieties of trees than all of Europe and of course CA. yes there are beautiful areas in the CA Mountains and the redwoods, but the Appalachians beat them overall.Having driven and played in most of the Mountains in CA I am in a position to evaluate both areas as right now I am IN the Appalachians.
Lol get back to me when you can find so something comparable to Yosemite, Sequoia national park, Lake Tahoe, Kings Canyon, Big Sur, Lassen national forest, Mendocino national forest, Santa Monica recreational area, Fort Tejon, Los Padres national forest, Joshua Tree national forest etc etc in Tennessee. Lol the comparison is a total joke.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:39 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,698,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crouching_tiger View Post
Lol get back to me when you can find so something comparable to Yosemite, Sequoia national park, Lake Tahoe, Kings Canyon, Big Sur, Lassen national forest, Mendocino national forest, Santa Monica recreational area, Fort Tejon, Los Padres national forest, Joshua Tree national forest etc etc in Tennessee. Lol the comparison is a total joke.
Have you been there? Seriously. I has some beautiful areas, really.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:41 PM

2 posts, read 5,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Boi View Post
Perfect weather, decent sized cities, interesting geography, progressive, and a powerful state. All I hear is how high the cost of living it is there, but I would expect it due to California being the most desired state in the country. Here in Tn, we do not have anything but bad weather, football, and church. I was born and raised here and I have seen so many transplants from California move here. My first question is why the **** would you leave Cali for Tn?
In Nashville, overall, people are getting richer.

Opposite in CA.

Coastal California, though, is just so damn nice that we all put up with the mess that is this state.

Maybe someday I will run and institute major changes. After all in Sac it reads "Give me men the size of my mountains".... Till then the state will remain a disaster for most people.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:44 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,023,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Because the liberals Democrat Communist party have totally destroyed this once great state.
Part of it is also because a lot of people coming in from other states, especially New York. New Yorkers rapidly changed California's vibe.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:32 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,238,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crouching_tiger View Post
Actually lots of things in the Appalachians, you just are not aware of it.

I agree CA is beautiful and my favorite State (But not my wife's). I also have a balanced and realistic view having lived in States all over this Country and traveled most of it. CA is beautiful but it does not have all the beauty or even most of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California