Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 07:49 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Not all illegals are Hispanics, there are likely a fair number from other countries here also. There are criminal smuggling rings involved in bringing Asians over for the right price.

Ringleader Of Human Smuggling Ring Dies, Leaving A Complex Legacy : Code Switch : NPR
That's true. Illegals have been deported back to 189 countries in the past. However, the majority of illegals are Hispanics and that's just a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 09:36 PM

148 posts, read 136,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, congress did not follow through on their promise to secure the border. That didn't make Reagan an idiot. However, he was wrong to grant amnesty anyway. If you think that Hispanics are going to vote for the GOP if they promise amnesty then you'd be wrong. They will still vote Democrat because they are already promising amnesty among other issues that the Democrats stand for. It wouldn't be the Santa Maria Hispanics that voted Republican because of paying illegals less. They have a whole different agenda. Both Democrats and Republicans hire illegal aliens whether it be Santa Maria or some other city.
Because the congress is not one person unlike the president. It's made of hundreds of different people who have different opinions and perspective. Either way, why did Reagan even sign it in the first place.

Santa Maria is 70% Hispanic, and largely vote Republican. Even the Hispanic politicians of the city are Republicans. The Maldonados are of Mexican descent and always identified with the Republican party

And your last line...was that not exactly my point earlier? I have reiterated it but you seemed determine to make it look like as if amnesty is a Democrat monopoly. Even Dubya Bush (another famous republican) entertained the idea of amnesty until he got obsessed with Iraq and Afghanistan

Old 09-14-2015, 10:38 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
No, congress did not follow through on their promise to secure the border. That didn't make Reagan an idiot. However, he was wrong to grant amnesty anyway. If you think that Hispanics are going to vote for the GOP if they promise amnesty then you'd be wrong. They will still vote Democrat because they are already promising amnesty among other issues that the Democrats stand for. It wouldn't be the Santa Maria Hispanics that voted Republican because of paying illegals less. They have a whole different agenda. Both Democrats and Republicans hire illegal aliens whether it be Santa Maria or some other city.
Please don't try to defend Reagan when it comes to his immigration policy, he campaigned on a promise to open the border to both Mexico
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUXXw6xr4gI

Old 09-15-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabartek View Post
Because the congress is not one person unlike the president. It's made of hundreds of different people who have different opinions and perspective. Either way, why did Reagan even sign it in the first place.

Santa Maria is 70% Hispanic, and largely vote Republican. Even the Hispanic politicians of the city are Republicans. The Maldonados are of Mexican descent and always identified with the Republican party

And your last line...was that not exactly my point earlier? I have reiterated it but you seemed determine to make it look like as if amnesty is a Democrat monopoly. Even Dubya Bush (another famous republican) entertained the idea of amnesty until he got obsessed with Iraq and Afghanistan
I already stated that Reagan was wrong in granting that amnesty but he only did so with the promise to secure the border. He thought only 300,000 would come forward for it when it turned out to be 3 million. Yes, Bush entertained another amnesty also. I don't know what your point is about bringing up the past. Most regular Republican citizens do not want amnesty. Can you say the same for Americans who are Democrats?

I don't know what your point is that most Hispanics in Santa Maria vote Republican either. There are many cities in this country that are dominated by Hispanics and they mostly vote Democrat so what's your point?

Old 09-15-2015, 08:33 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I am surprised the Federal Government hasn't been sued in these cases since they fail to secure the border.
You can't sue the mutha.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:28 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,179 times
Quote:
That's true. Illegals have been deported back to 189 countries in the past. However, the majority of illegals are Hispanics and that's just a fact.

That is rather obvious due to the long southern boarder with Mexico

Old 09-15-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
That is rather obvious due to the long southern boarder with Mexico
Yeah, but dare mention that fact and you're called a racist.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:22 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,179 times
Quote:
Yeah, but dare mention that fact and you're called a racist.
I know that all to well from living in SF

The news story below brings up another problem with the immigration issue:

Asian 'anchor babies': Wealthy Chinese come to Southern California to give birth - LA Times

Birth Tourism: Chinese Flock to the U.S. to Have Babies | TIME.com

Old 09-16-2015, 12:56 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It would have helped if we hadn't passed NAFTA and destroyed Mexico's farming economy
True, and I agree, BUT....understand there are whole villages in Mexico and parts of South America where people make a living solely on the making of cocaine for export to the US. Does that mean it's our fault when we choose to put the cocaine makers out of business and then those people come over here illegally because they have no other way of making a living? Are we obligated to allow cocaine to circulate through our country just because those people can't find any other kind of work?

Quote:
Link, please to your claims in your first sentence. Doesn't matter anyway just as long at there are millions of Hispanics still here illegally. Get back with me when most to them leave and then we'll talk.
Otherwise I agree with your last paragraph completely.
What we know about illegal immigration from Mexico | Pew Research Center

"The number of Mexican immigrants living in the U.S. illegally has declined.
In 2012, 5.9 million unauthorized immigrants from Mexico lived in the U.S., down about 1 million from 2007. Despite the drop, Mexicans still make up a slight majority (52% in 2012) of unauthorized immigrants. At the same time, unauthorized immigration overall has leveled off in recent years. As a result, net migration from Mexico likely reached zero in 2010, and since then more Mexicans have left the U.S. than have arrived."

and:

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...n-mexico-2010/

Old 09-16-2015, 08:17 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
True, and I agree, BUT....understand there are whole villages in Mexico and parts of South America where people make a living solely on the making of cocaine for export to the US. Does that mean it's our fault when we choose to put the cocaine makers out of business and then those people come over here illegally because they have no other way of making a living? Are we obligated to allow cocaine to circulate through our country just because those people can't find any other kind of work?
I'm sure you understand that cocaine is not made, it's grown from the Coca plant. There are very very few ordinary citizens in Mexico who profit from the horticulture or processing of illegal drugs, the cartels control it. And if throwing money at a problem helps, the trillion dollars we spent on the drug war should have eradicated drugs- unfortunately supply and demand remain the same.

I never said that we are obligated to allow undocumented people in the country because we helped destroy the Mexican agricultural economy, I said that when you take away people's way to support their family you can hardly expect them to sit at the border and beg for pennies, they will migrate to where ever they can survive- you and I would do exactly the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California