Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2015, 05:43 PM

137 posts, read 125,805 times

Advertisements

CA income tax is so small, I'm not complaining. Federal Tax is something that I am complaining about. Over $25k a year....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 05:54 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
There are half-decent parts of California, such as around Sacramento, or the more sparsely populated far northern region of the state which surprisingly has no cities over 100K. I'm guessing that housing in the Central Valley is still kind of expensive, but manageable,
The population of Sacramento in 2014 was 485,000 making it the 6th most populous City in California. 2.4 million people live in the greater Sacramento region. The median home price is somewhere between 246 and 270k depending upon whose numbers you use. The median income in Sacramento County is around 73k.

I am not sure why people who don't live in California try to tell the us what the state is like. can't recall ever going to the Illinois forum and 'educating' residents about their state

Old 08-31-2015, 06:01 PM

962 posts, read 631,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The population of Sacramento in 2014 was 485,000 making it the 6th most populous City in California. 2.4 million people live in the greater Sacramento region. The median home price is somewhere between 246 and 270k depending upon whose numbers you use. The median income in Sacramento County is around 73k.
When I said "the northern region has no cities over 100K" I was referring to even farther north than Sacramento or the bay area. I was referring to the mostly rural areas far up north where Chico and Redding are located. That region is mostly rural. If some of the state's residents moved up there, the density would even itself out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I am not sure why people who don't live in California try to tell the us what the state is like. can't recall ever going to the Illinois forum and 'educating' residents about their state
I also hang out in the Alaska forum a lot of the time. I have had an interest in that state since I was a pre-teen and would actually like to live there. I know a lot about Alaska, California, Minnesota, and many other states, even though I don't live there. In regards to Alaska, I've been going there for advice and thoughts about building big cities there.

Last edited by It is 57 below zero; 08-31-2015 at 06:55 PM..

Old 08-31-2015, 06:51 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times
Quote:
I know a lot about Alaska, California, Minnesota, and many other states, even though I don't live there. In regards to Alaska, I've been going there for advice and thoughts about building big cities there.
You can read up on a place, look up stats, and surf the internet all day. Whatever floats your boat. But to assume that means you "know it" more than people who have spent decades living here is completely absurd.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:49 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
In regards to Alaska, I've been going there for advice and thoughts about building big cities there.
You're planning to build a big city in Alaska? Such valiant initiative! Perhaps consulting with the Palins is in order. You want to include the famous view from your eastward deck, you know.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:53 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
I also hang out in the Alaska forum a lot of the time. I have had an interest in that state since I was a pre-teen and would actually like to live there. I know a lot about Alaska, California, Minnesota, and many other states, even though I don't live there. In regards to Alaska, I've been going there for advice and thoughts about building big cities there.
Let me answer this succinctly: no you don't.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:58 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
You're planning to build a big city in Alaska? Such valiant initiative! Perhaps consulting with the Palins is in order. You want to include the famous view from your eastward deck, you know.
Wasn't Glen Beck going to build his own city?

Old 09-02-2015, 10:26 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,762,488 times
Quote:
Haha this is so funny. I see that in the AK forums you talk about how you "hang out" in the CA forums to talk about how much the state is "falling apart". If you're just going to continue to rant about things far beyond your own comprehension, go visit another forum.

You're threads are really starting to clog up the first page, and since they aren't the least bit interesting, you've left me incredibly boooooorrrrrreeeeeddddddd. Please stop.

BTW, like others have said, you clearly know very little about the state.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:47 PM

962 posts, read 631,234 times
I feel like people are mis-reading my statements sometimes. Why can't I just ask a simple question about why California's economy seems to be falling apart? I haven't said anything hateful, and I never said that California is a bad place. I just want to know why it seems to have so many problems.

Is California a bad place to live? No.

Do I dislike the state? No.

Is California a challenging place to live? Sometimes, unless you have a decent job and a good background check.

I hope that clarifies anything I may have said that was taken the wrong way. I get my information through extensive research, even if I don't live in the place. It's not a bad place to live, but some of the problems I listed in my other posts here could be difficult to deal with for some people if they aren't prepared.

I have only posted one thread here, this one a few weeks ago. Today I just put up a poll about how people feel about living there.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:50 PM

218 posts, read 214,499 times
Quote:
California has a jumble of laws that are much stricter than most other states, and also very harsh penalties. What makes California a state with unusually S.T.R.I.C.T. legislation? There's a long list of strict laws in the state, but here are a few major ones:

1) Urinating on the streets can get you put on the sex offender list for the rest of your life. So someone who has to use the bathroom seriously badly, and no bathroom is nearby, must face a tough decision of either having an accident, leading to severe embarrassment, or to go outside in a corner, and be listed as a sex offender for life. It's obviously not very intelligent to urinate on the streets, but most states don't issue penalties of that kind of severity, and would most likely be a misdemeanor at most.

2) The gun laws are far stricter than most other states and some local city ordinances are "no-issue" (such as Los Angeles or San Francisco), meaning that most regular citizens can't apply for a gun permit at all. That violates the second amendment, which allows the right to bear arms. This is actually counterproductive, because stricter gun laws do not always automatically mean crime rates are reduced, like some people think. One example of this is that Illinois has very strict gun laws but Chicago still has a high murder rate. Criminals will always find a way to get a gun illegally, and the problem is then intensified because regular citizens can't even buy a gun for self defense. That allows criminals who are already breaking the law, to take advantage of that even more. Furthermore, open carry isn't even allowed in a county of over 200,000 people. California is a very large state, having nearly 15% of the total US population, with about 35 million people, and most big cities have higher crime rates so the stricter gun laws in those cases are understandable, but conversely, Texas is also a highly populated state but has very lenient gun laws.

3) The cost of living is extremely high. As in, the "average family", meaning, neither rich or poor, can't even afford to buy a decent house in some places, resulting in a high poverty rate and a higher average household size. In short, if you have a nice house and a nice job and for some reason you get fired, you're SCREWED.

4) Recently, the use of water has been seriously regulated, resulting in legal issues in California for excessive use of water. No other state has a law like that. People need water to survive, so why shouldn't people be able to use as much water as they need?

5) The age of consent in California is 18, as is a few other states. But California has it set up in a way that two people who are 17 1/2 years old, that have sex with each other can both be charged with a misdemeanor of raping each other under statutory rape and both can go to prison for a year. Age of consent and statutory rape laws are meant to protect younger children from being pressured into having sex from much older adults. I've never heard of two teenagers the same age both at the same time being charged with a misdemeanor. Usually, when it comes to statutory rape, one person is an offender and the other is a victim. If both are the same age, how is that determined? In short, no minors can have sex in California AT ALL, not even if they are in the same age and grade level, which is absurd considering that most high schools and middle schools offer sex education, and teen pregnancy rates have dropped in recent years. By grade 12, nearly half of females have already had sex. If this was the case, a big chunk of the state's teen population would serve some time in prison each year.

6) Just recently, California is no longer allowing exceptions from immunizations based on religious reasons and other stuff. If that's something that's been allowed for many years, it's likely the law got changed as a result of some form of abuse; has the exceptions from shots became abused in any way recently?

7) Kindergarten age entrance strictness: recently, California has had a December 2 cut-off for kindergarten for many years, but moved it up to September 1. This isn't new; most other states have also followed suit in recent years, but California is requiring people born between the September through December window to participate in a transitional kindergarten program, and then standard kindergarten the next year. Meaning that the kids born between that window can no longer be pushed ahead anymore. Many states make exceptions based on good cause and good reason, but California moved up the cutoff they had for decades, out of strictness. If children are not ready, sure, hold them back a year. But what this does is prohibit children who *are* ready to start, from starting school, without leniency.

8) The state rarely gives anyone mercy or forgiveness or second chances if someone makes a mistake. One example of this is in June 2009, a school district in a Los Angeles suburb made a mistake in having some school days a little too short by a few minutes to the point where it didn't legally count as a school day, in some of its schools. The state, out of anger, took it out on the kids and tried to have them spend 34 more days of class in summer school for the mistakes of adults, and threatened to take away a large amount of funding. Most places, if kids spend too little time in school, lose funding based on the number of days/hours they fell short. But this was a more serious penalty.

Sorry this is so long. I would like to know what makes California have far above-average strictness in its legislation, than most other states?
Number 1. I seriously doubt that law is the actual law, without extenuating circumstances, so you would have to mention the actual law, or I simply don't believe you.
Number 2.we are not big into gun violence in this state and we believe in tight gun control legislation. If you don't like it, move to Texas. That is just the way we are here.
Number 3.yes, the cost of living is high here. What is your point. Again we are willing to pay higher costs of living because there is no other state this great. Why do you think everyone wants to live here and not in Nebraska?
Number 4.seriously. Mohave you not heard of the "worse drought in recorded history here? That's not the brightest of questions.
Number 5. Why would you even know that? Makes me wonder why this random question is even being asked. Again. State the law, or I call bull.
Number 6. Californians have so many immigrants, should they not get immunization so many children can get deadly sick because one parent decides they don't want their child to have to get immunization? And yes, several children got whooping cough, and one other disease, I can't remember as I don't have school children. But it is a safety issue.
Number 7. The schools in California are way overcrowded, so my guess would have something to do with that fact. But like you said, there is an alternative so I don't see a problem. My own son was a high achiever and there was no problem in moving him forward. Again, not sure where you get all these laws.
Number 8. The "state" isn't an entity. It can't get angry. The state school days are determined by the various school boards and many people involved in making these decisions. I doubt that anger had anything to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California