Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 03:13 PM

30,895 posts, read 36,946,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
That is the perfect example.

An event occurred and then was used to change policy and restrict rights in another areas that is loosely related but pushes the agenda forward.
Yep, there's even a name for it. Problem - Reaction - Solution. In the end, the "solution" always centralizes power and control in fewer and fewer hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gjk1Qt8MG4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
What does that have to do with the vast majority of excessive regulations?

Yes air pollution is down and that is great, but that is one issue only.
Exactly. I'm generally in favor of the strict emissions laws. But we don't necessarily need to be that strict about other things.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
There is a difference when one has freedom to move
And native born Americans have actually been leaving the state for more than 2 decades. Most of the population increase is coming from people from other countries where the quality of life isn't as good as anywhere in the U.S. (plus natural increase from births).

Old 09-26-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Its 37 million because of 18 million illegal aliens thanks to Democrat party sanctuary cities, and state.
You do your cause no good when you make shyt up.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
The Democrats pulled that number from their behind, they have no idea how many there are. Theres that many in the San Fernando Valley. Theyve been using that same 11 million number for a decade.
Um, no. There aren't even 11.4 million in Los Angeles County let alone the SFV. Moderator cut: see note Worse, others who are also against illegal immigration end up being painted with the same brush because of your ignorant statements.

Last edited by Count David; 09-29-2015 at 12:22 AM.. Reason: we could have done without that sentence.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
Because we're smarter than everybody else. People have gotten so "me, me, ME, and screw everybody else" that they need to be told what to do. Very unfortunately.
Actually, the more laws on the books, the LESS civilized the society. We're not smarter. The laws are just a reflection of how uncivilized we are that we need to have them for so many things.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:00 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,329,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Actually, the more laws on the books, the LESS civilized the society. We're not smarter. The laws are just a reflection of how uncivilized we are that we need to have them for so many things.
Every law is born from somebody being a jerk.

A few cities where I live are talking about banning (or already have banned) leaf blowers. I don't use one myself, and probably would have voted it down in my neighborhood because I didn't see the big deal. Lawn mowers make noise, so do lots of things. What's a 1/2 hour on a Saturday morning?

Until I lived in a house where my neighbor (an obsessive compulsive with issues) uses her blower for--and this is really no exaggeration--4-5 hours straight, often on Sundays, often late into the evening.

I'm not actively out looking to pass a law, but now if one came on the ballot, I would probably vote in favor.

I really agree with your post. If people are respectful of each other, considerate, and tolerate a little bother once in a while, you don't need laws. It's when a few people start taking the "F-U" attitude toward everyone else that people start wanting to fight back.

I also think you see more laws in less monogamous areas of the country where you're more likely to get clashing cultures. Fewer laws in states where most people are the same race and religion, and the family trees don't have many branches.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:38 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
What does that have to do with the vast majority of excessive regulations?

Yes air pollution is down and that is great, but that is one issue only.
Because most of the "strict laws" that the OP listed aren't even laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
1) Urinating on the streets can get you put on the sex offender list for the rest of your life.
Not necessarily. In California to be convicted of indecent exposure, the prosecution must prove an intent to sexually arouse, or sexually insult or offend. Indecent Exposure - FindLaw

Quote:
3) The cost of living is extremely high. As in, the "average family", meaning, neither rich or poor, can't even afford to buy a decent house in some places, resulting in a high poverty rate and a higher average household size.
Obviously not a law.

Quote:
4) Recently, the use of water has been seriously regulated, resulting in legal issues in California for excessive use of water. No other state has a law like that. People need water to survive, so why shouldn't people be able to use as much water as they need?
Gosh darn that drought we're in.

Quote:
5) The age of consent in California is 18, as is a few other states. But California has it set up in a way that two people who are 17 1/2 years old, that have sex with each other can both be charged with a misdemeanor of raping each other under statutory rape and both can go to prison for a year.
Please give us a link. I don’t see the information you state on this one: http://www.publiccounsel.org/tools/p...hould-Know.pdf

Quote:
6) Just recently, California is no longer allowing exceptions from immunizations based on religious reasons and other stuff. If that's something that's been allowed for many years, it's likely the law got changed as a result of some form of abuse; has the exceptions from shots became abused in any way recently?
Measles | Cases and Outbreaks | CDC

Quote:
7) Kindergarten age entrance strictness: recently, California has had a December 2 cut-off for kindergarten for many years, but moved it up to September 1. Many states make exceptions based on good cause and good reason, but California moved up the cutoff they had for decades, out of strictness. If children are not ready, sure, hold them back a year. But what this does is prohibit children who *are* ready to start.
Let us know when you find a 4 year old who’s “ready” for kindergarten today. Or to compete against all the other nearly--if not already--6 year olds enrolled.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:33 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Every law is born from somebody being a jerk.

A few cities where I live are talking about banning (or already have banned) leaf blowers. I don't use one myself, and probably would have voted it down in my neighborhood because I didn't see the big deal. Lawn mowers make noise, so do lots of things. What's a 1/2 hour on a Saturday morning?

Until I lived in a house where my neighbor (an obsessive compulsive with issues) uses her blower for--and this is really no exaggeration--4-5 hours straight, often on Sundays, often late into the evening.

I'm not actively out looking to pass a law, but now if one came on the ballot, I would probably vote in favor.

I really agree with your post. If people are respectful of each other, considerate, and tolerate a little bother once in a while, you don't need laws. It's when a few people start taking the "F-U" attitude toward everyone else that people start wanting to fight back.

I also think you see more laws in less monogamous areas of the country where you're more likely to get clashing cultures. Fewer laws in states where most people are the same race and religion, and the family trees don't have many branches.
Quite often, it is politicians trying to look like they're actually doing something. That and we live in an exceedingly litigious society, with LOTS of lawyers everywhere.

That said...those leaf blowers blow some rather nasty particulates into the air for us to breath. Also don't really clean much, just moves stuff from one area to another.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:43 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,329,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Quite often, it is politicians trying to look like they're actually doing something. That and we live in an exceedingly litigious society, with LOTS of lawyers everywhere.

That said...those leaf blowers blow some rather nasty particulates into the air for us to breath. Also don't really clean much, just moves stuff from one area to another.
I have often wanted to go one-on-one, her leaf blower to my broom. In the time it takes her to blow everything around and around and around into a pile, I'd be done and working on my first cocktail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California